Previous in Forum: Nasa Warns Solar Flares From 'Huge Space Storm' Will Cause Devastation   Next in Forum: Praises for CR4 and All the Members
Close
Close
Close
31 comments
Associate

Protecting Modern Auto's From Sunspot Damage

06/16/2010 11:22 PM

NASA is predicting very high and damaging EMF from sun spot activity. I'm wondering if we might come up with a method to convert modern automobiles to the old fashioned carburetor/spark coil/distributor system so that we will be able to get to the store for food. According to NASA, we have about a year to get ready.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: Protecting Modern Auto's From Sunspot Damage

06/17/2010 8:19 AM

So, just put one of these babies in your shed.

But why do you think there'll be any food at the store? Our modern transportation system all depends on electronics. Our local grocer can't even ring sales when the satellite link to corporate headquarters goes down.

In reply to #1

06/17/2010 9:15 AM

You're right, TVP45, the stores would prpbably be a mess, but maybe we'd just like to get the heck out of town.

Guru

In reply to #2

06/17/2010 10:32 AM

Ah, why didn't you say so?

In reply to #3

06/17/2010 4:41 PM

TVP45,

Is this a picture of you or just a friend?

Bob

Guru

In reply to #6

06/17/2010 7:11 PM

My highschool sweetheart. Not a very good dancer, but cheap to feed on a date.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #1

06/17/2010 1:29 PM

Boy, you are right about that.

I cannot recall the last time I saw a fuel pump that was not digital control. The trucks that deliver stuff to the grocery stores are computer controlled, so no deliveries. No banking. Cash will be king, for a little while anyway.

Aircraft will be disrupted. All types, including military, around the world. Rescue vehicles will be disabled, so be careful with fire. And don't get hurt, as the hospitals will be having some troubles of their own.

Water treatment facilities, clean or grey, will not operate. Neither will pumping stations, clean or grey. There is a disturbing thought.

I'm starting to worry... somebody stop me.

Good Answers: 60

06/17/2010 12:03 PM

on most modern cars even i would have trouble converting them to old technology.

diesel would not be to hard but gasoline wow use it as a door stop to hold garage door open for the horse

Associate

06/17/2010 8:10 PM

I was really hoping for some technical stuff on how cars are made today, and how they might be made resistant to EMF. I know about gas stations, trucks, grocery stores, and all that stuff. I'm wondering how one might get something done in the back yard or garage. I know I could go and buy an old jalloppy and tune it up, but I'd rather think about converting or modifying a modern car. I can do the Google thing too; I was hoping for a more technical, useful conversation. Has anyong thought about shielding with grounded copper screen wire, or aluminum foil? What components might be protected by a simple? means. (Please don't bitch at my sentence structure) What components are to be protected?

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

06/17/2010 10:59 PM

Faraday cages for all electronic modules, shielded cables for all connections.

Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #9

06/18/2010 12:31 AM

You should get your aluminum foil hat ready. What store? What food?

Gas pumps won't work so where will the gas come from.

"Technical, useful conversation" is not in your future.

Guru

In reply to #9

06/18/2010 1:30 AM

most vehicles already have protection from emf.

i personally wont be doing anything, if the sunspot activity is as strong as they say and will affect what they say, there will be very little you could do to protect your car.

the only thing you could try is to put braided wire covers on all the exposed wires, and cross link all the braiding to earth, but i doubt it would protect the most sensitive parts, ie the ECU`s.

as for the " I can do the google thing" yes you can but can you select the parts or links that google finds that are more relevant.

Take responsibility for yourself, do the research and fix the problem yourself, But i doubt it can be done to protect the car from such extreme emf which is as i have discovered is far greater than the EMP you get from a nuke, and you cant protect a car from that.

Look up EMP protection for military vehicles.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=emp+protection+for+cars&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GZEU_en&redir_esc=&ei=agQbTJffOZH60wTL4LSBCQ

Does this meet with your REQUIEMENTS ?

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #13

06/18/2010 9:55 AM

Peterg7lvg,

Have you, in your latest post, proven that there are no reasons for using this CR4 discussion forum? What did I do wrong in asking for discussion of this topic? Need I not have done it because I could have gotten better information by Googling? I really don't think CR4 forum questions should be answered by reference to Google searches.

Bob

Guru

In reply to #14

06/18/2010 10:23 AM

Most of the questions i have seen are from people who for whatever reason don't know how to or cant access google.

and if you don't like my answer don't read it look at the other answers.

surely an answer is better than no answer ?

You seem very argumenative, I was only trying to help,whats the problem with that, ?

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #14

06/18/2010 10:25 AM

So you want to add new rules for the posting of answers then do you?

Guru

In reply to #14

06/18/2010 10:33 AM

Have you, in your latest post, proven that there are no reasons for using this CR4 discussion forum? What did I do wrong in asking for discussion of this topic? Need I not have done it because I could have gotten better information by Googling?

I really don't think CR4 forum questions should be answered by reference to Google searches.

And if your first language is not English, or you are from a country that blocks google or other search engines, THEN WHAT DO YOU DO ? look at some of the questions asked and you will see that an elementary use of a search engine would have answered their question, but they don't use search engines, Why ? i don't know, But all up until YOU have found my replies useful.#

Your turn

Associate

In reply to #13

06/19/2010 3:35 PM

peter7lyg,

I've just voted your response a good one. Finally I have gotten around to reading the referenced site on EMP. Thanks, it's excellent.

Bob

Guru

In reply to #27

06/19/2010 3:57 PM

Thanks

for that

I sometimes come across some good sites and as well as helping the person who asked the question i know where to go should i wish to find that bit of info later on.

Guru

In reply to #9

06/18/2010 10:27 AM

everything electrical or anything connected to anything electrical that could act as an airiel for the emp.

Hows that ?

Associate

In reply to #17

06/18/2010 11:20 AM

Wonderful. You have answered ALL my questions.

Guru

Good Answers: 196

06/17/2010 11:12 PM

This is beginning to sound like the Y2K hysteria. Still I'm kind of glad I don't own a late model Toyota.... Ed Weldon

Guru

06/18/2010 12:39 PM

extreme test on car. Now if you car can stand this, I dont think a crona dishcarge will affect it

http://www.webridestv.com/videos/struck-by-lightning---top-gear-143434

Guru

06/18/2010 1:02 PM
Guru

06/18/2010 1:36 PM

some extreme solutions for protection from emf, i like the silver foil bit.

But main reason is the last comment, He likes what i post

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/55990?frmtrk=cr4sd#comment583003

Guru

06/18/2010 1:48 PM

Hamish,

Not to completely make light of this but, if we get a G4 or G5 storm, you should have a couple weeks water, food, and candles stored up. Nothing much is gonna help.

06/18/2010 2:20 PM

By the way, the reason power lines are susceptible i believe is they are very long wires suspended on insulators that go into power stations via insulators up to the point where the power comes from

and at the other end the go into low impedance transformers then into your home.

Now where else do you find a similar arrangement, ? well for the non engineers long and short and medium wave transmitters and receivers.

so you have in the power lines a massive Ariel array pointing towards the sky, so its not surprising sun spot activity would cause these problems.

But i would imagine they have equipment now to dump the extra power surge

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119

06/19/2010 10:55 AM

That solar activity can upset the power grid as well as radio and satellite communications is well known. NEMP and non-Nuclear EMP weapons and their affect on powered and portable electronics are also familiar topics.

Can you (or anyone else) please provide a credible source that shows (with numerical data) that the forecast solar activity will directly affect internal automotive electronics?

If a family minivan can receive a direct lightning strike and still motor on, do we really need a method to convert a modern "electronically" controlled car back to its "mechanically" controlled predecessor?

Guru

In reply to #25

06/19/2010 11:01 AM

NO !!

But just in case i am wrong it may be worth looking at.

Buy a diesel car with an inline or DPA (rotary pump) as these can be easily by passed

Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

06/21/2010 11:39 AM

Now at last, I will have a long line of people ready and willing to pay big money for my Renault Fuego. Were going to be rich! Rich I tell you.

I am getting a pair of car carriers and driving to the mountains of the Carolinas. I'm buying everything with weeds growing through the floors.

I'm going to be the next Donald Trump.

In reply to #29

06/21/2010 11:47 AM

I hope it works for you.

But i have my doubts that anything will happen, But we can but hope, It will make life more intresting

well for some of us anyway

Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123
In reply to #30

06/21/2010 12:09 PM

You sure sound as if you want to talk me out of it. Are you trying to cut into my action? Did Lynlynch put you up to this? Are you and him trying to corner the market?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bob c (2); Doorman (1); Ed Weldon (1); Hamish (6); lyn (1); mjb1962853 (1); peterg7lyq (14); TVP45 (4)

Previous in Forum: Nasa Warns Solar Flares From 'Huge Space Storm' Will Cause Devastation   Next in Forum: Praises for CR4 and All the Members

Advertisement