Previous in Forum: Owners Manual - 2001 Sebring xli   Next in Forum: Harley Pipes
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Participant

Molybdenum Disulfide as a Lubricant Addative

07/22/2011 11:06 AM

Has anyone used Molybdenum Disulfide as a lubricant addative in the differential or transfer case on any vehicles? If so, did you notice any improvement in rolling ease or any improvement in the fuel efficiency? Thanks,

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Molybdenum Disulfide as a Lubricant Addative

07/22/2011 11:14 AM

I doubt that one could tell any difference after adding MoS2 to either.

I'd check the owners manual or ask a dealer before I put ANY additives in either one. They are very expensive to replace. I know that some differentials require very specific lubricants.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

07/22/2011 1:33 PM

Generally, if there really was an additive that could improve the engine or transmission operation, the oil companies would have already put it in their blend.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 86

Re: Molybdenum Disulfide as a Lubricant Additive

07/22/2011 1:40 PM

MoS2 is extremely effective as a friction (and wear) reducing agent when added in lubricants specially on extreme pressure and shock nature loads, but it is also associated with environmental and health hazards. Anyway I don't think you will notice significant rolling ease difference in normal to low stress conditions comparing to a good lubricant or have worth mentioning fuel efficiency improvements in other than racing. S.M.

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 3

07/22/2011 11:19 PM

If you want to try it, (but usually not a good idea second guessing the car / oil makers etc) the easiest way would be to make a trip of say 100 km before & measure the diff temp rise, then add the MOS & retest temp rise, under similar conditions.

Commentator

Good Answers: 5

07/22/2011 11:36 PM

Climax Molybdenum Company has done extensive research using Moly as an addition to lubricant. Several companies make oil that contains MoSo4. I think that's right. One of the difficulties was that the "detergent" motor oils would keep the moly from staying on the serface of the moving parts. The second problem in engines was that the oil filter would catch the moly. There are moly filled piston rings, moly coated skirts on pistons, moly assembly oil, moly grease, and moly gear lubes. The moly will impregnate the surfaces of the parts.

Good Answers: 31

07/23/2011 10:18 AM

Works great but do not use on any type of limited slip differential that uses clutches. All others work fine such as Detroit Locker etc. Do not use in Automatic Transmission.

Good Answers: 60

07/23/2011 12:18 PM

Many years ago I had an MG TA sports car. This had an oil-bath clutch system. "Molyslip" was heavily advertised at the time, so I put some in my engine oil. After 2 days, I could put the car in gear, let out the clutch and the car would not budge at all. I could get out of the car with engine running at tickover and in gear. 100% clutch slip. So does MoS2 work? Too damned well! Molyslip sent me 2 gallons of flushing oil, but that didn't work. In the end it was a new clutch and they were good enough to pay for most of it. My complaint was that there was no mention of "do not use in oil-bath clutches" on the can.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); energyconversion (1); lyn (1); Randouli (1); roy hammy (1); SimpleMind (1); Stuart21 (1)

Previous in Forum: Owners Manual - 2001 Sebring xli   Next in Forum: Harley Pipes

Advertisement