Previous in Forum: Do you know InteGNPS?   Next in Forum: New Methods for Manhole and Sewer Inspections
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Power-User

The New Energy Source vs. Venture Capital

07/27/2009 7:04 PM

I have patented the first system that allows the use of deep-ocean hydrothermal vents for commercial energy production, vents that are nature's closest approximation to nuclear power. The energy they contain is constantly flowing, which sets it apart from all other renewable sources, and the density of that power is nothing short of astonishing. Plants capable of generating ten gigawatts or more are completely feasible, with no pollution and no nuclear waste issues.

Computer modeling was done on the system, and a 31 cm diameter pipe was expected to produce, after generator losses have been taken into account, 83 MW. Dividing the energy output by the area of the pipe shows an energy density of an astounding 1 MW of producible power per 10 square centimeters! When you use that formula on the area of a 1, 2, or 3 meter pipe, you will see that nothing else in the natural world can ever approach this immense power. And every bit of it is green, and constantly operating 24/7/365, unlike the wind or sun.

Please see my website at www.marshallsystem.com for an animation and general description.

Mankind has always used the same sources of energy. Beyond animals, there were solar, wind, water, geothermal where available, and of course, burning things. Nuclear energy was the first totally new source of power to become available, and hydrothermal energy is the second. It has never before been harnessed by anyone, and it is truly the only way that millions of people can get clean, abundant, and relable electricity at reasonable rates.

I've had my system fully evaluated by one of the largest oil companies in the world, to the point of computer modeling, which required at least a $25,000 earnest-money investment on their part. The energy numbers I provided in the introduction came from that modeling.

It was astonishing that even after they determined it worked, and that it worked incredibly well, they completely "lost interest". I can only assume that they make more money from oil, but I don't know that to be true.

I am also on the same track with a different oil company, and they are perhaps even more fully investigating it. Results and their level of interest are forthcoming.

In the meantime, I'm not going to sit and wait, having been down this road before. There could be two, three, or more months ahead before they arrive at a decision, and even when they find it works it doesn't mean they'll pursue it. My attitude is that the idea speaks for itself. They know it exists, and they know where to find me, but I want to actively pursue as many avenues as I can.

My enthusiasm for the system is tempered by a lack of funding, and that's why I'm here. I know there are some very smart people out there who have had many and varied experiences that might somehow help me.

I'm starting this thread as a brain-pickin' fest, hoping someone can offer me the benefit of their experience. That could range from thoughtful advice to suggesting an interested investor, or anything in between.

This is a very big deal, but I need serious money to move it forward. Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bruce Marshall

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58

Re: The New Energy Source vs. Venture Capital

07/30/2009 4:49 AM

be wary about taking your non-hydrocarbon-consuming idea to oil companies. they might buy all rights to it, and then KILL it.

IMO, it is best to take it to proponents of alternative energy.

BTW, have you heard about this?

In reply to #1

07/30/2009 9:36 PM

I think you're right. The oil companies don't like the competition.

Regarding the link, I have been fascinated with Fleishmann and Pons' work since it was announced, and I've always believed that it was real. It will be proven and harnessed someday. There is undoubtedly an intermittent reaction in which energy is produced. No one has yet figured out what turns it on, but someday they will.

If that's the case then everything becomes obsolete. All of our existing energy infrastructure will die because people will be independently self-sufficient. Those fusion reactors will be in homes and cars and we'll all provide for ourselves instead of relying on a centralized system to provide it to us.

I am working with a large alternate energy proponent now, and I'm hopeful that talks will prove fruitful, but I agree with you. It's bound to be the best bet.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Next to the Prime Merridian (51°29'34.50"N 0°13'32.85"W)
Good Answers: 1
In reply to #2

07/31/2009 11:42 AM

When you read this you can see just how vulnerable things can be and, as far as I can see, as long as there's oil to be extracted from the ground anywhere in the world the oil companies are laughing (ok, smiling).

The vast oil reserves in Russia are yet to be explored for example and is many other parts of the world. These giants know they'll be called upon in due time to help those hopeless countries to explore their natural treasures.

Meanwhile, nobody wants to take the initiatives about something good yet ambitious, like your idea.

I am not suggesting to give up - merely remind ourselves how politics is still ignorant about global warming and its fallouts.

In reply to #3

07/31/2009 10:56 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words. I have no intention of giving up!

These businesses do not want the change that is needed because it is not in their best interest. They do not want to talk about real solutions, but rather how they can create the appearance of real solutions while maintaining the status quo.

You're right...it's sad, but true. Politics controls far, far too much, and the people far, far too little.

Good Answers: 12

07/31/2009 10:26 PM

Without having read any other comments...

Your real problem is how to get all that power from there to here.

What depth, how many atmospheres?

j.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #4

08/01/2009 1:12 AM

Thanks for the technical question.

It's a ton of power, and the average depth is 2.3-2.5 km (250 atm), a mile and a half or more. No such undersea cable exists, as the current depth limit is about 1.6 km, but if there is an application for it, it will be built. I have no doubt about that.

I found out that it isn't the depth that's the problem for the undersea cable but its tensile strength. It has to carry the weight of all that cable below it as it is being laid, and if not properly designed it will tear itself in half. That does not diminish my confidence that the application will create the product, however.

I actually hold a second patent on a system that uses a hollow pipe as the conductor, and which carries photons instead of electrons as the power carrying medium. I anticipated just that problem, but since it sounds very futuristic I don't talk about it much. I want people focusing on concepts they understand, e.g. undersea cable, but there is an alternative just over the horizon, and I will use part of any money I receive to develop the light pipe fully. I just don't want to add confusion until the hydrothermal system is fully funded.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bcmarshall (3); Isti80 (1); Jack Jersawitz (1); langyaw (1)

Previous in Forum: Do you know InteGNPS?   Next in Forum: New Methods for Manhole and Sewer Inspections

Advertisement