Previous in Forum: tightening torque values for metal screws into plastics???????   Next in Forum: fixture for transporting more than two windmill blades together
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 68

Video explanation-How to make Bio-Diesel from cooking oil

09/26/2008 3:12 AM

If you want to save of the running costs of your car try cooking oil.

Firstly you must 'wash' it and this video explains how to get from cooking oil/Bio-Diesel.

Listen to all the safety advice!

Note: This video is nothing to do with me! I found and watched it and thought it may be of use to some people. This is pretty small scale though.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Re: Video explanation-How to make Bio-Diesel from cooking oil

09/27/2008 1:29 PM

I will refer you the current projectof the cCty of Makati - Philippines, wherein the Philippine National Police had an on going project which converted the used cooking oil from Mcdonald outlet aand other company/restaurant into a bio-deisel.

Said by rpoduct are now used on their police cars and others transport equipments.

FYI

In reply to #1

09/28/2008 7:27 PM

Hello nelson1:

this sound a great idea and, although it may not 'save' that much money, it does make use of an otherwise trashed product?

And at a guess I would say there is maybe half the 'shops' and 'cafe's' on most streets will have waste cooking oil of some kind which has to be disposed of.

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96

09/28/2008 6:59 PM

In reply to #2

09/29/2008 9:01 PM

Hello bwire,

hope you are well............

If the thumbs-up is to me I thank you. If not then doesn't matter.

The reason for my note is I like your version of the thumbs-up a lot! Have you noticed an 'optical illussion?.............Look at the thumb for a few seconds. Then look just a few inches away, with the thumb in your peripheral vision.

Unless I have had one too many, it appears to spin in the reverse direction?

In reply to #4

11/01/2008 2:02 PM

You were slipping which way?

Location: Earth. England/America -the birthplace of the C. S. A. - anywhere I imagine -home.
Good Answers: 33

09/30/2008 9:55 PM

A lot depends on whether they give away used oil or charge for it. More places are charging for used oil to recoup the cost of new oil. Then add in the cost of the purifying equipment and supplies, plus your own labor. Then there may be fuel taxes to be paid. If the total cost is still less than diesel it is worth doing it yourself. Governments can process used oil in larger quantities, making an economy of scale and they can sometimes avoid the taxes.

The amount of used oil is limited by the amount used to fry foods, and fried foods are being cut back by health concerns. There will be a point where competition for used oil to power more cars will drive the price up and make a shortage of used oil. Then what? Buy fresh vegetable oil? Not economical, so turn back to regular diesel and put your homemade fuel equipment into the trash.

Better to figure out a way to grow your own plants to make the oil for your own fuel. That makes it so complex though! Think carefully before you start making used cooking oil into fuel, it may not be for you.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #5

09/30/2008 11:03 PM

All good points, particularly where the availability issue comes into play. A fair amount of research has been done on that point about crops from which to get fuel, though, and two sources of interest arise.

One, not researched, but looking fairly likely, is Algae (yep, pond scum). It only has to be "fatty" to have enough oils in it to be useful, and algae has that. The question is how hard it would be to extract it.

A second, and anywhere South of the Mason-Dixon line and on or east of the Mississippi is getting overrun with it, is Kudzu. This one has had some research done, and it looks like a prime candidate for both fuel extraction (bio-diesel) and small-scale pelletizing for burning in heating apparati.

I'm planning to work some experiments with these into my budget when I retire, but until then, I live in a city, in a town-house, where none of this can help me, because I'm not allowed to do any of it. And Kudzu grows all over, right outside my door. What a waste. I plan to raise some Tilapia (the fish, which is vegetarian, and eats algae) and raise the algae to experiment with as an adjunct. For the present, I'll have to drive somewhat south of where I plan to retire to harvest some kudzu for testing, but at the rate its moving north, I expect to see it in my retirement area soon, maybe even before I retire.

We shall see. And if no one else looks into these before I get to them, God willing, I will, and I'll let you all know what I learn from it.

Micah

In reply to #5

10/27/2008 12:00 PM

It is the type oil used for frying being cutout but frying food is still going on

Though growing the seeds for oil may complicate it is a mature point. Twenty acres to grow then harvest then pasture then harvest then rest is a complete cycle. While use as pasture process oil from seed.

What I need is to change a oil-fired boiler to burn the filtered oil directly instead of necessitating processing to bio-diesel.

Location: Earth. England/America -the birthplace of the C. S. A. - anywhere I imagine -home.
Good Answers: 33
In reply to #8

11/01/2008 1:19 PM

The nanny-state Food Police are opposed to all fried foods as being unhealthy, so use of oil for frying is likely to decline also.

Algae is also a plant and there are many others which are good sources of oil for fuel. Kudzu can grow faster than a foot per day and in some places the trees, creating a strange, cool "Kudzu World". Kudzu is nutritious as livestock feed and is even, I have heard, edible by people. It could be a good fuel source.

One of the best sources of oil is hemp of the non-drug variety. This is the hemp you could smoke by the bale and never get high. But simply because it looks just like the drug variety, it is illegal to grow and if you grow it you can be charged with a drug violation. Stupid laws.

In reply to #5

11/01/2008 2:05 PM

At present most eatery's pay a rendering company to provide a disposal for their used cooking oil.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

09/30/2008 11:52 PM

Here's a recent thread on this topic:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/6874#newcomments

Including some good links.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

babybear (2); bwire (4); Garthh (1); micahd02 (1); nelson1 (1); Taganan (2)

Previous in Forum: tightening torque values for metal screws into plastics???????   Next in Forum: fixture for transporting more than two windmill blades together

Advertisement