Previous in Forum: Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics   Next in Forum: Time Travel Paradox Solved?
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
The Feature Creep

Abandoned

06/20/2005 12:15 PM

A Russian photographer has taken it upon himself to photograph abandoned sections of Russian infrastructure: cement plants, office complexes and other aging, metal giants of a troubled country. Most of these places were abandoned after the economic changeover to capitalism.

It's touching, but surreal.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Organizer Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32

The Mirror Effect

06/20/2005 1:37 PM

If you live in the aging, industrial portions of the United States, this is a bit like looking in a funhouse mirror.

Register to Reply
The Feature Creep

In reply to #1

Re:The Mirror Effect

06/20/2005 3:38 PM

I grew up in an agricultural center, now all you can see are the abandoned barns (my families included) by the side of the road. It's all very "Now let ups praise famous men." by James Agee.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #2

06/21/2005 9:35 AM

Why should UPS praise famous men?

Register to Reply
The Feature Creep

In reply to #3

06/21/2005 9:42 AM

Doh!!!!! "Now let us praise famous men."
Surprised the spellchecker didn't catch that one.

In reply to #4

06/21/2005 1:54 PM

BRodda, Did you notice the he put up a William Gibson story: Burning Chrome.... I thought that was kinda cool since you have the WG quote on your sig.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #2

07/12/2005 11:46 AM

Ha Ha!! Give it 10 years and all those abandoned barns will have been converted to executive houses and be worth nigh on $1M each...if you don't believe come see the English (and Welsh and Scottish) countryside...full of townies in 4WD and green wellies who don't like getting dirty, don't like the smells, the noise, the customs....[ER wanders off muttering darkly into her warm flat beer]

In reply to #7

07/12/2005 11:58 AM

Not to sure how many people want to live in scenic Siberia. I do know that the property that the old barns around my parent house are now being turned into timeshares, I grew up in the Berkshires USA. When I was in England and Scotland the countryside still seemed fairly clear, wait until you get the slapped together "McMansion" housing developments that the prices start at 1/2 a million and go up from their, but aren't built to last more than a few decades.

Good Answers: 35

Very cool and eerie

06/21/2005 3:10 PM

Especially the draglines outside of Moscow. They are referred to as "sleeping giants", but that would seem to be misnomer. They are dead, they're rusting and rotten, and will never be used again.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); BRodda (3); Chris Leonard (1); English Rose (1); Paddy O'Flanigan (1); Steve Melito (1)

Previous in Forum: Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics   Next in Forum: Time Travel Paradox Solved?

Advertisement