Previous in Forum: NASA Gets Two Military Spy Telescopes For Astronomy   Next in Forum: Mickey Mouse on Mercury - NASA pictures
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 84

Venus' Transit and Hubble Space Telescope Captured Together

06/11/2012 12:44 AM

As if catching a once-in-a-lifetime view of Venus crossing the sun wasn't awesome enough, one lucky photographer managed to capture a little something extra with it.

In less than a single second's time, astrophotographer Thierry Legault's quick trigger-finger snapped NASA's Hubble telescope zipping across the sun last week, in the same moment Venus made its own trek.

In what would be the last crossing by Venus for the next 105 years, the rarity turned all eyes around the world to the sun; protective glasses, included.

See article

Quick catch: In less than a single second's time the Hubble telescope's race seen here diagonally across the sun, circled, was perfectly timed with the 105-year rarity of Venus' own. (click on photo for larger image)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 80

Re: Venus' Transit and Hubble Space Telescope Captured Together

06/12/2012 7:23 AM

Why are there 9x dots? This picture must have been taken in multiple exposures. I find this strange. That would be very fast for a SLR shutter if the total was one second as stated in the text.

Can you provide better technical info?

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 283
In reply to #1

06/12/2012 9:10 AM

A read of the article credit would help:

"'My Nikon D4 digital camera was working at 10 [frames per second] on a Takahashi FSQ-106ED telescope to record 9 images of [the Hubble Space Telescope] during its 0.9s transit,' Mr Legault explained of his June 6 photograph."

The article is LOADED with images of the event, and quite a few bits of interesting info. I enjoyed the article, thanks to 63Eu for sharing.

Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #2

06/12/2012 9:50 AM

Thank you. I hadn't seen the link.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

06/13/2012 8:30 PM

Thanks E. You get a larger picture in the article, where you can almost make out the HST.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Doorman (1); marcot (2); StandardsGuy (1)

Previous in Forum: NASA Gets Two Military Spy Telescopes For Astronomy   Next in Forum: Mickey Mouse on Mercury - NASA pictures

Advertisement