Previous in Forum: Mathematical model for water droplet shape -Award   Next in Forum: String Theory on One Page
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Retired South Africa - Member - The Rainbow-nation Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Relativity & Cosmology Popular Science - Cosmology - The Big Picture!

Good Answers: 68

Photosynthesis and Quantum Computing

04/16/2007 1:16 AM

Quantum computers and blades of grass may have more in common than you might think. Physicists in the US have shown that electrons involved in photosynthesis reactions "sample" different energy-level routes in much the same way quantum-computer algorithms can -- at least in theory -- quickly search through unsorted databases. The researchers claim that the discovery could explain how photosynthesis can proceed at efficiencies unparalleled in man made solar cells (Nature 446 782). (Gregory Engel and colleagues at the University of California in Berkeley.)

... Some may have qualms over Engel's conclusions, however, because the experiment was performed at a temperature of just 77 K. The physicists chose this to exaggerate the behaviour of the electrons so that the experiment would be easier to demonstrate. But they insist that the energy transfer process would remain the same at more hospitable temperatures. "I'm not convinced it will," said Sension. "Things are more rigid at low temperatures, so there is less [chance] that it will lead to decoherence. But it remains to be seen."

Click to read full Physicsweb article by Jon Cartwright. (Free subscription to Physicsweb may be required)

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Re: Photosynthesis and Quantum Computing

04/16/2007 11:18 AM

So its my lawn that keeps messing with my computer thanks grass.

04/17/2007 9:09 PM

Plenty of fish in the sea but not many bites, is it that no one wants to be grassed up.

04/24/2007 7:09 PM

Seems your on your own with this one Jorrie.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Retired South Africa - Member - The Rainbow-nation Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Relativity & Cosmology Popular Science - Cosmology - The Big Picture!

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #3

04/25/2007 1:49 AM

Fortunately not mine, just reporting an interesting bit of news!

In reply to #4

04/29/2007 10:42 AM

I wonder why no one took to this topic perhaps too down to earth or they are a bit green when it comes to a more biological subject. At least you did your bit to try and inspire people to look at things in a new light.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); BrainWave (3); Jorrie (1)

Previous in Forum: Mathematical model for water droplet shape -Award   Next in Forum: String Theory on One Page

Advertisement