Previous in Forum: schematic for dvmia-100-k-r-s1 hydraulic motor   Next in Forum: Aero drag on cylinder shape
Close
Close
Close
29 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20

Help with My Homework (Just Kidding)

01/15/2009 1:59 PM

Just kidding. Those kind of questions bug me too.

Seriously though, everyone I talk to had a variation of this question in school:

"A hunter aims his gun at a monkey in a tree, as he pulls the trigger the monkey falls. . ."

I was talking to a co-worker about the intentionally humorous aspect of many physics questions and brought this one up as an example. His response was, "It depends. What is the drag coefficient of the monkey."

(I KNOW the question ignores air resistance.)

Anyway, after I stopped laughing, I decided to look it up. Did you know, that in all of the world wide web, I was unable to find the drag coefficient of a monkey?

What's up with that? As an engineer, I am supposed to be able to find information that others can't. So now I turn to y'all. Surely the geniuses at CR4 can answer a simple question like this.

Thanks,

-A-

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: Help with my homework.

01/15/2009 2:04 PM

African or European?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 10

Re: Help with my homework.

01/15/2009 2:15 PM

Is he falling headfirst? Spinning? Is he/she "pancaking". How big of a monkey (area)?

Let mw know all thows things and I am certain someone else can do the math .

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: Help with My Homework (Just Kidding)

01/15/2009 4:24 PM

Species?

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

01/15/2009 5:45 PM

Drag coefficient of a monkey... <flump...thud...rolls around>
That's gotta be up there with the best of 'em.
Kudos on the insanity dude.

Del
BTW Kris should be able to give you the aerodynamic low down on a flying squirrel.

Good Answers: 103

01/15/2009 10:17 PM

Age? (might have lost hairs like us you know) do they ? Where was he hit, how much time (in second) after the hit he fell down, how much blood soaked his furs (they will reduce the drag- what was the weather like - RH, temperature, pressure, air density ? any sort of air draft ? Any body testing the antigravity generator nearby ?

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 243

01/15/2009 10:43 PM

If monkey= primate and human = primate, then Cd~= 1 for the primate being shot by hunter.

Some would object to characterization, Some would not. Interestingly the 0.12M^2 area allows me to ask, how large a monkey?

See link below:

http://tinyurl.com/8dr7rm

milo Never giveup- just alter the givens and assumptions until you can succeed!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 38

01/15/2009 10:51 PM

You could ask the animal channel.

what is the mass of the monkey, what is the wind strenghth (if there is wind) is it raining? the drag factor changes when the hair is wet. where is the monkey? on the equator? to much unknowns

Good Answers: 8

01/16/2009 2:14 AM

Actually, air resistance is irrelevant as the monkey will be hit by the bullet before it reaches a speed where air resistance can have an influence on its falling speed. Unless you have a tree of more than three stories high or a very small and lightweight monkey.

01/16/2009 2:19 AM

did the bullet pass thru or it remained embedded in the body. Was it fired thru by a shot gun ?

Did it take out/ distort the shape of fallling mass on impact ?

Were there any animal activists (Peta or others around) - by seeing them the hunter and the monkey might have been distracted and the monkey might have jumped to ground (now the drag - or attraction- coefficient) might be different -

The equations is , you know

Monkey = primate , Hunter = primate , Peta = primate

All same genus ? (i think so never studied biology)

Hunter and Peta - commmon factor - both homo sapiens

Monkey - Peta - common factor : both in buff

Monkey, Hunter - common factor (assumption) - both male otherwise why the hunter shot the monkey ?

We have to calculate too many attractions and repulsions to take care of and these are much more than the Gravity of the situation ( an animal getting shot) or Gravity of Newton (see: apple - also see: apple as related to adam and eve)

We have to find whether there were and snakes around.

Too complicated - I still recommend the antigravity thread to look into this aspect to make the antigravity machine

I don't remember, but i feel gravity is a weak force isn't it in the theoritical physics ? even it is strong it will not be as strong as the other three interaction forces mentioned above.

Head splitting can not think- have to see and measure - get me the monkey, gun and peta in reverse order.

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

In reply to #9

01/16/2009 2:47 AM

Only if those Peta activist were of the genus female "i rather go nude then wear fur" type would i be distracted

In reply to #10

01/16/2009 2:55 AM

peta activists are always that (at least when they are there) refer any of the peta advertisements 9 they are always female and single (no males around- atleast in photographs) and extremely distractable - both for hunter and monkey.

By the way a new post has come on same topic: air drag on cylinder shape

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

01/16/2009 5:35 AM

Lubricated?, or dry?

In reply to #12

01/16/2009 8:50 AM

should ask in that forum (this will be OF - off forum here)

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

01/16/2009 6:56 AM

"A hunter aims his gun at a monkey in a tree, as he pulls the trigger the monkey falls. . ."

It's never stated that the Monkey is actually shot or that the gun in fact goes off. Assuming that it did there would be some sort of pressure wave ahead of the bullet that would have an affect which of course would be dependant upon the phase of the moon and gravitational effect which in turn is affected by location. Anyways, I'm sure there's a simple solution to this at the local Starbucks..........

Good Answers: 2

01/16/2009 8:16 AM

5 the answer is always 5.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

01/16/2009 8:48 AM

I add 1 to your 5 see my mail (and add a GA to it) or an off topic, both way OK. I dont like all these mongrels (half pointer and half dis-appointer)

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #14

01/18/2009 11:18 AM

No, the answer is always 42. It is the question what we have been searching the galaxies for .

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Popular Science - Weaponology - Cardio-7

Good Answers: 10

01/16/2009 8:35 AM

Re "A hunter aims...". The one question that no one has asked as yet: What was the caliber of the bullet that hit the monkey? This could have serious consequences re "falling:, whether the monkey was in one piece, did the kinetic energy toss the monkey 20 feet higher before it fell? And so on. Did the shot hit bone? Velocity and kinetic energy of the round at the time of impact?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

01/18/2009 9:40 PM

I would go for the most right one but maybe not much monkey left after that hits.

01/16/2009 8:37 AM

I doubt very seriously that Drag coefficients of monkeys is a problem that comes up frequently and there for researched.

You may want to look at the packaging industries for items that may be the same mass as your monkey in question and extrapolate information from here.

Maybe he meat packing industry or toy monkeys?

Just a thought.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - pipewelder

Good Answers: 33

01/16/2009 9:31 AM

I would think it would be very important to know what type of tree and how many limbs that monkey hit on the way down. Was he a bouncer, limb grabber or a free falling monkey?

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

01/16/2009 11:05 AM

One must do an experiment. Years ago, when I worked for an unnamed research institution in San Antonio, Texas, we had an air-powered "Chicken Gun"- used to propell objects at mockups of aircraft parts (think "bird strikes" like what downed the Airbus 320 in the Hudson River). Originally, they had to use live chickens, to callibrate the equipment. Then they found that thawed dead chickens did not give the same flight and impact results as live chickens, so a great deal of money was spent developing a synthetic chicken that more closely matched the results obtained with live chickens.

I did not make this up. The air cannon used in this program sat under my second floor office, and there was never any doubt when testing was in progress.

Anyway, I see the potential for a multi-million dollar research project. Where should I send the proposal?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 290
In reply to #20

01/16/2009 1:05 PM

This is unfortunately a de-bunking of a great urban legend about the rooster booster.

http://www.snopes.com/science/cannon.asp

But, it's still quite funny and contains a cautionary tail for Del.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662
In reply to #22

01/16/2009 2:17 PM

Heck...but what a way to go!

Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20

01/16/2009 11:19 AM

"...the drag coefficient of a monkey..."

Dunno how efficient it is, but...

Good Answers: 25

01/16/2009 4:35 PM

Normally I stay out of trees, but that hurt like hell and I felt no drag whatsoever.

01/17/2009 7:01 AM

Got a few more today of the home works

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/32022/Ohm-s-law

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/32004/Relevance-Of-Ohms-Law

and another one (very cryptic) - solar power Vs Wind power

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 32

01/18/2009 11:24 AM

There have been a lot of great questions posed for this as far as size and type of monkey but who has spoken for the tree? How tall was the tree and how far was the drop? Was the tree damaged by the bullet or the monkey bouncing off of it? What type of tree was it? Male or female? (How would you know?)

There are far too many parts of the equation left out to find a true and acceptable answer.

01/12/2010 8:30 PM

You know what, here is something that can help you: I just found answers to my homework questions on TutorAnswer.com!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 29 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

2buyitnow (1); Anonymous Poster (2); bbei (1); beriberi (1); Cardio07 (1); cwarner7_11 (1); D-Tech (1); Del the cat (2); EnviroMan (1); Epke (3); Milo (1); not so smart (2); ozzb (1); Paul B (1); pipewelder (1); Randall (1); sb (6); sidevalveguru (1); TexasCharley (1)

Previous in Forum: schematic for dvmia-100-k-r-s1 hydraulic motor   Next in Forum: Aero drag on cylinder shape

Advertisement