Previous in Forum: Pipe   Next in Forum: turbine thrust bearing temperature going high
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Associate

Centrifugal oil filter ideas

11/07/2009 7:52 AM

Application: Centrifugal oil filter.

Problem : RPM is dependent on oil pressure in rotor. as pressure falls RPM 's slow down.A certain Min-Max range of rotations needs to be maintained.

Current soln.: 1)Provide extra rotations using external motor which kicks in whenever RPM falls below a mark.Con: Design changes needed, extra shaft will have to pass through external shell(sealing problems), bunches of electronics(sensors,encoders etc.)

2)Route oil through a smaller compressor which is coupled with a governor so it kicks in when RPM falls below min range and provides extra pressure which in turn takes care of RPM deficit.

Please tell me am i even going in the right direction? I would never post a query without research but i honestly could not find any relevant info. Any help is appreciated.

(*Just to be clear the filter i work with has a rotor inside which is filled with fluid. It has two nozzles diametrically opposite each other. when the pressure reaches a certain mark oil flows in a jet from the nozzles and the rotor starts rotating.oil hits outer shell and leaves particulate matter behind.*)

On a separate note is this a question or a discussion? I do want answers but i also intend to share what info i find or have.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 182

Re: Centrifugal oil filter ideas

11/07/2009 8:19 AM

Where is used the filter and why oil flow does change over time?

Such filters are often used for big machines as pre-filter and run at constant speed.

It is better if you filter in a special circuit with a constant pump so that the flow is maintained same all time along.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

11/11/2009 11:35 PM

Filter for Large Engines but not all are able to maintain requisite pressure so in such cases an added mechanism to correct this is to be provided.

Good Answers: 1

11/15/2009 11:59 PM

Frankly, entire picture does not come into my brain as I read your question over and over.

My understanding is like these.

- Your centri oil filter is self rotating. It does not need any external driver.

- You want to maintain the centri oil filter as rotate, but when a certain case, oil pressure drops and consequently centri oil filter stops.

- Since centri oil filter stops, so you can not provide filtered oil to the system~! (--> and this is the case you want to avoid~!)

However, If your ultimate goal is to maintain the filtered oil provided stably, then your 2) could be better than 1).

Be careful of the followings even adapt 2)

1. Check the oil mass balance in the system, the more oil you suct into the centri oil filter by any mean will mean that the lesser oil remained in the sucted part. The sucted part could be the system. It may cause the bigger hell.

2. Remove the reason(s) that makes oil pressure fluctuating. If such fluctuating is quite natural and unavoidable, then add small oil makeup system when the oil pressure is down (instead of routing oil here and there)

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

nick name (1); shanky1367 (1); yeonhoyu (1)

Previous in Forum: Pipe   Next in Forum: turbine thrust bearing temperature going high

Advertisement