Previous in Forum: Need to determine density via scan   Next in Forum: The first data transmition
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Associate

Highest Quality Air Filtration Materials

05/14/2007 9:35 PM

I would like to learn more about the highest quality air filtration materials. I understand that glass fiber materials have been used for HEPA and ULPA applications (like semiconductor clean rooms) but I'm not even sure what HEPA and ULPA mean.

Are there materials other than fiberglass that can be used for these applications? Is this a good opportunity for new nanomaterials or very fine non-glass fibers? Also, most air filter materials are fairly inexpensive. Is this material sold for on a US$/lb. basis or US$/sq.ft. basis or similar?

Thanks for your help. I may have some ideas that I would like to explore with others once I learn more about this market.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Associate

Re: Highest Quality Air Filtration Materials

05/14/2007 11:09 PM

'Dollinger' is a known manufacturer of air filters. they do have a variety and range of filters for different applications. do try with them to get information that you desire. there are many more such manufacturers, but Dollinger is a known brand.Good Luck. will post any information on HEPA and ULPA once it is available.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/15/2007 9:12 AM

What do want to filter out?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

05/15/2007 11:37 AM

Walter,

You are correct that HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) and ULPA (ultra low penetration air) filter media are made from microfine (less than one micron diameter) glass fibers. These materials have been in use for many years in the medical and clean room industries.

Hollingsworth & Vose, Lydall, Ahlstrom and other companies are major suppliers of these materials in roll form. Companies such as Donaldson, Dollinger, Purolator and many others make the pleated or box filters that are sold to industry and consumers.

I'm not sure of pricing but believe these products used to sell for upwards of $10.00/lb. But, I will guess now that pricing might have dropped to half that amount. There is always talk of new materials that are much less costly, but I cannot say whether any other materials are truly competitive in quality or performance.

Good Luck and please share more about what you are doing. Do you have a new material you are trying to bring to the market?

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

05/15/2007 3:17 PM

Electrostatic precipitation?

Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

05/16/2007 1:15 AM

If you don't need dry air, then wet scrubbing is very good at removing dust.

In reply to #5

05/17/2007 1:50 AM

Yes good idea it will also reduce fire risk explosion risk, and allow separation of materials for any recovery of wanted waste. But can be a problem as well. You need a steady supply of water and a tank or two to collect the waste water. Your dust must be compatable with water.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 17

05/17/2007 1:50 PM

www.filtrationgroup.com

Check here, if you need a contact at that company I can get one for you.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); BrainWave (1); chittaranjan (1); DVader1000 (1); Labyguy (1); MillMatt (1)

Previous in Forum: Need to determine density via scan   Next in Forum: The first data transmition
You might be interested in: Industrial Filtration Equipment, Filtration Media

Advertisement