Previous in Forum: Old Ice Water vs. New Ice Water   Next in Forum: Science Or Anti-Science?
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

Low and High Pressure Fluid Safety

08/05/2011 6:06 PM

Hello all,

Been off the grid for awhile.

I need help with locating a source for identifying and downloading safety standards for performing work on low to high pressure fluids. (10 - 2800 PSI)

I am up to my neck in HIRA - OHSAS documentation and must define safe operating procedures for all of the Instrumentation Technicians when working on compressed air, NG, LPG, water, oil, acetylene, etc.

Anyone have a good source for safety standards on this subject.

Appreciate the help,

Jim

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

Re: Low and High Pressure Fluid Safety

08/05/2011 6:53 PM

OSHA has your answers.

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #1

08/09/2011 9:57 AM

Good morning,

Thanks for the response.

Wading through the OSHA documents is a bit tedious to say the least.

I am hoping that there is an easier way to accomplish the task.

I thought maybe someone had already complied the documentation in an easy to read format that all of our techs can master so they stay safe in the workplace.

My plate runneth over and the ravenous alligators are increasingly exponentially in the quay.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 55

08/06/2011 11:59 PM

Hi Shockiscan!

Many many decades ago, before the invention of OSHA, the "new gestapo", I was working in the car business.

One of the mechanics at a local dealership was testing the spray pattern on a diesel injector using a special pump designed to develop the pressures required.

One of the injectors did not fire at the requisite pressure and for reasons no one could explain the guy waved his hand under the nozzel.

Yup! it happened. . . . . . . . the injector fired and the pressure created an embolism (?) of diesel fuel in a primary blood vessel.

Fortunately, an ambulance was nearby and the hospital was but 5 minutes away.

They saved his life.

The incident inspired a whole new generation of self imposed safety rules as well as a training program that soon got the endorsement of the insurance company. OSHA did not exist back then.

Today we must COA's and show compliance with a government agency that I have little respect for, a position I took after watching a 600% increase in injuries as a consequence of forced compliance with new safety guards they demanded on machines with demonstrated safety records.

Fortunately, Congress got enough heat to impose leashes on the goon squads that existed then.

I understand that the current enforcement is more benevolent and rational.

Still, when dealing with the Feds, it's prudent to do your own rigorous thinking about safety and not depend solely on what they say. That you complied with Government standards won't mean Bupkis when someone gets hurt.

A good example of this was a major airframe manufacturer in the General Aviation community who built a popular twin engined plane, one that was certified for use in known icing conditions by the FAA.

When that plane crashed after flying through known icing conditions and the occupants all died, the manufacturer got sued, big time, . . . . . not the FAA.

Trust no one. Write your own standards. Know the OSHA rules but only as guidelines.

L.J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Laughing Jaguar (1); RVZ717 (1); SHOCKISCAN (1)

Previous in Forum: Old Ice Water vs. New Ice Water   Next in Forum: Science Or Anti-Science?

Advertisement