Previous in Forum: Need Thermoplastic Polyelastomer Pellets (maybe?)   Next in Forum: Architects User Group Request
Close
Close
Close
6 comments

Adult Trike Design

03/20/2007 3:59 PM

I need some advice on designing a tricycle. Some parts of the trike will share some resemblance to this one.

http://www.bike-on.com/merchant/955/images/large/JoyRider.jpg.

I would like to use one-inch aluminum tubing. But rather than one tube as in this picture, I would use two sections of tubing running all the way around and attach them with tees and elbows using metal adhesive.

I need to know what size, type and gauge of tubing I should use.

Thanks.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

Re: Adult Trike Design

03/20/2007 7:51 PM

If you are going to "Reverse Engineer" someone else's design, you should just find one and then get all the measurements of the mild steel tubing they are using. Then you will know as much as they do.

Otherwise, do what everyone else does, grab some tubing, build the frame and see what types of loads it will take. In any enterprise there is a point of diminishing returns. Trying to do a stress analysis to build a one off toy is that point. It would take 30 minutes to build the frame and 3 to 4 hours to run the numbers.

By the way, why did you choose such a low tech trike to copy? There are much better designs at this site.

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

03/20/2007 9:39 PM

Thanks, Prbarry.

The trike will not be a copy. The only things about the design that will be the similar are the "outrigger" type of front sprocket, which I will mount on the left and a frame that will surround the rider. One advantage of this is that it's easier to rig up a three chain rings in front and a six-sprocket cluster in the rear. I can use regular 24- or 26-inch wheels, and I don't have to worry about a long drive axle from the centre rear to the driving wheel. Another advantage is that sand, mud, ice and snow kicked up by the front wheel will not collect on the chain and sprocket.

Where are the designs you mentioned? Do you have a link?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115

03/21/2007 7:00 AM

I've pondered trikes for a while but never got down to doing anything . Picture this ;

A low down seating position , and get rid of those traditional peddles. Without foot straps about 1/3 of a revolution is wasted . With a sliding mechanism you could transfer all of your energy on the push , and maybe even have each 'Peddle' rigged so you could push both at the same time if required. What do you think ?

The low profile is good for wind resistance , but not very safe on a highway . Still , could be a hell of a lot of fun at one of those holiday place like Centreparcs ! It will never out pace a traditional 2-wheeler but there are plenty of advantages .

Good Answers: 1

03/21/2007 3:08 PM

If you have your design drawn up to your likeing, go to home depot and get a couple sticks their 10' long, of emt(electrical metal tubeing)(conduit). It's cheep, there are benders for it,there are coupelings to fit it, or it can be brazed very nicely (a lot of steel bike frames are brazed) and when bent and or braced a little the structure becomes quite strong. It is not quite as light as aluminum but it is not as expensive and is easier to work with. I built a recumbant trike a few years ago out of 1/2" and 3/4" emt and it turned out to be tuffer than the wheels that I used. The wheels were the weak link in the whole project. I have built several bike trailers with emt for the frame and never had one come apart,or fail in use.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

03/21/2007 3:19 PM

The museum in Taiwan has a few hundred bicycle designs on exhibit it is enormous, Unfortunately I have no way that you can see them other than going there. Pay my way and I will go for you??

Register to Reply

In reply to #5

03/22/2007 5:07 PM

Thanks, all.

My project now has more focus.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

hilltopper (1); Kris (1); prbarry (1); travelerengineer (1); Tyro65 (2)

Previous in Forum: Need Thermoplastic Polyelastomer Pellets (maybe?)   Next in Forum: Architects User Group Request
You might be interested in: Plastic Tubing, Rubber Tubing

Advertisement