Previous in Forum: Taking Samples for Impact Tests   Next in Forum: Odor Sensors
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member China - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 14

Oil, Rocks, and Rivers

03/15/2007 6:04 AM

I always thought that the petroleum which lay under ground like a stream lay there until I watched a rv programme. Its not like a river running only but store in the rock body staticlly. in its capillary. Our chinese people call it " stone oil" is very vivid and visualize. from the programme I know how hard it is drill out from the capillary.
anyone out there still thnk that the petreleum exists as river runing undergroud?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: flow petroleum stream
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Oil, Rocks, and Rivers

03/16/2007 5:28 AM

The word petroleum derives from the latin words for rock and oil, "petr-oleum", so the chinese naming translates well.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 24

03/17/2007 8:44 AM

...how hard it is drill out from the capillary...

They heat the collected rocks or gravel to a low heat temperature, and re-condense the vapors, to collect and separate usable compounds

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #2

03/18/2007 8:45 PM

I think you're referring to oil sands , which for reasons beyond me seem to occur way up North . In the context of a drilled source , residual oil is flushed out (rather than conveyoring it into a processing plant ) . It's an interesting issue because ,in general, a resource mined by whatever method today will reach a point of un-profitability. Advances in technology can enable a given mine to re-open . The Geavor (not sure of spelling ) tin mine in Cornwall (UK) is a good example -It's been open and shut more times than my mouth.I was recently in Tyndrum (Scotland ) where there is talk of a small gold mine re-opening. I haven't tracked activity but suspect this scenario may have occurred with copper.

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member China - Member - New Member

03/19/2007 9:44 PM

most of oil field in the world has only 30% exploitation. some of them is benefited less than 50% by way of pouring water into ground to increase its pressure. it ws called the second openning. but chinese implement the third exploitation, to get 70% original oil(raw oil) from those old field. it was a miracle applauded by american pretroleum colleagues after visited these field. I was impressed by the scene. Science and tech seems no border. I was told as well that chiese oil seems not as good as produced in arab area in quality. so it has to pay more hard woirk to process it in refine mill.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #4

03/20/2007 3:27 AM

Yes , being organic in origin (like coal) , oil composition varies a lot.

03/26/2007 11:58 PM

oh, it seems only me has such incorrect concept.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); cnpower (2); Kris (2); Yuval (1)

Previous in Forum: Taking Samples for Impact Tests   Next in Forum: Odor Sensors

Advertisement