Previous in Forum: 36V Strobe Circuit   Next in Forum: Voltage and Reactive Power Hunting Show in My Power Plant. What Reason Behind It
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Commentator

Dehumidifier Problem

11/12/2011 4:26 PM

I have a LG Dehumidifier model nr: LHD459EL Y9

I has stopped working and trows code 01. Online there are two answers to this code:

1. Your humidity sensor is broken

2. The bucket is full

I have checked the bucket switch and that workes fine. The sensor looks good but I really can't say. The sensor costs 30 bucks so I wanted your opinion before I spend it.

Most other parts in the dehumidifier have been tested, however testing the circuit board is impossible. So I have as only possible issue the sensor although the sensor looks like a very simple capacitor thats hard to break.

Let me know

Fuif

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Humidifier problem
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1661

Re: Dehumidifier Problem

11/12/2011 4:44 PM

Unplug unit. Empty the bucket and put a jumper across the sensor leads.

Plug in unit. See if it works.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #1

11/12/2011 5:45 PM

Yeah we have done all of that with every possible devise in the thing. After some research I found out that jumping the sensor leads is not going to do anything as the sensor is a capacitor. The onboard computer measures the capacitors value as it changes by the humidity.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1722
In reply to #2

11/12/2011 7:28 PM

I believe the sensor is called a thermistor, and it is probably used as low temperature safety control...This circuit board is nothing more than an on/off switch, if you have a voltage meter just check the power coming in and see where it stops...ie. is it entering the circuit board? The humidistat control should be tied into the board and the 'full bucket' lockout switch and any other safety controls...If the board is good and no switches are tripped or off, then power should be leaving the circuit board and going to the fan and compressor,,, is the fan running? If the fan is running but not compressor, disconnect the power and check the wire terminal for burnt connections, or bad thermal overload switch....If the unit has low refrigerent lockout switch, it could be tripped...If you can reset this manually, do so....If not, you could have developed a refrigerant leak... The compressor could be seized...If you have an amprobe check the amp draw on startup, if it's seized it will draw LRA for 3 to 5 sec before going off on overload...The humidistat can be checked with a continuity tester, as can the 'full bucket' switch and others...I wouldn't worry about the thermistor...

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #2

11/13/2011 9:53 AM

You maybe correct that the sensor is of the capacitance proximity type, similar in operation with an elevator non-movable type floor selection switch. By sensing changes in capacitance as humidity /conductivity level changes.

The electronic processing circuit may be at fault that replacing the sensor will not change anything! You may need the help of a pro in electronics to be able to trace and troubleshoot to component level. Else you may need to order a new replacement board and resort to troubleshooting by substitution, which may cost more? Call the manufacturer for customer assistance / guidance. Good luck1

Good Answers: 14

11/13/2011 12:02 AM

Humidity senor is a delicate sensitive control .Usually two thermistors are used to measure the dry bulb and wet bulb and hence the humidity. In case if some hygroscopic nature of some slats such as CACl2 ,LiCl2 etc. these materials must have lost their electric resistances and hence senor is not working.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1722
In reply to #4

11/13/2011 9:06 AM

In typical solid state humidity sensors it is a set of two matched thermistor elements: One is hermetically glass encapsulated in dry nitrogen, the other is exposed to the environment...

glass encapsulated thermistor

Thermistors differ from resistance temperature detectors (RTD) in that the material used in a thermistor is generally a ceramic or polymer, while RTDs use pure metals. Negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistor, bead type, insulated wires...

Here's a link to a supplier...http://www.thermistor.com/references/QTI_newcatalog.pdf

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

11/14/2011 1:42 PM

I don't think the sensor he is referring to is the humidity sensor, I believe it is a capacitive level sensor for the holding tank. They tend to use capacitives because they are immune to influence from other environmental issues and can sense directly throiugh plastic.

Although this might be a capacitive sensor, most likely the sensor itself has the detection circuit built into it and all it does is close a switch that is read by the PC board. To do otherwise would have been more costly for the Dehimidifier mfr. So if you can see three wires on the sensor, one is power to it, the others are the signal and common. If you cannot determine which is which, it should not be a problem to briefly touch one to another to see if you get any response. Capacitive sensors use very little power so there is not likely to be enough energy in the circuit to do any damage if you get it wrong.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

11/16/2011 5:46 PM

Assuming that the compressor works fine you could always bypass the electronic control and wire one of these in series with the hot (black in the US) wire....

Ranco DH55 Dehumidistat Switch, White by Air King

It's line voltage and available from Amazon for $21. Not as elegant as the electronic variety but not as fussy either.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

fuifnummer (1); JRaef (1); lyn (1); mrswamy (1); RAMConsult (1); SolarEagle (2); vsar (1)

Previous in Forum: 36V Strobe Circuit   Next in Forum: Voltage and Reactive Power Hunting Show in My Power Plant. What Reason Behind It

Advertisement