Previous in Forum: Tonal Language   Next in Forum: Where is the Incentive?
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20

AR15 Parts Plans

05/16/2012 11:53 PM

Hello all,

I'm a left handed shooter and I'm building an AR.

Left handed parts are expensive! So, I want to build some of the small parts myself. I have searched and searched for drawings of the small parts and have come up empty.

The first part I want to make is a left handed mag release. To do this right I need dimensions on the right handed part.

Does anyone have drawings for AR parts?

DISCLAIMER! I have no desire to make a lower or anything that would require a class 3 license, so you can check all the warnings and doom saying.

-A-

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 3

Re: AR15 parts plans

05/17/2012 2:48 AM

you should check with the atf before you start modifing your rifle. do they make a left hand factory version?

yes, i know it sucks. so do our politicians.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #1

Re: AR15 parts plans

05/17/2012 8:20 AM

This is exactly why I included the last line of my post. There are no ATF regulations on left handed mag releases. Nor left handed charging handles.

The controlled parts are the lower and the fire control group.

Left handed factory ARs are expensive and have too many non-standard parts that may be hard to get one day. SPECIFICALLY, a left handed bolt carrier assembly. I have no desire (or ability) to make one and I don't want to be caught out if they become rare.

-A-

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

Re: AR15 Parts Plans

05/17/2012 9:45 AM

Why invent a better wheel?

Troy Industries Ambidextrious Mag Release.

Installation of this device may be regulated in some states. Due diligence is suggested.

In reply to #3

05/17/2012 10:32 AM

Mag releases are regulated in California. Not a problem here. Due diligence done. Thanks.

The Troy release is over $60 and increases the amount of force required to drop the mag. (BTW, the right hand release can be had for under $10.)

Why invent a better wheel? Because this "wheel" is expensive and preforms poorly.

Because I can do better for less money!

Why settle for cr4p that someone else built just because we are too lazy or unimaginative or un-industrious to try and do better for ourselves?

*Holds up hands to the sky*

Why don't we act like engineers who occasionally do something more than apply an off the shelf part? . . .

-A-

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

In reply to #4

05/17/2012 10:58 AM

"Why don't we act like engineers who occasionally do something more than apply an off the shelf part? . . . "

Some of us may realize you can't get six pounds of $hit into a five pound bag.

Compare this project with converting an automobile from a right hand drive to a left hand drive. Yeah, you can do it...

An AR-15 platform is, always was, and always will be more operator friendly for a right handed shooter. That's the way it is. What are you going to do about the safety and bolt release? Will you be one-offing these, or have you purchased off the shelf refits?

What is cost effective about the operation of this weapon? I had that discussion a while ago... a fellow was chiding me for not seeing the value in a titanium firing pin. $35 at CTD. Ridiculous. I'll stick with my $2 stainless pins, thanks anyway. Whenever one breaks, I simply accept that as operational expense.

In reply to #5

05/17/2012 11:22 AM

Hey Doorman, I appreciate what you have to say. Thank you for the comments.

As to the five vs. six lb capacity issue, I have seen eight lb of accessories on a seven lb gun so I understand the potential for absurdity. However, I don't see how that is applicable to left handed or ambidextrous controls.

LH v. RH drive conversion on a car is a bit of an over statement. I am only trying to swap the turn signal lever. Safety, Mag Release, Charging Handle, Sling Mount, that's about it.

There are lots of folks who have paid the money and have perfectly functional LH ARs. My problem is that LH parts are 6 to 10 times more expensive than RH parts. A proper LH mag release is 10% of the cost of an entire gun!

I purchased a Ambi-Safety and modified it to give it a LH bias. I plan on using a RH bolt release as operating it with my trigger finger works better than a rightie having to use his/her support hand.

"What is cost effective about the operation of this weapon?" It is still cheaper to run than my .308 MBR.

If you switch to a fully shrouded carrier group, you may not break as many firing pins.

Thank you for the input, seriously.

Now, do you know where I can find parts drawings?

-A-

In reply to #7

05/17/2012 12:18 PM

Yeah, I agree the drive switchover would be a lot more ambitious. An exageration on my part.

Charging handle? With the catch on the other side?

Ah, a real life MBR! My M14A1 can be expensive to feed as well.

I usually get about 3k or so out of a pin in the AR, I can live with that.

As for a detail drawing of the parts... sorry, I don't have them. Will this info allow you to make the desired end parts?

And for the ultimate accessory, how about some chocolate ammo!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177
In reply to #9

05/17/2012 12:31 PM

Yummy looking! But do they make choc truffle ammo as well?

In reply to #9

05/17/2012 2:21 PM

High ambient temperatures may cause extraction problems.

-A-

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

05/17/2012 11:03 AM

Check out Central Missouri Machine Gun Inc (CMMG) and see if they can manufacture one for you, or have it in stock. They have a website.

I do know that both Ciappa and Stag manufacture AR-15's now with both right and left functions. Not sure about Bushmaster yet????? That what I have....an XM-15ES2, chambered in 5.56mm x 45mm NATO.

BTW, who manufactured your AR-15? Pre or post-ban?

I am not aware of any online plans for your intended conversion. I may have the plans for both the M-16A2, M-4A1 and AR-15 here.......give me some time to find it!! All of the parts are dimensioned, but I warn you that you will need a milling machine, a high quality drill press, etc. in order to do what you want + in high probability you may have to have some machining experience under your belt, otherwise you could ruin your original parts....

ps: It may be cheaper in the long run to sell your current AR and buy a leftie one straight from a manufacturer with delivery via a registered FFL....unless you're willing to travel to them and pick it up (most manufacturers do not allow this). Have you looked into Gunbroker.com auctions, etc etc.

pps: whatever you do don't mess with the lower, especially the trigger assem., otherwise you're into Class 3 and the local cops, state cops, and the BATF will nail your hide bigtime! It happen to one of the members of our local gun club here last fall....he now awaits trial and huge fines and possibly Fed prison if convicted.

In reply to #6

05/17/2012 11:39 AM

Thank you.

I have a Stag lower, post ban, and no upper as of yet.

As to all of your other concerns, I addressed them in the last line of the OP and in almost every other response I have posted.

I understand we deal with some harebrained posts on a regular basis here at CR4. Usually someone asking how to best blow themselves, or someone else, up.

I am asking about a little metal clip about an inch long that is not regulated by any agency. If I screw it up, a magazine will get dirty.

Thanks again,

-A-

In reply to #8

05/17/2012 12:22 PM

-A-, I understand where you're coming from....

Stag is a very good manufacturer of ARs. I'm considering purchasing one of their .308 models presently.....and they're right across the NY/CT border from me. I can get there within an hours driving time! Problem is they will not allow pickup of the weapon at their offices or plant!!!

I do have the Colt AR-15 lower blueprint in *PDF format (146 KB) that I can email you. As far as I can see, it doesn't show the release button in detail nor is it dimensioned. If you're still interested PM me with your email addie and I will email it as a file attachment. I think you're going to have to obtain a copy of the official US Army Armorer's Tech Manual (TM) for the M-16, M4, AR family .....it's something that is very had to find and has eluded me for a few years now. You may be able to find one at a gun show.....MAYBE!

I thing you're better off removing the part and taking a micrometer to it so that you can either re-use it opposite-hand or make a new part. And how re you going to machine a new hole, etc for the new release button? I sure hope that you have the power metal working tools! Then, there's issues with the interior guts of the mag housing itself and the anchor point for the original release spring, etc.

Problem is what are you going to do with an open hole where the part originally was? I foresee lots of future issues with dirt and grim affecting functionality.....mag jams and feed problems would be my first concern.

Wouldn't it be more expedient and less costly just to buy that $60 part and replace the release spring with one of your liking??????????????????

Anyhow, trying to help you out here...PM me if you want the blueprint.

ps: wanna see pics of my puppy, all dressed to??? hehehehehe

In reply to #10

05/17/2012 12:48 PM

I think I may have to buy the RH part so I can get the dimensions. I wanted to try here first. Obviously, it's not working out so far.

Thanks, but I'll pass on the lower drawings. There are plenty out there to be had, and I've no desire to build a regulated part.

I will look for the tech manual, and if I find it, I will pass it on.

The $60 part places a new fulcrum arm below the release lever and away from the center line of the spring. The preferred part places the pivot on the end of the threaded rod and places the fulcrum to the rear. This provides better mechanical advantage and shortens the distance required to stretch by the index finger. Versions of this part are over $100.00 This is more than 10% the cost of the entire gun. I can build my own little lever cheaper and have it be just as robust.

There is no issue with any open hole or additional grime having access to the internals.

-A-

In reply to #10

05/17/2012 1:42 PM

The grip was selected to give me the most forward hand position possible so that I can reach the battery button easier. A few parts installed sense this was taken. Take down pins, back plate with LH QR, safety, trigger guard, Single Point Sling, Ambi-Safety, Buffer Retainer and spring.

Stock, H buffer, and spring currently on order. I'm feeding it about $50 / week. Trying to keep a low profile with the wife. She's fond of asking, "Don't you have enough guns?"

-A-

Good Answers: 1662

05/17/2012 12:47 PM

I didn't think Texans piddled with small arms.

Ever think about shooting right handed?

Just kidding, but I imagine that most information is proprietary and hard to get.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

05/17/2012 1:52 PM

It's good to have options!

I'll be taking another picture when my AR is done so as to include 5.56mm

-A-

ps: any takers on guessing the flavors?

Good Answers: 1728
In reply to #15

05/21/2012 1:35 PM

I'll play...22 mag, 45 acp, 357 mag, m80, 12 ga, 12 ga mag 3.5"...

In reply to #17

05/21/2012 1:39 PM

2/7 correct.

-A-

In reply to #17

05/21/2012 1:50 PM

Ya missed the pellet in space #1, and he already told us he has a MBR that eats 7.62x51mm NATO.

In reply to #19

05/21/2012 2:22 PM

2/7 correct!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

-A- (10); CaptMoosie (3); Doorman (4); durtieduck (1); lyn (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Tonal Language   Next in Forum: Where is the Incentive?

Advertisement