Previous in Forum: Intelligent Energy Management Solutions?   Next in Forum: NiCd Battery Ah Calculation
Close
Close
Close
5 comments

Specific Doubts in MPPT for PMSG Stand-alone Applications

01/15/2012 3:32 AM

Hello everyone, I am working on MPPT Schematic for a PMSG stand-alone wind energy conversion system. I have seen from my literature review that grid-connected WECS are better analyzed than stand-alone systems. Hence, I would like help in clarifying some of my doubts.

Find attached (my impressions of) a schematic of a Stand-Alone WECS.

http://bit.ly/w8w41M

1. Is the Schematic A correct, or is Schematic B correct. If I want to analyse the behaviour of existing stand-alone systems to study their performance, which schematic should I base my simulation upon? (ie. Is a battery necessary in my simulation studies)

2. I have read that regulation of the Dc-Link voltage leads to change in the generator loading, thereby leading to achievement of MPPT. Are they referring to Vdc, in or Vdc, out here (when they say Dc-link voltage)? My guess is Vdc, in (which is why the Boost converter is needed), but I would like to be sure.

3. What is the purpose of the Boost converter? Is it needed to perform MPPT by changing the loading on the Generator (by changing duty cycle) or to maintain the DC-link voltage at a constant value by controlling duty cycle. Is the Dc-Link Voltage (Vdc, in or Vdc, out) kept at a constant value?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1733

Re: Specific doubts in MPPT for PMSG Stand-alone Applications

01/15/2012 12:01 PM

First, define your acronyms...

In reply to #1

01/15/2012 1:46 PM

Never mind...Is this your paper?

"This paper develops a framework of maximum power point tracking (MPPT) of doubly-fed induction generator (DFIG) based and permanent magnet synchronous generator (PMSG) based wind energy systems. The principles of MPPT in various wind generators are firstly investigated and feedback control schemes to realize MPPT with/without wind speed measurements are presented. Stability analysis of the wind energy conversion system with sensorless MPPT is investigated. Case studies of various wind energy system configurations are given to demonstrate the MPPT control schemes."

Reference link

In reply to #1

01/15/2012 4:50 PM

In reply to #3

01/15/2012 8:42 PM

@SolarEagle:

I have not authored any paper on PMSG Maximum powerpoint tracking (as yet) . Thanks for the links, they look helpful. Will go through them and get back. Sorry about the over-usage of acronyms. Here they are anyways .

PMSG - Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator

MPPT - Maximum Power Point Tracking

WECS - Wind Energy Conversion System

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #4

01/16/2012 12:25 PM

TVM - Thanks Very Much

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aditya1 (1); Anonymous Poster (1); SolarEagle (3)

Previous in Forum: Intelligent Energy Management Solutions?   Next in Forum: NiCd Battery Ah Calculation

Advertisement