Previous in Forum: 99 Windstar has no forward gears   Next in Forum: Seat Belt Regulations
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Associate
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - seek knowledge

1990 Volkswagen Golf 2 - Fuel Tank

10/14/2009 4:21 AM

I would want to know the quantity of the reserve in the fuel tank of a golf 2 1990 model?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Anonymous Poster

Re: 1990 Volkswagen Golf 2 - Fuel Tank

10/14/2009 11:09 AM

The manual should tell you the size of the fuel tank. Or is your question "how much gas is really left when the fill-tank light" comes on?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

10/15/2009 3:49 AM

yes how much gas is left when the fuel indicator is at reserve? and also the total fuel capacity at full tank?

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96

10/15/2009 12:56 AM

About two gallons

Commentator

Good Answers: 7

10/15/2009 10:47 AM

Optimistically you should have two gallons (8 to 10 litres) left when the light comes on. Problem is, that varries since the light is triggered by the tank sensor dropping below a certain point in the tank. Sometimes, that level is a bit lower and you may have as little as gallon left when the light comes on.

The best way to find out, without walking, is to fill the tank and drive until the light comes on and refill. Then look at how big the manufacturer says the tank is, find the difference and that is how much fuel you should have "in reserve". As a just in case, I would take a small can of fuel with me, because there may be an issue such as a deformed tank that reduces its standard volume.

In many ways how much is in reserve doens't mean much. You need to know how well your car does on fuel consumption, your speed etc before the information becomes useful. Knowing that you can travel 800 miles on a tank of fuel at a certain speed is only important if the stations are 790 miles apart.

My dad used to tell me that a car traveled much better on the top half of the tank than the bottom. In those days, stations were often miles away from the farm in our part of the rural Canada and what he meant was that he felt better knowing he always had enough fuel to reach the next station regardless of what happened.

I had one car that had a reserve light and no matter how long I went without filling the light never came on. The day I found out that the sensor in the tank was faulty was the day I walked a couple of kilometers to the gas station. The level indicator worked fine, just the low fuel light would never come on. I now follow my father's sage bit of wisdom faithfully.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Anonymous Poster

10/24/2009 8:08 PM

Just enough to get you too far from the gas station to walk back for more...

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); bwire (1); writer (1)

Previous in Forum: 99 Windstar has no forward gears   Next in Forum: Seat Belt Regulations
You might be interested in: Fuel Cells, Fuel Testers, Fuel Dispensing Equipment

Advertisement