Previous in Forum: Sample P&ID Drawings Required   Next in Forum: Bio diesel
Close
Close
Close
4 comments

Salt for an Aquarium

04/17/2007 3:34 PM

I have several saltwater aquariums , requiring partial water changes .without the access to pure ocean water , mixing my own is somewhat of a challenge at times .I have searched for information and I hope to find out if , pure sea salt that is sold in large bags for water conditioners I believe . it says on the bag that it is harvested from drying seawater with nothing subtracted or being added to it .is this the same as the salt being sold at the pet shops for use in aquariums ? also when ocean water evaporates , can other substances also escape with the water vapor ? could you take the powder remaining after the seawater dries and add it to pure water to return it to seawater ? thank you for any time that is shared .

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Salt for an Aquarium

04/17/2007 11:42 PM

The main salt in sea salt is sodium chloride. The sea salt sold in pet shops is generally quite similar to sea salt, though some trace elements may be missing. You can buy the trace elements in liquid form packaged in bottles. As to whether any substances can evaporate away together with the water, mainly it would be dissolved gases. Dissolved organics may break down as the water evaporates away, but these are highly unlikely to be a problem.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #1

04/18/2007 12:00 AM

In reply to #2

04/18/2007 2:00 AM

I will check it out , thanks

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

04/18/2007 1:58 AM

thank you

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); aurizon (1); nickillickin (2)

Previous in Forum: Sample P&ID Drawings Required   Next in Forum: Bio diesel

Advertisement