Previous in Forum: material behavior   Next in Forum: Free Chlorine Using FAS-DPD Test Method
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Participant

Disinfection Using Chlorine

05/31/2009 5:07 PM

What is the standard procedure in disinfection of water using chlorine solution? How do you determine the quantity of active chlorine in disinfection of water?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Chlorine disinfection
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1682

Re: Disinfection using chlorine

05/31/2009 5:33 PM

Are you starting your own business?

Where are you?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

06/01/2009 4:20 PM

No, our company is in the water treatment business of which disinfection is to be applied in deep well and storage water tank. For instance if 10 ppm of chlorine is required inorder to have an acceptable residual. Assume the dept of the well is 300 feet and the storage capacity is 10,000 gallons, what will be the quantity of chlorine powder needed to have a residual of 0.5ppm.

We are based in Manila Philippines.

Eduardo

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

06/01/2009 7:45 PM

"disinfection of water using chlorine solution"

"what will be the quantity of chlorine powder needed"

Make up your mind.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101
In reply to #5

06/02/2009 2:09 AM

You guys need an experienced water engineer? Make me an offer.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

05/31/2009 9:50 PM

Generally speaking, you dose in chlorine solution until you get a stable free chlorine content of 0.5 - 1ppm . Exactly how much to dose in will depend upon several factors, including organics content of the water, turbidity, and of course the required application and free chlorine content . You can determine the chlorine content by the use of test strips or kits .

In reply to #2

06/01/2009 2:12 AM

They have pools where you are?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

06/01/2009 3:19 AM

Padme's parents have a swimming pool . Unfortunately for me though, the last time I went swimming in it, my f***ing armored suit shorted out, causing me to sink to the bottom of the pool !!!! My parents-in-law have since banned me from using their pool after that incident .

In reply to #4

06/01/2009 7:13 PM

Vader,

Rotten luck with the suit. Sorry to hear. Must've been a shock for you, too!

Lyn

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #6

06/02/2009 2:07 AM

It was !!!! I couldn't sit down for 2 weeks as a result of all the burns !!!!

Re: Disinfection Using Chlorine

06/02/2009 9:38 AM

The right amount of chlorine in water is when everything in the water is dead and it stays dead. Buy a microscope and some slides.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 40

06/02/2009 9:39 AM

Further to DV's post(2), there are numerous ways to achieve the free chlorine level needed for sanitization of your water, depending on availability (to you).

Though dangerous to use, bottled chlorine gas can be injected, without adding any "binder materials" into your water. Otherwise, liquid or solid (tablets, powders) are available. As noted, the amount to add depends on many different factors. Thus, incremental dosages should be applied carefully (providing sufficient time intervals for proper dispersion and re-testing), until the desired level is met. Once met, the trick to be mastered is maintenance of the proper level.

Try googling your need in various combinations; you'll find stuff such as:

"ONE OF MAJOR USES OF CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE IS SOURCE OF CHLORINE FOR WATER SANITIZATION IN DRINKING & RECREATIONAL WATER..." at this page.

Wishing you well ~

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #11

06/02/2009 6:16 PM

Thanks for the response to my questions.

Ed de Guzman.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18

06/02/2009 3:57 PM

First of all, I would suggest getting a good idea of the volume of water in the well, which would involve knowing the actual depth of the well, the depth of water in the well and the diameter of the borehole. Simple calculation defines the water volume.

If the well is shallow and/or has no impermeable barrier (such as a thick layer of clay above the well screen to prevent infiltration of contaminants) thus resulting in contaminants from the surface water getting into the aquifer, then adding chlorine to the well may be a futile action. In that case, I would recommend filtering/processing the water with activated carbon filters and/or UV light once it is removed from the ground. If it is from a deep well which is adequately sealed with such a clay layer from contaminants, then you can either use Sodium hypochlorite (bleach solution available from local stores) or calcium hypochlorite powder or tablets available from a pool supply store) to treat the well. Typically, this action only eliminates the pathogens introduced into the well during working on or (re)developing the well.

As to the amount of chlorination required, from the volume of water in the well calculate the needed chlorine solution/powder necessary to achieve a minimum of 250 ppm Cl in the water. Drop that amount of chlorine down into the well and allow 24 hrs for disinfection. (Of course, you can go to 1000 ppm Cl and for a lesser holding time). After that, pump the well until no smell or indication of chlorine remains (or using the free chlorine strips mentioned by Vader pump until you get to 0.5-1.0 ppm).

If there is contamination continuously entering the well from the aquifer, you will need to run the pump system and add chlorine solution continuously into the water (or into tank batches of water) determining by trial and error the amount necessary to maintain 0.5-1 ppm.

In reply to #12

06/02/2009 6:19 PM

Thank you for your kind technical response.

Eduardo

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/03/2009 12:16 AM

is it for drinking water first off. if it is then there are chlorination guide lines set by the state, province, depending if you are in Canada or the USA. in Canada the guide lines are you must maintain a free chlorine residual. this is left over chlorine after total disinfection. in Canada that residual is 0.10 mg/L or 0.10 ppm of free chlorine, at the farthest point in the distribution system. easy said. if the water you are treating with chlorine is high in organics like a surface water, then the addition of chlorine causes the production of THM's or trihalomethans. these are a carcinogen in levels above 0.01mg/L or 0.01ppm. all that said contact the state department dealing with water, or the provincial office which ever and ask them what will have to be done. once you start treating water it becomes regulated. usually the total chlorine you will have to add all depends on the flow rate or amaont of water. eg. I treat 200 000 gals of water per day. i use between 8 to 12 pounds of chlorine gas per day. the formulas for chlorine dosage can be found at state.tn.us/enviroment/ea/pdf/fleming_wt_formula_5th_edition.pdf I hope this helps you out. the testing procedures are similiar to those that a test kit for chlorinated pools. usually fine graduations though. well hope thus helps you out a little

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Register to Reply 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (2); DVader1000 (4); lyn (4); ndt-tom (1); watertech_solutions (3)

Previous in Forum: material behavior   Next in Forum: Free Chlorine Using FAS-DPD Test Method

Advertisement