Previous in Forum: artificial right leg or bionic leg required   Next in Forum: pity the driving instructor
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

How to Choose Cut-off Frequency

01/19/2009 11:42 AM

In biomechnaics, we usually have to filter our raw dada from human movement etc..

Are there any theoretical background or method how we choose filtering parameter, especially cut-off frequency ?

Advice or comment, pls..

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 663

Re: How to Choose Cut-off Frequency

01/19/2009 1:38 PM

I'd have thought you could base cut off frequency on the response time of the system? Say 10 times the max frequency the system can respond at.

Pure cat gut feeling

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member China - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 14

01/19/2009 9:01 PM

I always cannt help to smile when see this avatar. I was impressed by it. I guess you are a student studying in some university, but graduate soon.

It seems always only me answer your question I wonder why no others interest in and give you a hand?

now back to the topic.

I wish you put out more condition in order that to answer.

it might be simple, but on other side, its complex.

it depends on the system you dealt with.

if you would use digitalize data, the cutoff fq should be double higher than your simple frq. this is famous Nequist law. usually we use 3-5 times higher cut off frq.

if you wish system is stable, the feedback frq of cuff shoiuld be seelct at that of which amplitude across zero less than 1800

if you have goal bandwide, the cut off will be end at that wide. and what data are you dealing with?

if take account of human movement by shot move pictures, the seep can be up to 500 - 1000 frames per second to see clear the details of movement.

if you deal with data analysis, there are many kindsof filter parameter for you to choise, except cutoff frq. for example, rectangualr coeffcience, roll off speed, leakage amount, or even window function etc.

Wish others can offer more details.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 182

01/20/2009 1:15 PM

I would not go as far as CNPOWER since the basic frequency of human movements is in the range of Hz in unloaded conditions. The fastest movement is the forearm movement.

His comment is correct the Nyquist value is good but it is better to have at least 10 points for the maximal possible frequency which could occur. If we consider it to be 2...3 Hz your cut off should be at least > 3Hz and your sampling frequency > 30 Hz.

The 2 have not to be mixed. 500 to 1000 frames/s is too much, you should count of about 50 to 100.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145

01/20/2009 7:36 PM

For the upper limit of neural signal spikes I see a figure of 8 khz, in the poster "VLSI for Multimodal Neuromonitoring" Murari et al, that's somewhere in the 2006 niw workshops report here

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/research/npp/ws/agenda_index.htm

Good Answers: 24

02/05/2009 10:08 PM

Case to consider, a method employed in audio editing software called "De-noising":

A sample on the unwanted noise is taken, and subtracted from the overall signal, to produce the desired result with "cut-off curve" removed, instead of a "cut-off frequency" curve roll-off, as usually done with an equaliser:

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

artsmith (1); cnpower (1); Del the cat (1); nick name (1); Yuval (1)

Previous in Forum: artificial right leg or bionic leg required   Next in Forum: pity the driving instructor

Advertisement