Previous in Forum: 250cc Motorcycles   Next in Forum: Automotive Air Conditioning Systems
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Associate

E15 Engine

08/10/2009 8:38 PM

hey ive got a stock E15 engine caburated in a nissan sentra can i just install the E15 engine turbo to it without doing any forms of modifications like changeing pistons etc or will i have to do modifications if i do what will the modifications be?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: E15 engine

08/11/2009 4:55 AM

Pistons, at least. Look at a "hot rodding a nissan e15 site or two.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: E15 Engine

08/11/2009 6:36 PM

There's a trade off that you have to consider. It invovles engine compression and how it affects turbo lag (time it takes the turbo to spool up) and turbo efficiency.

A lower the compression ratio will cause a longer the turbo lag and higher turbo efficiency. Your car will take longer to get to full power but will be able to put out more power.

A higher the compression ratio will reduce turbo lag but decrease turbo efficiency. Your car will get to full power but will not be able to put out as much power as a lower compression engine.

Normally a compression ratio of 6.5:1 to 8:1 is ideal for a turbo engine. I beleive the compression ratio for a stock normally aspirated E15 is 8.5:1. Hope this helps.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster

08/11/2009 7:56 PM

Where to start? First the compression ratio must be lowered either by changing pistons or changing cylinder head to one with a larger combustion chamber. Second the cam needs to be one with a bit less overlap so that you don't just blow through the chamber while the valves are open. Then you need to modify the carb because the jets, power valve and even the chokes will be all wrong for a turbo. Now comes the oiling system as the turbo will add tons of heat to the lubricant. Cooling system and transmission along with the rear end will all have to be beefed up if you want your car to hold together. I am a 35 year heavy line tech with tons of formula racing experience if you would like to chat here is my Email: johnd7618@cox.net

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

Good Answers: 4

08/12/2009 9:15 AM

Typically when adding a turbo to a naturally aspirated Diesel engine, the designers beefed up the oiling and cooling systems at least. This often included "pee pipes" to spray oil on the underside of the pistons to give them added cooling which is needed due to the extra heat input. If this selfsame engine came in both naturally aspirated (NA) and turbo'ed versions, I'd check to see if there were any differences in the basic engine between the NA and turbo versions, i.e., improvements in oiling which would include greater sump capacity, oil pump flow rate, maybe an oil pressure increase, increased filter capacity and improvements that may also extend to the basic engine block, including pee pipes. If you just slap a turbo on willy-nilly, you run the risk of an engine meltdown due to excess heat input. A lot of farm tractor pullers did that, but sometimes the engine didnt hold up.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); JDknut (1); lyn (1)

Previous in Forum: 250cc Motorcycles   Next in Forum: Automotive Air Conditioning Systems

Advertisement