Previous in Forum: The First Underground Freight Tunnel   Next in Forum: Sea Monsters??
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 8

German Maglev Train Crash

09/22/2006 4:42 PM

A demonstration maglev train crashed in Germany today killing 23 people and injuring 10. The train apparently hit part of the terminal at about 150 km/hr (its maximum speed is 450 km/hr).

Maglev is one of those technologies whose time never seems to come. The technology has been incubating for many years. This particular maglev demonstration track has been running since 1984.

The first commercial maglev system recently opened in Chinal, connecting Pudong Shanghai International Airport and the Shanghai Lujiazui financial district. An end-to-end ride on the 30 km line takes about eight minutes.

I wonder what this accident will do to the future of maglev?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Re: German Maglev Train Crash

09/22/2006 6:27 PM

Since the maglev train crashed into a maintenance vehicle which was on the elevated tracks, I would suppose that more effort will be taken in the future to ensure that humans do not take maintenance vehicles onto tracks which are in use. This had nothing to do with the train's technology - other than the fact that it did not have a means to detect that an obstacle was on the tracks ahead.

In reply to #1

09/22/2006 7:29 PM

The technology has been around for some time, even used on some amusement park rides. So it would be a shame if it is black-labeled because of this human error accident. We can't abolish technologies everytime something goes wrong, we just need to learn and improve on them. Image, we wouldn't have any cars or planes or boats or shuttles after their first crashes.

In reply to #2

09/23/2006 8:03 PM

Folks let's face it about technology - If it is German Engineered then they will find the ways and means to improve upon any misgiving and you can be guaranteed it will yet be even finer than before...

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

In reply to #1

09/22/2006 8:05 PM

Thanks for the clarification on what it hit. I messed up there. I think the big holdback on maglev over the years has been the cost, rather than the safety.

I'm not aware of its use on amusement park rides. That's pretty neat. Do you know of examples?

Register to Reply

In reply to #3

09/23/2006 9:21 AM

I remember seeing a Daily Planet show about a mag-lev (or linear-motor) application for a Superman ride at a Six Flags park. I saw this about 1-2 years ago. The ride would go straight and then shot up 90° and roll back down.

Australia - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #6

09/24/2006 6:41 AM

There's a ride at Dream World in Queensland, Australia called "The Tower Of Terror". The Tower's electro-magnetically powered 'Escape Pod' accelerates its passengers (8 person?) to a massive 160 kph in seven seconds before it climbs to almost 38 storeys high. My wife and I, with our two kids went on this ride. They clocked us at 153 kph (95 mph). Unbelievable. Yeah Technology!

http://www.dreamworld.com.au

In reply to #9

10/06/2006 10:10 AM

From their web site it looks like, while it is electromagnetically powered (meaning it uses a motor), it doesn't seem to be electromagnetically levitated. It appears to have the same type of wheel system as a standard coaster.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #12

10/09/2006 5:08 AM

Steve,

This is straight from a DreamWorld Rep.

"The pod is launched down the track using magnetic fields. A system of Linear Synchronous Motors (LSM) is utilised to propel the vehicle on the horizontal length of track, with a constantly increasing acceleration applied to achieve a top speed of up to 161 kph. The easiest way of looking at it we generate a large magnetic wave that pushes the pod down the track."

Cool

In reply to #3

09/23/2006 10:23 PM

A Maglev train (also German engineered ) in Shanghai, China caught big fire just last month, when it was entering the terminal, although no body was injured. Two big accidents in two straight months, this really makes me doubt about its safty.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #8

09/25/2006 11:41 AM

mdbobbo: U. S. Patent 5321615 has been available since 1994 to operate an automatic airport, or an auto highway since 1994. The FAA suppressed the testing of it by Penn state, who was doing 85% OF ALL HIGHWAY TESTING AT THAT TIME. FAA SAID THEY WOULD ACCEPT HIGHWAY TESTING. PENN STATE; (DR. STRIET) WAS REFUSED TO TEST PATENT. I OFFERED TO GIVE FAA A MLS THAT WOULD SET AN AIRCRAFT AT THE END OF THE RUNWAY WITHIN 2 FEET OF CENTERLINE. BOTH THESE WOULD ALLOW EVERY AIRPORT TO BE ON TIME IN BAD WEATHER, AND VIRTUALLY ELIMINATE CRASHES ON THE RUNWAY, OR ON LANDING OR TAKEOFF. ALL ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS CHECK OUT 5321615 ISSUED IN 1994 TO ME. IF IT IS AS I SAY, THEN BOMBARD THE FAA TO TEST AND USE IT. OUTSIDE TESTING, ONLY. THE FAA WOULD FAIL IT IN ANY EVENT. PENN STATE WOULD BE A GOOD TEST AUTHORITY. FRIS. THE FAA GOT TO KEEP THE RADAR CASH FLOWING. CASH AND CARRY GOVERNMENT ; EVEN IF THE CARRY IS DEAD BODIES. THE FAA SPENT ENOUGH CASH ON FAILED RADARS TO PUT MY PATENT IN EVERY AIRCRAFT, AND IN EVERY AIRPORT IN THE UNITED SATES. MOST CRASHES ARE PILOT ERROR. BECAUSE THERE IS NO CONTROL OF AIRPORT TRAFFIC, BUT VISUAL. TIRED AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS. COMPUTERS NEVER GET TIRED, AND CAN BE PREVENTED FROM CAUSING PROBLEMS WHEN FAILING. FRIS. eLECTRONIC aND eLECTRICAL ENGINEERS CHECK OUT 5321615. IF IT IS AS I SAY; FLOOD THE FAA WITH LETTERS, EMAILS TELLING THEM TO ALLOW THE PENN STATE TEST THEY PREVENTED IN 1996-7. FRIS.

Re: German Maglev Train Crash - an alternative design

09/23/2006 5:27 AM

The technology that comprises maglev will persist in the future of travel although in it's present form only allows for inter railway station to station transportation in large heavy units.

I have proposed that the systems for maglev is restructured to become an intercity guideway for private passenger transportation including small to medium sized goods (at the first instance) with a added advantage of transportation to private and business locations via standard roadways. Were this technological upgrade to be implimented the affore mentioned accident would be avoidable because the newer technology would be enhanced to locate any other vehicles on a given section of track.

Because the newer system would be designed to carry smaller units than the now used maglev trains any such disaster involved with the newer design would involve fewer occupants, were the inevidable to actually happen (a small comfort I agree) and yet the newer technology would also have the advantage of the units exiting the maglev super highways (with the ease of a lane change) thus elliminating congestion and making a much larger impact on transportation in general.

09/23/2006 8:04 AM

Hi, I want to know where i can find more info about this accident and wath was the cause. Thanks. AS

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

10/06/2006 3:51 AM
Register to Reply
Associate

04/27/2015 10:27 PM

We are now into maglev elevators.Does anyone know the costs of maglev? Does the EMF reach whosoever was inside the maglev compartment?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); auser (1); Desert Toad (1); dogsbestfriend (1); Fris (1); geomech (2); mdbobbo (1); Steve (2); stever (2)

Previous in Forum: The First Underground Freight Tunnel   Next in Forum: Sea Monsters??

Advertisement