Previous in Forum: Energy Saving by insulating underground pipe   Next in Forum: Effect in Steam Turbine Due to High Vaccum in Condensor
Close
Close
Close
3 comments

Boiler Desuperheater Drain Line Diameter Design Specifications

01/04/2011 2:24 PM

Hi there, I have been assigned to install a drain line on a superheater desuperheater, and am looking for an ASME code (or any other code), that will allow me to determine the diameter of the drain line, relative to the diameter of the line being drained. The design conditions are: Temp: 220*C Pressure: 310 Bar / 31MPa Any assistance or advice would be very much appreciated!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: boiler Drain line superheater
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Re: Boiler Desuperheater Drain Line Diameter Design Specifications

01/05/2011 11:22 AM

Someone in the process group needs to define the quantity of condensate expected to be formed and based on that is that you design your condensate line size

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 38

01/05/2011 1:03 PM

towz.....

Typically, this drain is part of the scope supplied by the boiler vendor. So, by installing a new drain on an existing plant, you are performing a major boiler modification because you are within the boiler pressure boundary.

This is not just another piece of piping...

We don't know where you are located, but in most parts of the civilized world, boiler modifications must be designed, performed, inpected and tested by an approved organization

Boiler repairs in the USA must be performed by a shop that has an ASME "R" stamp and ( possiblely) an NB stamp

Just in case you are asked.....

The size of the drain is determined by the amount of time that you want to wait for drainage.

In reply to #2

01/05/2011 11:58 PM

Ok, perhaps I should have been more specific as to where exactly these drain lines will be situated. The drains will be used to drain the spray water section of pipe that supplies the desuperheater (there are two spray water stations per desuoperheater, so one can be shut down whilst the other undergoes maintenance). So its not really regarded as a vital project, as the station has be running without them for about 20 years, its just become a safety issue recently. I am only a student working on this, so all my work is going to be redone by a professional engineer, so I just need some type of formula (preferably from ASME standards) to determine a realistic drain line diameter (as I have absolutely no experience in this). Again any help whatsoever would be very much appreciated.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

MJCronin (1); towz (1); vargaalex (1)

Previous in Forum: Energy Saving by insulating underground pipe   Next in Forum: Effect in Steam Turbine Due to High Vaccum in Condensor

Advertisement