Previous in Forum: where is the Log out tab???   Next in Forum: Bad condition of CR4 server
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

Blog Software

11/19/2008 11:50 AM

I am considering starting a blog on my website for topics where I have some expertise. I have been on a number of different blogs and like the functionality of this one [Specifically: 1) both Guest and Member log in; 2) notification to my email account of new postings on issues of interest to me; and 3) multiple forum choices].

Did you create your own software to run this or did you use a third party software supplier? Could you get me a reference? Any competitors wishing to respond would be okay with me as well since I would like to be able to choose.

Thanks, Dick Hourigan
Visit
www.RichardHouriganInc.com

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Re: Blog Software

11/19/2008 12:36 PM

Hi Dick,

We developed the CR4 software in-house. The original site used Slash (an early version of the Slashdot software). Unfortunately, it didn't play well with our other systems and, since it was built on a number of code bases, took hours to make even the simplest alteration. So we built our own. At this time, we are not making CR4 available to the general public. I can't say what the future holds, but its not in our short-term or even long term plans.

If you want something that offers some of the same functionalities, you may want to check out Pluck or WordPress.

- Chris

In reply to #1

11/19/2008 8:47 PM

Thanks for getting back to me, Chris. My webmaster had mentioned WordPress to me but had not mentioned Pluck.

I don't recall why, just now, but I discarded WordPress because one of the three features that I wanted was not there.

Dick Hourigan

Brazil - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - Hey there... interested in exchanging information about car performance? Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil 30deg01'39.73"S 51deg13'43.45"W
Good Answers: 28

11/19/2008 2:29 PM

Hey, It may not be on my count, but I think that you can use any free model available in the internet to build your blog. I could use one I downloaded do not remember where, but it was really like 1-2-3: install web server, php server and database server, edit the pages to the layout and functionality I wanted, and run it. It's really simple to be done, can take some time to make things working, but it's simple. Google for "blog code php" or something like this. Lots of material for free.

In reply to #2

11/19/2008 8:54 PM

Thanks. I am smart on other things (aren't we all). For this sort of thing, I pay someone to do it faster and better than I could. I have had some suggestions of software running from free all the way up to $240.00.

"Free" did not have what I wanted. I can ont recall if "$240.00" was what I wanted either.

So I started to look at Blogs that I like for examples. This one is the best for what I want to do. Unfortunately it is not available. I guess they could not find some one to do it either. Writing my own will likely exceed my budget since, once again I will have to pay some one.

The choices are: Keep looking or settle for less.

Thanks,

Dick Hourigan

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bhrescobar (1); Chris Leonard (1); EnduroSolv (2)

Previous in Forum: where is the Log out tab???   Next in Forum: Bad condition of CR4 server

Advertisement