Previous in Forum: How to Clean Chemical Pipelines   Next in Forum: Variable Cooling Load
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

Good Answers: 3

Designing Axial Flow Impellers

02/03/2010 9:36 AM

I am trying to design axial flow fans, but the only reference I have found in my library is in Karassik's Pump Handbook.

He references the method devised by Hill and Peterson and another one by Steppanoff, based on NACA airfoil data. I can't found any of their books and Mr. Karassik didn't find it worthy to describe any method in his book.

Still, I bet there are some free resources out there. I have tried everywhere and googled a lot but can't find them.

Have you got any website or pdf you could send me?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

Re: design procedure for axial flow impellers

02/03/2010 11:34 AM

Interesting. Thanks.

Good Answers: 130
In reply to #1

Re: design procedure for axial flow impellers

02/04/2010 5:34 AM

Presumably something similar but for axial-flow impellers would be even more interesting!

Codey

Good Answers: 26

Re: Designing Axial Flow Impellers

02/04/2010 1:41 AM

Is this of any use to you as a start?

02/04/2010 8:43 AM

Buy the book by A. J. Stephanoff, Ph.D.

ISBN 0 471 82137 3

And use some of it.

For water:

You have airfoils or not and constant pitch or not. In any case with any resource you are left to wander in the woods over the ratio of diameters between the hub and periphery of the propeller/impeller. In any case you will need a place to test it no matter what design system you ultimatly use.

If the pump will operated at one head and rpm then a constant head design over a constant pitch. If the rpm and or head is variable then a constant pitch design.

If your hub diameter is .54 the prop OD, or more, then the hub question is erased. The best CM is 15.5 to 17.25 fps, just to help you start with the velocity triangles. I will leave you alone with the number of vanes and thier solidity and the diffuser design.....

h2om@hotmail.com

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #4

02/04/2010 4:54 PM

Thank you, but that book is out of print. I will have to look in the libraries to see if I can get a photocopy of it.

Thanks for the advice too. I already thought a test bench is going to be needed no matter how good my reading is.

In reply to #5

02/08/2010 4:55 PM

Ok, I finally got a copy of Stepanof from a public library. Problem solved.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Codemaster (1); gussosa (3); Kaisan (1)

Previous in Forum: How to Clean Chemical Pipelines   Next in Forum: Variable Cooling Load
You might be interested in: Axial Flow Pumps, Gas Flow Meters, Flow Meters

Advertisement