Previous in Forum: Detecting Fires in Airliner Cargo Compartments   Next in Forum: Japan's Plans for the Moon
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Mercury, Venus and Saturn are converging!

06/23/2005 9:40 AM

Here's one for all you astronomy buffs out there. Beginning June 25th, Mercury, Venus and Saturn will line up just to the west of the setting sun. This rare occurrence will be viewable in the Northern Hemisphere through Monday evening, June 27th.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
The Feature Creep

Conjunction

06/23/2005 11:18 AM

Glad to see there is none of the hysteria that accompanied the "Grand Conjunction" that happened a few years ago.

Good Answers: 2

Planet Alignment

06/23/2005 11:44 AM

I'm confused. Since the sun sets in the west, "Just to the west of the setting sun" means the planets will precede the sun over the horizon and we'll never see them...

Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #2

Re:Planet Alignment

06/23/2005 2:38 PM

The sun sets in the west is more of a general direction, since the earth tilts on its axis the general direction of the setting sun varies in a northerly and southerly direction depending on the time of year, a northerly direction in the summer and southerly in the winter. I guess this doesn't help with where to look for the alignment, and I can't help you there, but I will be looking in a generally westerly direction kind of beyond the setting sun.

Reply to Forum Thread 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BRodda (1); Paddy O'Flanigan (1); shooter (1)

Previous in Forum: Detecting Fires in Airliner Cargo Compartments   Next in Forum: Japan's Plans for the Moon
You might be interested in: Buffs, Bobs and Buffing Wheels, Rare-Earth Magnets

Advertisement