Previous in Forum: Leakage Test (Water Test) of UPVC Pipeline   Next in Forum: Hairline crazy pattern cracks in RC retaining wall
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

Good Answers: 3

courses or books on light steel framing?

02/12/2010 7:08 PM

I want to work as an industrial builder/contractor at some time in the future, and would like to get training in steel framing, steel erection and related stuff. I work with silos, elevators and that kind of equipment.

Please tell me if you know of some courses in this area, preferably in South America.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United States - Member - Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 50

Re: courses or books on light steel framing?

02/14/2010 12:12 AM

Please define as to what your "work" will be. If you are planning to design structures, it would be advisable to work towards formal training in an appropriate credentialed institution, so that professional licensing is possible.

Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

In reply to #1

02/14/2010 7:52 PM

Not design, just build, mount, install. I said it before: builder/contractor.

BTW, I am a Mechanical Engineer.

United States - Member - Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 50
In reply to #2

02/14/2010 9:39 PM

I can't specifically recommend anything in your area, my understanding is that there is internet based academic training in the subject at several institutions in the U.S. that may be of use to you. A proper bit of research my be in order.

My previous response was based upon a reality in these forums; many people want to pursue a new venture while possessing widely varying credentials. You appear to be ideally situated to pursue your goals with your academic training and abilities. We have many posters (as I would think you have probably noted) who would like to move into new ventures and have nowhere near the excellent credentials you possess. These are the folks who need the maximum amount of training, often starting with the basics.

Good wishes with your future endeavors.

Associate

Good Answers: 1

02/15/2010 9:27 AM

I would suggest taking a look at the light steel framing manual, and checking out MetalFraming.org for light steel stuff. Code wise it is probably not relevant to South America, but it should give you an idea of what is involved. I am a structural engineer here in the USA, and I would suggest finding your equivalent society of our American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). Being a mechanical engineer you already have some training in things like strength of materials, the concepts of load path, etc. As such I would also suggest that you might find a job with a company that does that sort of thing. I work at a design and engineering firm licensed as a engineering contractor, and so I get a lot of opportunity to interact with fabricators, erectors, and contractors. Eventually I will be comfortable enough to go out on my own doing similar work. Good luck in your endeavors.

Cheers

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

In reply to #4

02/17/2010 8:01 AM

I have my own industrial distribution (and consultancy) company. I would like to get the erection/contracting training so we can land more jobs providing a fuller solution for new grain processing and mining facilities. Not a single one of the erectors I have known had a formal training. They just try until it is done. I don't want to risk my reputation doing the same thing. If I hire a Structural Engineer I will still have to find some training for him/her.

Thanks for the tip on the manual, I just downloaded it.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #7

02/17/2010 10:04 AM

Well, that is a different situation for sure. I am a structural engineer for a company that designs conveyance systems and structures for the milling and mining industry. It is a tough industry to get into, I lucked into it myself. Most of the employees around here have been doing it for many years, and I don't think any of them have formal training in steel erection/contracting. Many of our employees have been in that industry many years (some since birth it seems), and are now with us to provide expertise in layout, structural design, etc. We then contract out the actual erection/construction process while maintaining the operations control, procurement, and project management. I have been told that we have chosen this way to operate because the profit margins are higher than in the actual erection/construction process. Your area might be different. If so, you might be able to find a small erection company that has been contracting in your target industry for a period of time, and join with them in some way to expand your services. I am not sure if this is helping, but that is how I am looking to do it if I ever go off on my own. Good luck in your endeavors. It is nice to hear of a company that can think about expanding its services, and is looking for a way to do it.

Cheers

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177

02/15/2010 1:43 PM

GA for Idrivetrains....as a LPE specializing in Structural Engineering I must concur with your assessment and recommendations.

An alternative for you young man is to locate an Apprenticeship program for Iron Workers....it may or may not be unionized where you live (or willing to travel to) in South America.

In reply to #5

02/17/2010 7:55 AM

I think there isn't any such association here or nearby. Almost all our construction industry is based in reinforced concrete or bricks.

I will try to find something in Brazil.

In reply to #6

02/26/2010 11:42 AM

In case someone is interested, I found this courses in Brasil:

http://www.cbca-ibs.org.br/nsite/site/evento_listar.asp

and these courses in Argentina:

http://www.consulsteel.com/

Brazilians are making a huge bet on steel framing in order to host the World Soccer Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2014. And even using steel framing they need to train 600,000 workers for the construction industry.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

CaptMoosie (1); gussosa (4); Idrivetrains (2); standarded (2)

Previous in Forum: Leakage Test (Water Test) of UPVC Pipeline   Next in Forum: Hairline crazy pattern cracks in RC retaining wall

Advertisement