Previous in Forum: Portable Dual Headphone Dist. Amp   Next in Forum: PCU for SCADA communication
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Participant

CPUs

11/18/2008 8:53 AM

How do Central Processing Units work?

Help would be appreciated

Ross McDonald

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Commentator
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 5

Re: CPUs

11/18/2008 9:40 AM

I have several books written about this topic, I had to read and understand them to learn how a CPU works.

I don't think I could condense all that information into one or two paragraphs.

Try reading a good book.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
Nigeria - Member -  Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #1

11/19/2008 4:48 PM

I agree with you and add that RossMcDonald may start from here http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/209

Cheers,

ethobil

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

12/05/2008 8:15 AM

In a nut shell, they are very fast dedicated logic gates which perform basic functions such a adding, subtracting (by inverting and adding 1 - in binary), and bit shifting or comparing as directed by a set of instructions commonly referred to as machine language or assembler code.

The architecture if those kinds of basic logic structures defines what the CPU can do and how fast they can perform the instructions. Many CPU's also have timers and counters and other types of ports for specific data manipulation. They all have some sort of permanent or semi-permanate memory set aside for storing programmed instructions. They also have RAM memory for Data. They typically have both a data bus (the highway on which data is passed around from device to device) and an address bus which selects which memory cells are to be activated for accessing data.

Adding devices and software makes the system unique. Obviously, there are endless combinations of both which make up a larger device that we think of as a computer.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ethobil (1); Frank787 (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1)

Previous in Forum: Portable Dual Headphone Dist. Amp   Next in Forum: PCU for SCADA communication
You might be interested in: Materials Processing Services, Processing Services

Advertisement