Previous in Forum: How Mars Could Be Terraformed   Next in Forum: What could cause Earth to be a periodic target?
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Associate

Spinning Objects

01/19/2007 9:13 AM

I am always puzzled by observing every planet or Meterioid in the universe spinning about some axis passing through its gravitational center. Is spinning motion essential for matter to exist?

Pathfinder Tags: Gravity spinning of planets
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - United Kingdom - Member - Get things done!

Good Answers: 3

Re: Spinning Objects

01/19/2007 9:36 AM

There is plenty of matter that doesn't spin. I think the Solar system could'nt exist as it is without it.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65

01/19/2007 10:44 AM

Spinning is not essential for matter to exist. It is, I believe, one effect of gravity contracting matter into galaxies, stars, planets, etc. Like water going down the drain.

Anonymous Poster

01/19/2007 11:10 PM

maybe it's the wrong question? Consider: is spinning necessary for gravitational centers to exist? And vice versa. Then from there...about matter..whatever that is.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - Scapolie, new member.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #3

01/20/2007 7:11 AM

Hi Guest. I too thought about that question when I was 15 years old, but nobody at the time could give me an answer, that was in 1960. So I constructed a large heavy sphere of wood with an Iron sphere in the centre. Outside diameter of sphere was 12ins and the iron sphere was 4ins. This to me was a replica of our planet as known then. I bored a hole through the whole thing and put in place an axle of 16ins in length. I placed this planetry object in a type of gymbals together with an electric motor geared to the planets axle with a drive belt; ratio 1:1. motor speed 1425rpm. This assembly was suspended from my ceiling at home, and I must say it acted like a gyroscope. I weight it, no different when standing still or spinning. I then placed objects on it's surface made of plastacine, they shot off like bullets. My conclusion was that spinning does not produce gravity. Next, I thought maybe in relation to earths size and spin my globe should be spinning at a faster speed. Big mistake! I geared it to 10:1 and spun it, everything went alright so I ran down the stairs to ask my father to come and watch my experiments. Suddenly there was an enormous bang and everything was shaking. The damn thing had exploded in my bedroom, showering walls, ceiling and floor in shrapnel, and the window was non existant Needless to say I was grounded for two months.

Guru

01/20/2007 8:04 AM

The moon is not much of a spinner. The same side faces the earth at all times due to one side having more mass than the other. It take about twenty-eight days for it to make a cycle around the earth so in relation to the sun it only has a spin that is twenty-eight days long!

I would be sure that there are other things in the cosmos (comets?) that don't have a real spin either.

Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

01/20/2007 10:17 PM

Yes

Good Answers: 2

01/21/2007 11:30 PM

Spinning is not essential but there are so many ways an object could spin so that not spinning is a chance in a million. Every object out in space is of course moving in some orbit and as they zip along are subjected to so many gravitational tugs that it would be very rare to run into a non-spinning object. However I have read somewhere that the mathematician Godel has proved that the Universe as a whole does not spin ! Mind blowing: how he could do that.

Power-User

Good Answers: 2

01/22/2007 12:23 PM

Spinning isn't required, but it's easier than NOT spinning! Consider: an object can spin vertically, horizontally, or at any other angle. It can spin in either direction. It can also spin at any speed (up to the point where it flies apart). So there are infinite ways to spin, and only ONE way to NOT spin! A non-spinning object in space will start to spin as soon as any force acts on it; a spinning object will change its spin with any force, but it will stop spinning only if it gets EXACTLY the right force. So it's a matter of probability, not a matter of necessity.

(Objects on Earth don't spin much because friction gets in the way.)

Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - United Kingdom - Member - Get things done!

In reply to #8

01/23/2007 2:37 AM

This explains my head in the morning.

In reply to #9

01/23/2007 6:57 AM

Hi PlbMak, My advice is, keep off the whisky! Don't you know that whisky excerts a gravitational pull which in turn makes ones head spin? Whisky like all other matter excerts this gravitational pull, the more the whisky the more the pull, and the more the pull the more ones head spins. I have seen peoples heads spin so fast that matter is thrown out of their heads via their mouths. I expect that one day all of this extruded matter will excert a gravitational pull on their heads, what then?

Associate

In reply to #11

01/23/2007 7:19 AM

Does Woman exert similar Force ?

Guru

In reply to #12

01/23/2007 8:14 AM

Hi nandan, The answer to that one is, YES! Haven't you noticed that woman or women either Explode or Implode? A woman has to be approached with caution, If man and woman come together as one, then you can guarantee that sooner or later there will be fireworks. This can manifest it's self in two ways, either the two bodies come to an agreement, thus producing many smaller satellites, or there could be rejection of the one body. In both cases it produces spinning. So whichever way you look at it, spinning keeps the universe alive and attacts other bodies.

Associate

In reply to #13

01/23/2007 10:18 AM

Then why there is always a repelling action between 2 women.

Nandan

Guru

In reply to #14

01/23/2007 1:45 PM

nandan, there are two types of celestial bodies, man and woman. These two bodies spin in two different directions, left or right. A right spin imparts a positive charge, while a left spin imparts a negative charge, as a woman has a negative charge they automatically repel each other. This leaves man, as mans positive charge is a so-called unbalanced charge, this means that man or men gravitate towards each other. But this gravitational pull between men only go's so far, then men tend to part company after a while. The big problem here is that when men part they tend to gravitate towards a woman, with all the problems that brings. I hope this answers you question

Associate

In reply to #8

01/23/2007 2:48 AM

It makes sense.

Nandan

Power-User

In reply to #8

01/25/2007 10:02 AM

I totally agree. Imagine this with any object in space. What are the chances whether a mass was a result of a collision, or from the big bang itself, (if that's what you believe) a perfect knuckle ball being thrown? Not likely at all in my opinion. Like I said in my initial post, it could make one full rotation a day or not within our lifetimes, it all depends on how it got there, and any forces acting on it that can affect it.

01/24/2007 1:17 PM

I believe all objects in space are spinning and it is quite impossible not to spin if we are talking about anything with mass. These masses just don't appear out of the blue, they got there somehow. The birth of these individual masses results in their orbit and spinning until another force large enough acts upon it. Whether it makes one full rotation once a day, or once every million years, you will not be there to witness the extreme anyhow. I thought I saw it move. lol!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); AstroNut (1); bhankiii (1); erssk (1); jmart23 (1); nandan (3); PlbMak (2); Scapolie (4); TLGEngrCo (2); Yanthram (1)

Previous in Forum: How Mars Could Be Terraformed   Next in Forum: What could cause Earth to be a periodic target?

Advertisement