Previous in Forum: Deep Sea Vents   Next in Forum: Help Doc, some hearing loss right ear, What could it be??
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 26

Captain On the Bridge?

01/27/2012 11:57 PM

It's good to see the space program is alive and well. Other than this slight delay in getting parts. (it was foggy last night, but isn't why they make radar) I just hope they can get it into orbit, better than they can get it to Cape Canaveral.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: bridge captain collapse rocket SHIP space
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163

Re: Captain on the Bridge?

01/28/2012 6:16 AM

i sure hope this is not indicative of things to come

Worse than locking keys in car

Good Answers: 1683
In reply to #1

Re: Captain on the Bridge?

01/28/2012 10:20 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 178

Re: Captain On the Bridge?

01/28/2012 9:37 AM

Reminds me of a verse from an old sea-faring song.......

"What do you do with a drunken sailor, what do you do with a drunken sailor, early in the morning......"

01/28/2012 9:53 AM

Captain to engine room. "All back, full. We've got a little piece of metal stuck on the bow. I'd like to dislodge it before we dock".

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #3

01/28/2012 1:40 PM

More like, "Now, full speed ahead to the scrap yard! We've got to get this unloaded before the fog clears!"

I've heard of thieves stealing wiring, condenser coils, and even an old truck axle from a field, to sell as scrap metal, but this is sinking lower.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

01/28/2012 2:57 PM

"Sinking lower". I love the nautical allusion.

How's the fishing?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #8

01/28/2012 5:22 PM

I don't know, personally, I'm not dedicated enough to get on the lake in my canoe when it's this cold. Locally the water is under 50 degrees F. In the winter, the crappie fishing is usually good around the pylons next to the 60' deep channel (where this ship should have been) under this bridge.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 178

01/28/2012 10:19 AM

Well at least the State of Kentucky was going to replace the 1930's-era bridge this spring. Now they don't have to spend so much on demolition work!!! hehehehhe

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

01/28/2012 11:08 AM

Should have him take down the other spans while he is there. Did such a good job with that one.

Good Answers: 246

01/29/2012 11:55 AM

Thanks for the links. I had not heard of the incident.

It's pretty clear that some captains of large vessels need to take their jobs more seriously!

I find it embarrassing to learn of this through a UK news agency! I checked three different US news sources, and saw no reference to it!

In reply to #10

01/29/2012 9:12 PM

It is embarrassing. Interesting too. I was there when the story was relayed to NPR (Nat. Public Radio) around 10:00 P.M. I would think it would be national news, because it's the most blue and red lights I've ever seen - on the road and in the water. I applaud the response of the local volunteer rescue squads in their boats.

I'm glad no cars went in the water. The first east and west bound cars on the bridge were able to stop in time, which is amazing since it was dark, foggy, and raining. That could make a good tire commercial!

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - Member United States - Member - Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - Member

Good Answers: 7

01/30/2012 8:10 AM

Looks like the "ship" was riding too high in the water. The red band above the water line should have probably been submerged. THere are numbers clearly painted on the bridge pylons expalining how much clearance there is between the water and the bridge deck.

In reply to #12

01/30/2012 8:57 AM

They were two bridge spans away from the highest point of the bridge over the channel. Under the highest point of the bridge their antennae would have probably brushed the bridge. This boat is enormous for this lake/river. They are threatening to write tickets to people who go to see it now, because hundreds of people want to see this ship on KY Lake. It's quite a spectacle.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Barchetta (4); CaptMoosie (2); dkwarner (1); kvsridhar (1); lyn (3); Old Coal Man (1); ozzb (1)

Previous in Forum: Deep Sea Vents   Next in Forum: Help Doc, some hearing loss right ear, What could it be??

Advertisement