Previous in Forum: roughness value   Next in Forum: Ford Ranger 4x4 Diesel Questions
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Associate

DIY Motorcycle Maintenance Packages

01/25/2010 9:28 AM

Please help me out I want to come up with DIY motorcycle maintenance packages -ei;oil changes,chain and belt,tire repair, onboard compressors etc.tell me want would turn you on to buy for motorcycles.

I do not want to leave anyone out, so even car & truck owners--give me feedback!!!!

i will unveil these ideas results at the April show 2010 @ the international centre in Toronto

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Commentator

Good Answers: 7

Re: DIY Motorcycle Maintenance Packages

01/25/2010 11:20 PM

What I would spend my money on depends on the type of bike I am going to be on. My BMW gets different farkels than my 1975 Z1 Rrickman CR. My son wants different things for his R1 Yamaha so I think what you ask for is just about impossible to provide short of starting your own distribution company.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

01/26/2010 6:56 AM

I know this is a huge undertaking-but your comments are very important to me.I guess the best way to reply is lets narrow it down to bear minimums.tell me what would -(package wise) keep the name of the company and its contents in your head and to tell your friends about.example 1) maybe a tune up kit--plugs,wire,air filter,fuel injector cleaner for each name brand popular-like r1 to yamaha,1600 to kawasaki ,shadows to honda.---and yes I sell synthetics oils.filters & plugs etc...

01/25/2010 11:38 PM

This is next to impossible! Your best bet is to refer to the owners manual & do tune-up/oil change kits... But then you have different oil choices for different areas of the country ie. weather temperatures regular oil, synthetic etc... What brand of spark plugs? Maybe offer grommet kits, bearing & seal kits... SS bolt kits

Good Luck

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #2

01/26/2010 7:02 AM

Anything is possible-just think or imagine your in my store -what will turn your crank and in what packaging style.-I appreciate the help.

Good Answers: 2

01/26/2010 9:15 AM

I have a Yamaha R1 and if I understand what you are wanting to do then here is a list for a general maintenance tune-up packages that I would buy. You would probably give a choice for different makes of items so people can kinda customize each package to there preferences.

600 Mile Package

-4 Quarts of (Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic) Oil

-1 Amsoil Oil Filter

-BMC Road Lifetime Air Filter and Cleaner

4000 Mile Package

-4 Quarts of (Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic) Oil

-1 Amsoil Oil Filter

-Small can of chain lube (Bel-Ray Super Clear Chain Lube)

-Small Tube All-purpose Lithium-soap-based grease for joint lube (kickstand, clutch lever, brake lever, steering repack, swingarm repack, etc)

8000 Mile Package

-Same items as 4000 mile package plus

-4 Spark Plugs

-Engine Ice High Performance Coolant

-Amsoil DOT 4 Brake Fluid

12000 Mile Package

-Same items as 4000 mile package plus

-EBC Brake Pads

16000 Mile Package

-Same items as 8000 Mile package

20000 Mile Package

-Same items as 4000 mile package

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #5

01/26/2010 10:43 AM

First off I would like to say thank you for your comments,they are right where I want them-to the point."Why should I buy your (insert whatever product you want)?!!!"

you gave what turns your crank and probably many others.Again thank you--and keep it coming if you think of anything else--

PS-I sell amsoil products-all of them in my stock!!

01/26/2010 9:51 AM

I think the problem you will have packaging brands together or a package of a single brand is that product/brand hype comes and goes.

Some people are true to a certain brand name no matter what and others buy what is good but on sale. I think if you try to package a single brand of products together or multiple brands in one package some stuff is going to just end up sitting on your shelf.

IMO a better idea is to offer a discount for buying products that go together for a single phase of maintenance.

Example -- changing an air filter on a dirt bike/atv - buy any foam filter, filter oil and filter cleaner - offer a discount.

Drive chain replacement is a good one too - Any chain, any new sprockets, any degreaser and any chain lube purchased together gets a discount.

A discount on the stuff I need and the brands I want -- that would make me buy.

Now if you are going to put maintenance packages together branded under your "Store brand" that might be a little different. But then people would have to develop trust that your "store brand" products are as good as any name brand. That may take some time to establish.

Here's to good luck with your marketing project.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #6

01/26/2010 10:57 AM

atvracer--you make good points

thank you-this is what I need from the brotherhood!

keep it coming!!!!!!!

In reply to #6

01/29/2010 8:23 AM

I like the idea of the maintenance packages at x000 miles. I do however think that ATVRacer has a good point on allowing people to choose what they want from the products that you carry.

If you set up a base package saying with this generic stuff this package costs $xxx.xx and then you can allow them to upgrade to other companies products and just add on a predetermined amount extra for the better product. This will allow you to give them a discount, let them have a choice in products, and more then likely have greater sales.

If this worked correctly that would be great I would definitely purchase it. I hate having to go to so many different places to buy all the things that I need to maintenance my bike.

I would be careful on giving to much info on how to do maintenance on certain things. You can get into liability issues there and you know there are people out there who would try and pull stuff like that.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #15

01/29/2010 12:11 PM

Absolutely!Some people actually make a living at that!!

but a disclaimer would take care of that-like always consult your manual before performing work on your bike on your own , and this is only an information outlet only.Safety is our priority ,do not perform work on brakes etc without an accredited bike mechanic going over your work first and signing --off--too much I know but you get the picture.

Also have an accredited bike mechanic give his opinion on a problem in article form--this way the magazine or sute is not liable.

How about giving a going rate on a product like EI;4 quarts of oil for 15.99ea and if you buy an oil filter get 2% off,then if you buy spark plugs, get an extra 2%,buy wires-get extra 1%,buy and air filter -get an extra 2% --so that you as customer can put your own package together and save money.

Since, if you buy the complete package today you won't need all of the items after 3000 miles later except maybe oil?????

Someone also mentioned chrome accessories--with the next oil change--buy mirrors and get extra 5% off,get pipes get an extra 7% off--????????????????.

In reply to #16

02/01/2010 8:21 AM

Yeah I like the build your own package idea with increasing % off. I would definitely be in for something like that. Of course your prices would have to be pretty good in the first place, because there are so many place online, which I am sure you are aware of, that have really cheap prices on almost all that already.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #17

02/01/2010 11:47 AM

its tough!I AGREE.

But,I must plow forward--just have to find a niche for myself to create a following and make money -not to become a Parts Canada or whatever big box store.

Good Answers: 17

01/26/2010 12:02 PM

I REALLY like the idea of the x000 mile packages! That is the way to go. However, I would include a checklist or maintenance manual (reader's digest version) of what the manufacturer recommends to professional mechanics for those tune-up points.

I am fully capable, but I don't know what or how to adjust everything that would be expected to be adjusted at those points, so I tend to let the dealership do at least every other one. The times the dealer sees my bike, it usually costs me from $200 to a grand to get it back from him, and when I do it myself, I swear that I am more thorough and careful while I do it - costing far less. The problem is that there is a little voice in the back of my head screaming "you only have two wheels and what happens if something goes seriously wrong!!?". Am I missing something that is a serious safety issue? I would know if the maintenance kit I bought told me what to be concerned about, and even suggested checks for common problems or wear points!

The problem with this is that you would need the support of MANY mechanics and manufacturers to do this right, and it will take some time to get the brand recognition you would need. Amsoil is a good brand to be recognized by, but they won't let you put their logo on the packaging for the non-lubricant stuff, and they will pull their name all together as soon as something goes wrong. You are an INDEPENDANT dealer and they will be quick to remind you of that. If they are willing to buy into the idea with you, then you may have the backing you need to get this done right. Tell Al you can make him another couple million, and maybe you can get into his magazine with a feature article! Maybe you have already done this and this is the reason you have a "blue sky" idea with currently no limitation.

Best of luck!

Register to Reply
Power-User

01/26/2010 2:48 PM

Hi,

On my thoughts of your project, I would like to see upgrade/chrome/etc. packages that have everything you need to do the job. You can go online and buy whole kits for chroming out a V8 small block chevy motor....try to do that for motorcycles. Also, lets say you buy a new exhaust, first thing they say is,"you need to rejet the motorcycle carb. up one jet size"...well, supply the jet in the kit!!!! I like the idea of the kits for mileages, but I don't believe too many people follow that to the T. I have managed a motorcycle factory repair shop, and I can tell you not many of the bikes came in for the checks.

Cheers,

Mastrsmth

In reply to #10

01/26/2010 5:14 PM

IT WAS GREAT TO LEARN YOU RAN A MOTORCYCLE SHOP AND YOU CAN GIVE ME YOUR EXPERIENCE REGARDING CUSTOMER HABITS ON BUYING AND DIY FERS'.THE CHROME STUFF IS GREAT .BUT ITS BEYOND MY FINANCIAL SCOPE AT THE MOMENT.SO I WOULD STICK WITH THE MAINTENANCE ITEMS--LIKE MAYBE TIRE,CHAIN,CHAIN LUBE TOGETHER --WHAT DO YOU THING--I NEED THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #11

01/26/2010 7:26 PM

Hi Guest,

I understand the financial thing, especially in this economy!! Start there, but keep in mind that those aren't that hard to put together for the layman. The chrome stuff I mentioned can be just small accessories, like (flame, skull, etc.) matching mirrors, valve stem covers, front brake reservoir, gas cap. You would not believe how inexpensive those things can be, but you have to peruse a dozen sites or catalogs to find them. I know if I were looking to dress up a bike and someone did the work for me I would pay a few!! extra $ for the saved effort. Just a thought on my end.

Peace, Mastrsmth

In reply to #12

01/27/2010 7:20 AM

MY MAN-THEY ARE GREAT THOUGHTS YOU HAVE PUT FORWARD--THIS IS NOT EASY ,AS YOU HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED AND NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.CATALOGING IS TIME CONSUMING--MINIMUM PURCHASING DOLLARS IS OF COURSE A FACTOR.THE NUMBER ONE FACTOR IS POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!!HOO WHO.EXLUSIVITY,POLITICS,TERRITORIES,NOT ON PAPER CONTRACTS!!-------BUT I DIGRESS.GUY'S ALL OF YOU COMMENTS ARE GREAT--ASK YOUR RIDING FRIENDS ABOUT THESE PAST COMMENTS AND GET BACK TO ON THEIR RESPONSE.I HAVE UNTIL APRIL SHOW TO START SOMETHING AND ALL SUMMER TO RIDE AND PROMOTE.BY THE WAY IF ANY OF YOUR IDEAS,THIS IS TO EVERYONE OF COURSE,COMES THROUGH,I WILL PROVIDE AS A WAY OF THANK YOU A FREE OIL CHANGE CAR OR BIKE-YOU HAVE IT IN WRITING BOY'S AND GIRLS.

Register to Reply
Associate

01/27/2010 7:35 AM

I would really like to, also hear from the female contingency,because they are rapidly becoming a factor in new riders.Sorry for the caps lock-I'm not yelling just bad habits.Also sorry for using the guest name on that last comment-BAD COMPUTER SKILLS--LOL OR LMASO!!I have until april to get this together and if I use any of your ideas I will provide a free oil change package--You have this in writing guy's so keep contributing and the best or an idea which made me tons of money! LOL!!!gets a free Amsoil t-shirt.Now since this thread is in writing I have put my word and reputation on it.That's how important this is to me.If i get a 100 ideas I will provide the free product to 1 or 2 ,not everyone.I realize that was obvious,but I had to make sure,I dont want to mislead anyone.Thank you.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); ATVRacer (1); BZimm84 (3); Frank Designs (1); mastrsmth (2); THE NOMAD (7); writer (1)

Previous in Forum: roughness value   Next in Forum: Ford Ranger 4x4 Diesel Questions

Advertisement