Previous in Forum: fire furnace   Next in Forum: ground
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

Good Answers: 3

best free resources for steam and refrigeration design

09/26/2008 3:12 PM

I got an offer to become and assistant professor (actually the one in charge) at my university, and before accepting I want to know what can I do.

The course is supposed to teach the basics of steam, refrigeration and air conditioning. Because the library is full of old crap I want to plan something new to offer.

Do you know of any good free resources on the design of steam, refrigeration and air conditioning systems. And I really mean design, not just descriptions of parts and a history of the evolution of the technology.

The course will be delivered in the last year of Mechanical Engineer, in parallel to the thesis work.

If the resources (free ebooks, videos, simulations, etc) are in Spanish it is much better.

This is a public university and I can't get the bureaucrats to spend some money on new books. I have to donate them or give the material in cd's to the students.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 80

Re: best free resources for steam and refrigeration design

09/27/2008 10:23 AM

Look at AC and heat pumps manufacturer sites. They often have applications notes and schematics. Components manufacturers also have design info regarding the compressors, the valves...

09/27/2008 5:42 PM

I can suggest a number of Manufacturer sites: Large multi-nationals are best bet to find info in Spanish. Also they have resources to support technical resource departments that in turn publish numerous design guides and manuals for professional development, teaching product applications etc. They are also more likely to have such information accessible thru the internet.

For general HVAC equipment, system sizing & Controls I would suggest

Trane

Carrier

For more specific info on air distribution, VAV boxes Diffusers/Grilles:

Titus

Price

include a fairly comprehensive design discussion in their catalogs.

The web sites are extnsive and have large sections devoted to regular home-owners with non-technical discussions. You may need to register as an engineer or professional to get more detailed technical information.

The manufacturer's representatives for such companies should be happy to help you out.

Also don't overlook the representatives themselves as technical rsources to assist you. Many manufacturer representatives like to teach and could be interested in donating time to teach short seminars to your students. They may also have old catalog materials, etc. that you can copy to use as supplemental course materials.

Also, contact professional engineer societies. You may find a number of members would be interested in teahing specific subjects or sponsoring field trips to construction sites or prominent buildings to look "behind the curtains" so to speak.

I also advise don't automatically throw out the "old" stuff. Alot of that stuff worked, (some didn't) and came into wide spread use (forming the basis for more modern systems). You might be surprised to find out how much "old" stuff gets re-packaged as "new" ideas.

To pull together a solid comprehensive curriculum from such diverse sources will take a lot of organization and work

Good Luck,

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

09/29/2008 11:48 AM

Thank you.

Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member

In reply to #3

09/29/2008 11:39 PM

I would suggest Trane engineering manual if you give me your e-mail ID i shall try scan the relevent pages and mail it to you as pdf files and i need at least three days to send it please email me when you need .

crm

In reply to #4

10/01/2008 6:44 PM

My email is gussosa@yahoo.com

Thanks.

09/30/2008 9:26 PM

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/steam-engineering-tutorials.asp

http://www.steamuniversity.com/university/

(Lastly, I have to ask - what are Uruguay's laws/rules regarding filesharing and downloading copywrited material? Or the University's rules regarding sharing of this information? Because I can help you out with a lot of 'pirated' stuff )

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #5

10/01/2008 9:10 AM

Though not a legal expert:

Advise you avoid "pirated" materials period. (exclamation mark)

This is not a criticism of "Guest" or the materials he may have available.

Copywrite protected materials must be legally obtained & used. Otherwise you risk criminal prosecution and civil actions.

At best, the "University" would disavow any knowlege of the materials' provenance. If it came to court proceedings, the "university" almost certainly will not assist in any legal defense resulting from illegal use of copywrited material. The professor could find himself on his own, forced to defend himelf legally with his own funds to the point of poverty. Even if he settles out of court, the "university" may still fire him.

I don't know Uruguay's laws either, but I do advise "BE CARFUL" when dealing with these sort of matters.

To quote a friend. "AVOID legal entanglements like the plague."

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #5

10/01/2008 7:02 PM

I already have Spirax Sarco in my list. Actually, that's the handbook where I learnt about steam.

However, it is too brand oriented and at least in my case it tires with that. I would punch the author in the face one for each time he says how great steam systems are and how great Spirax Sarco is. He would be a hamburger at the end.

I will advice that site as a reference, not as a course book. Having said that, does anyone have the old pdf files of the course? I lost the cd where I had them.

Armstrong seems fine for the absolute novice, but I see they are lacking many information. More than half the site says "in construction". I think I will send the guys there for the first lesson and then move on to higher stuff.

Have you got Army or Navy books? Those are free to distribute. Proprietary books are more like a moral problem. My university has even published foreign books in pirate editions.

My old computing course used a pirate edition of "Matlab for engineers".

In reply to #8

10/01/2008 7:58 PM

Here is a good site for all the absolutely (guilt) free stuff:

http://www.everyspec.com/

http://www.artikel-software.com/file/Refrigeration_and_Air_Conditioning_Equipment_Cooling.pdf

http://artikel-software.com/file/steam_power_plants.pdf

Actually come to think of it, all the stuff at the Artikel-Software site is free game.

You can also find free handbooks here:

http://www.hss.energy.gov/NuclearSafety/techstds/standard/standard.html

But no real steam, refrigeration, or A/C.

On another note here are a couple good free books as well:

http://www.lightmypump.com/pump_book.htm

http://web.mit.edu/lienhard/www/ahtt.html

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

10/01/2008 8:00 PM

Whoops that last link is a little off ......... here it is:

http://web.mit.edu/lienhard/www/ahtt.html

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #8

10/01/2008 8:05 PM

Ohhhhh - just stumbled on this one - be sure to not miss it at the Artikel site:

http://www.artikel-software.com/file/hvac%20and%20dehumidifiying%20systems-b.pdf

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #8

10/01/2008 9:41 PM

Arrrggghhhhhhh matey, me forgot this page as well -

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/industry/bestpractices/steam.html

ye may find some good treasure thar.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #12

10/02/2008 9:42 AM

Jar sailor! Me thank you a lot!!

Ye will find that beer volcano and stripper factory in heaven for this.

Great links!

Ramen

In reply to #13

10/02/2008 10:26 AM
Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

In reply to #14

10/03/2008 11:36 AM

Thanks, I already use Engineering Toolbox. It is in my quick dial.

In reply to #15

10/03/2008 6:33 PM

How about these?:

http://www.wlv.com/products/databook/databook.pdf

http://www.wlv.com/products/databook/db3/DataBookIII.pdf

Chapter 15 of Book III covers a little refrigeration.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

In reply to #16

10/15/2008 11:32 AM

Great. Thanks.

Good Answers: 182
In reply to #16

11/05/2008 9:23 AM

I tried to download but there are only tables of contend.

I get at every trial an error answer. How could I open them?

Please advise.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #18

12/03/2008 2:32 PM

Seems to be an error at the website. Those links inside the tables should lead you to downloading each chapter of the book.

Send them an email requesting the material or use the other stuff in this post.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (7); crm (1); gussosa (7); marcot (1); nick name (1); Rifle47 (2)

Previous in Forum: fire furnace   Next in Forum: ground

Advertisement