Previous in Forum: Draining a welded-closed bottle...not a recycling & not reusing the bottle   Next in Forum: cfbc boilers
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Commentator

Right material for press forging.

07/24/2008 10:54 PM

Dear sir,

Can any body will advise me which is material is good to use for press forging .press es are 2500 and 4000. whther die steel DIN 2714,H11,H13. or any other material.

What shuold be the heat treatment to get better production and lowest die were.

Thank you.

V.D.DEODHAR.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73

Re: Right material for press forging.

07/25/2008 10:39 AM

This sounds a little to important to rely on hearsay from a forum. You need to hire a metallurgist.

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 16

07/27/2008 10:53 PM

More information is required to even begin to understand what your requirement will be.

1. What kind of forging are we talking about, drop forging or deep drawing or something I haven't thought of?

2. Is the metal being worked hot or cold?

3. What size radius are the edges or transitions that you are trying to achieve?

4. What dimensions are you starting with and what sizes do you hope to finish with?

5. What are the qualities that you require in your finished product?

When these initial questions are answered they will allow more detailed question to be asked to determine the appropriate material.

With the heat treatment part of your question are you talking about pre-process annealing or post work annealing or hardening.

BAB

In reply to #2

07/28/2008 7:23 AM

Dear BAB,

I am talkining about hot drop/press forging in materials like carbon steel, stainless steel, alloy steel with machining allowance is about 0.75/1.0 mm perface and innternal draft angles 1deg. parts like flanges and fittings and auto componants.

Can I use DIN2714 , H11, H13 with some heat treatment , so the dies will withstand for lowest die were and longest die run.

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #3

07/28/2008 9:27 PM

Drop forging is generally done in steps from bar to finished item. The fewer the steps that you take to achieve the finished item the more wear the tool will suffer.

Another wear contributing factor is how slow the process is and the ambient temperature. If you have a slow process, automated or manual and a low ambient temperature you will increase your wear.

The tool steels that you mentioned, H12 in particular is a hot work tool steel. I am not familiar with the DIN standard but here are some links to show you the comparisons and virtues of the various grades.

http://www.wisetool.com/designation/toolsteel.htm

http://buy.ecplaza.net/trademall/47018/hot_work_tool_steelcold.html

The radius that you are trying to achieve are tight but easily achievable with reasonable tool wear so long as you don't want to achieve a finished item in 2 or 3 hits.

BAB

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BlueAussieBoy (2); Bricktop (1); vidyadhar deodhar (1)

Previous in Forum: Draining a welded-closed bottle...not a recycling & not reusing the bottle   Next in Forum: cfbc boilers

Advertisement