Previous in Forum: Power Supply as Battery Charger?   Next in Forum: Hollow Camshafts
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Power-User

Oil Control Piston Rings for Ported Cylinders

02/03/2010 8:36 AM

I need to find piston rings that are the same diameter for both a 2 stroke AND a 4 stroke that have oil control piston rings that can tolerate and operate properly in a ported cylinder without the oil control ring deforming, distorting and extruding into the port and breaking as it travels past the ports. As is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) in 2 stroke engines all of the rings will have to be 'pegged' so that they cannot rotate in the ring grooves so that the ends of the rings aren't over the ports and thus catch, flex and extend into the ports and break which will destroy all parts involved. The diameter is not critical as I will design and manufacture the pistons to suit the piston rings. But an approximate diameter of 2.5" ~ 6.25 centimetres give or take would be preferable. Because of the requirements of 2 stroke piston rings, motorcycle rings are the most likely candidates for the 2 stroke rings. The oil control piston rings from a 4 stroke have to likewise be of a suitable style and construction to utilize them successfully with ported cylinders.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: Oil Control Piston Rings for Ported Cylinders

02/03/2010 11:45 AM

Try Federal Mogul for a starting point.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #1

02/03/2010 6:00 PM

Thanks I will (< 8)

02/03/2010 10:59 PM

Dave Reed Otto Gas Engine Works 2167 Blue Ball Road Elkton MD 21921-3330 phone 410-398-7340 http://www.pistonrings.net

Hi

try the above gentleman for your piston rings he will most likely have what you want if you explain it all to him he has thousands of rings in stock

Cheers for now

Peugeot man

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #3

02/04/2010 12:30 AM

Great! thanks for the info, I will.

In reply to #4

HyperLink Test

02/04/2010 12:34 AM

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #4

02/04/2010 1:28 AM

I think you'll eventually have to chose a single piece cast iron scraper ring, sized so it has low ring-to-bore pressure. Maybe if you can't find this, you'll have to bridge the port. It's not difficult. Cheers, Stu.

In reply to #6

02/04/2010 1:45 AM

Hi Stu,

I'll use 2 stroke piston rings for the compression rings so they won't be a problem. As you are no doubt aware there are numerous different designs of Oil control piston rings for 4 cycle Otto ICs (Internal Combustion {engines}).

I may put a narrow strip up the center of each port thus basically making it an apparent 'dual port' so that there is additional support for the piston rings as they slide over the ports which will help considerably.

Getting the right type of oil control ring made for the same bore diameter as the 2 stroke compression rings is what I am after as I don't want to have to make the compression rings myself.

FYI: There will be 2 Oil control piston rings per piston: One at the top just below the second compression ring as is normal, but one at the bottom of the piston skirt as well.

Thanks for the info.

In reply to #7

02/04/2010 2:00 AM

Pleasure. The narrow strip up the centre of the port is called a 'bridge'. Cheers, Stu.

In reply to #8

02/04/2010 2:26 AM

I've added them before to existing ports that I've widened a bit.

One hell of a place to weld though. I'm nowhere near that good of a welder to do this sort of job, but I know others that are including with exotic and 'light' metals.

02/04/2010 6:11 PM

There are some rings manufacturers which are not "Federal.." or so, may be small workshops for special engines and people can not find spares for those.May be you don't want to design those rings, just buy whats somebody have in stock but if you have some idea how must be those rings, won't be hard send to make.Probably in your country is easier find spare parts and that kind of workshops are not so common, in such case just tell..

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #10

02/05/2010 10:30 PM

HI,

I worked as a machinist for 15 years with very wide and diverse variety of machining experience and have made custom piston rings before. There are more machine shop in the city I live in than any other city in Canada. 150 within a 20 minute bike ride from my home alone.

A lot cheaper and easier to buy them so I'm going to. Someone posted a good link here about an a old guy in New York that inherited and runs what is left of the 'Otto' works that started making Otto engines there about 1875. He is going to supply me with two – 2 stroke compression and two solid cast iron oil control rings for the same bore that I need for each piston.

Thanks for the info and the suggestion though, I appreciate it.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

02/05/2010 10:09 PM

There is a company called Total Seal piston rings. These are gap-less in design. The end of the one end will hook onto the other end. Once hooked, the ring can not expand beyond the limits of the designed length. This design was also used on some 70s era GM automatic transmissions, in small sizes 1.5-2"

Do a search and take a look. The limited expansion of these should keep them from spreading into the ports. Good luck, Let us know.

In reply to #11

02/05/2010 10:43 PM

Hi Bob,

I'm going to peg them all regardless, but they sound like a good option, I'll check into the 'Otto works' that has a huge inventory of piston rings and see what we come up with. Though the need to peg them means that the ring has to have at least a bit of a gap in them regardless. This isn't a production model but a 'working 'proof of concept' functional one. I have a full size plastic model of it already. With this in mind, If the old guy at the Otto works can match the bore size of some 2 stroke compression rings, I can very carefully put a pin jutting out just a very little bit and carefully notch the back of the piston rings just a little bit so that the peg holds them from rotating and get the best of both. I may just do the same for the compression ring as well. Once I'm building it, if what I just posted is not realistic, I'll just end up utilizing a peg where the ring interlocking was.

Thanks for the tip. . (< 8)

In reply to #13

02/06/2010 12:18 AM

Looks like you're on top of it. Good luck with the project.

Cheers,

Stu

In reply to #14

02/06/2010 12:28 AM

Yep,

Except for the money,

I'm going to patent and license my continuously variable transmission that doesn't utilize friction for the actual power transmission as all of the other's do first.

But I'll start the CAD-CAM drawing based on the ring size as a starting point

Though knowing me, I'll probably just do it from my head working out the necessary measurements as I go.

Though it is unlikely that I will be doing the actual machining on these, so will have to have full sets of drawings.

Thanks for your assistance.

Happy Trails on your hikes (< 8)

In reply to #15

02/06/2010 12:41 AM

Auto is one of my loves. And what you're doing is right up my street. Please keep me up to speed in this.

stueywright@msn.com

Cheers, Stu

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); bob c (1); DougRH (8); ferquiza (1); Stueywright (4)

Previous in Forum: Power Supply as Battery Charger?   Next in Forum: Hollow Camshafts

Advertisement