Previous in Forum: Loop Resistance Questions   Next in Forum: Assigning I/O Types to Instruments
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Wanted: Dual 110-VAC Switch

02/17/2009 6:52 AM

I need a dual 110VAC switch with switching time less then 6ms. A relay would be derived from this switch. Any model any vendor?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: Wanted: Dual 110-VAC Switch

02/17/2009 1:07 PM

Try a google search for "solid state relay" (an electronic relay that uses Triacs). These have a much faster operation than standard relays (but are more expensive).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_relay

Available from standard electronic component stores that also stock relays such as RS (radio spares), Digikey, Farnell, etc.

Good Answers: 88

02/17/2009 5:51 PM

You might also wish to switch the AC using triacs or IGBTs directly. I'd recommend a solid-state relay except that a number of them wait until the next voltage (or current) crossover to switch. This delay (at 60 Hz mains frequency, worse at 50 Hz) could be as large as 8.3 ms -- the duration of one half-cycle @ 60 Hz -- should you attempt to switch immediately after the last crossover. At 50 Hz mains frequency this delay could stretch to 10 ms.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 18

02/18/2009 7:52 AM

I think I am on the same track as EUROPIUM. You might try to looking for a Static Switch. Most Manufacturers of electrical or electronic equipment will make them depending on the size you need. I hope you have the budget to by one, because they're not cheap.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 11

02/18/2009 7:58 AM

europium is right, most SSRs for power applications will switch at a zero crossing to try to avoid noise generation and current spikes. But the current you are trying to switch is another issue that needs to be answered. Here is a part listed on the Allied Electronics website that will switch quickly enough. It's rated for about 500mA max though. Is that enough?

http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/BM/AROMAT/788-1252.PDF

Good Answers: 88

02/18/2009 9:33 AM

Why 6 milliseconds? At 60 Hz a half-cycle is 8.3 ms. You need to switch in less time than a single AC half-cycle?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ca1ic0cat (1); GRAY HAIRED OLD GOAT (1); jack of all trades (1); user-deleted-13 (2)

Previous in Forum: Loop Resistance Questions   Next in Forum: Assigning I/O Types to Instruments

Advertisement