Previous in Forum: More Trouble at Boeing   Next in Forum: They can collect it, but they can't protect it.
Close
Close
Close
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

An Explanation of Green's Function

03/07/2005 9:12 AM

I'm taking an Electrodynamics course right now and we're using Green's Functions to describe different charge systems. I can do the math, or at least copy the math my professor did in class, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out why Green's Functions are useful. If anyone out there is familair with this subject, I'd appreciate your interpretation. I just would like to have a more intuitive feel for this. Why do we use it? What does it do for us? Please help if you can.

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 8

Green's functions

03/10/2005 12:52 PM

Wikipedia has a nice, succinct explanation of Green's function as the solution to inhomogeneous partial differential equations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green's_function.

FYI - There's also a thumbnail overview of quantum electrodynamics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_electrodynami cs

Now I remember how much all this stuff made my brain hurt ! :-(

Login to Reply
Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Previous in Forum: More Trouble at Boeing   Next in Forum: They can collect it, but they can't protect it.

Advertisement