Previous in Forum: AC or DC Power Electromagnetic Flow Meter.   Next in Forum: Water Pressure Sensor with MCU and RF Transceiver
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Active Contributor

How SSR Works?

06/01/2011 2:41 AM

How Does an SSR Works?

if i have this ssr specifications

omron ssr

load: 10A @ 24-240VAC

input voltage: 4-32VDC

heres my scenario, i have a multivariable recorder with an output of 5VDC/DO, and i would use an audible alarm 24VDC, i would connect my recorder to an ssr so that i can control my alarm which is 24VDC, this would be connected (alarm) to a 24V power supply. the load side is rated @ 24-240VAC, will it works? or the load side should be 24-240VDC since i would connect may 24VDC power supply to my alarm.

im somewhat confused of using an ssr or relay, since there is no locally made relay with 5vdc input here in our country..

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

Re: How SSR Works?

06/01/2011 4:09 AM

Secondary Surveillance Radar?
Don't use undefined acronyms it is bad practice. Define them the first time you yuse them in a document.
Else it is a BWOT (Big waste of time). You can then subsequently say BWOT and we will know what you are talking about.
Del

India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 52
In reply to #1

06/01/2011 4:31 AM

Absolutely right,My Guess is Solid state relay.

Good Answers: 86

06/01/2011 7:26 AM

Totally unsuitable for DC side because SCR's or Triacs are used as switching devices on almost all AC Solid State Relays and will NOT switch off untill driven current gets close enough to zero cross. And some SSR types will not even start because their gate driving cirquit waits for a voltage zero cross. S.M.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #3

06/01/2011 1:28 PM

Quite right. There are alternatives though. Here's one.

06/01/2011 10:59 PM

the input voltage is 4 to 32 VDC, so the ssr would only activate if input voltage is between 4-32VDC right? if below 4 volts it would de-activate am i right? or the input voltage should be @ zero volts?

the load is rated @ ac voltage, does it mean that dc voltage has no effect on it?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 86
In reply to #5

06/02/2011 1:24 AM

If you feed it with less than 4V input will not turn 'on'. If already 'on' (meaning it was fed with more than 4V before) and activating voltage gets lower than 4V it will go to 'off' state as soon as the momentary output (driven) current goes under a predefined level depending on SSR specifics. It's safe to assume this level is very low (near zero), so driving DC current it never will. Pretty straightforward. Also notice the potential activating problem in previous post. S.M.

06/10/2011 2:03 AM

i tested the ssr, 5 vdc input and connected the output side to a 24vdc beacon light, the problem is, whenever i closed the circuit the output side [24vdc for beacon light] and i input 5vdc to the input side of the ssr, the beacon doesn't turn on, unless i disconnect its power and power it again [still there is a 5vdc input in the input side], and when i remover the 5vdc input, the beacon is latched [always on] unless i disconnect the power again of the beacon. and after that if i input again 5vdc it will not work, and im back to the beginning, so im wondering if there is a solution to this circuit, so that i could work my ssr as an ordinary relay [mechanical type] that will not latch on and the output depends on my input...

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Del the cat (1); dred (2); rakesh_semwal (1); RDGRNR (1); SimpleMind (2)

Previous in Forum: AC or DC Power Electromagnetic Flow Meter.   Next in Forum: Water Pressure Sensor with MCU and RF Transceiver

Advertisement