Previous in Forum: Industrial vs Service Robots   Next in Forum: Iplan Program to Fetch Data From PSS E
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Power-User

Help! Eagle CAD Problem

02/21/2011 10:24 PM

Hi,

I installed Eagle CAD 5.10.0, and initially there were all the electronic components in the list to place on my schematic. I accidentally pressed "Drop" while I was about to add a component, and from now on I can't find any component under the "Add" list.

What has happened?

I tried uninstalling and then installing again, it didn't work. I uninstalled it and installed another version of Eagle CAD 5.11.0 it was still blank - there were no options under Add. Please help.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 137

Re: Help! Eagle CAD Problem

02/22/2011 8:19 AM

The people at http://www.cadsoftusa.com/ know their product and are very helpful. Give them a call at the number listed on their web site. Ed or the new guy at Cadsoft can help you.

Eagle is not a "top end" package, but in terms of what you get for your dollar it is a very good deal. Even the free version is very useful.

Eagle does not quite have a "Windows(R) feel". I suspect that their user interface grew out of a mixture of Linux and Windows influences. It is easy to get stuck because what you are doing is just a little "wrong". Chances are you are just not quite doing something the way they want.

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

02/22/2011 11:00 PM

The most likely problem is that the program has lost its directions to the folder containing the library parts. There should be a "Preferences" menu item somewhere in the "File" or "Edit" or "Tools" main menu. Typically, within the preferences menu, there is somewhere to specify where you have stored your parts libraries. Most likely, within the home directory of the Eagle installation, there should be a "Libraries" folder, and you need to tell the program where theis folder is.

I do not use Eagle- these instructions are pretty generic for most such programs. You did not mention whether you are using the Windows version or the Linux version. This will make a difference as to where to look in your file system for the library files.

It is unlikely that you have erased the library files. You just need to find them and then tell the Eagle system where they are located.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #2

02/22/2011 11:32 PM

Yes, not providing the proper directories will leave you with an empty feeling....

In that case, the drop command just releases the part/library from RAM and prevents loading it at startup, until reversed.

Guru

02/22/2011 11:28 PM

Eagle is quite good for most human sized projects, a very stable program, but with some quirks...

If you choose to drop a part/library, it will remove it from memory buffer for immediate use and from your parts choices menu.

You can go on the control panel and choose libraries, right click and choose all, the grey dot beside the library names will all turn green, and your parts will reappear.

In that state, Eagle will use the most memory and take longer to load, so you should set to use the libraries you may need, and leave off the libraries you know you will never use.

Looking for a part that is in an unchosen library is frustrating and can be time consuming...

02/23/2011 8:28 AM

No luck. There is File, Edit, Draw, View, Tools, Library, Options, Window, Help. I tried typing in Help, no luck.

I checked the other places too, there is no preference. I have Eagle 5.11.0 Light

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

02/23/2011 8:42 AM

Same here, you got the control panel?

And some stuff under Libraries?

If not, go under Options then Directories and make sure paths are filled:

I replaced $EAGLEDIR\lbr and $EAGLEDIR\projects with my own paths, the default paths still work and provide the installed files.

02/23/2011 10:47 PM

Could someone help? I really need to get started on the circuit of a project. What I just did was press Drop. And next thing I know there is nothing in the Add option.

How do I undo it and bring everything back to how it was?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

02/23/2011 10:51 PM

So you did all this and still not working?

If you have your schematic open, go in the libraries and choose a part, right click to use in schematic.

08/24/2011 6:07 AM

In Eagle Control Panel right click on Librarier and choose use all.That will load all the libraries.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (1); cwarner7_11 (1); gigaconcept.com (4); Jay_ (2); pulsartomi (1)

Previous in Forum: Industrial vs Service Robots   Next in Forum: Iplan Program to Fetch Data From PSS E

Advertisement