Previous in Forum: Accuracy of Ramsey Micro Tech 2101 Integrator   Next in Forum: Selection of Valve for Flow Control
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Participant

CO2 Gas Mixer Fluctuation in Wave Bioreactor

10/19/2012 2:04 PM

I have been battling a CO2 mixer on a Wave/GE bioreactor S200EH. Running it at 5% CO2 it fluctuates up to 8% and down to 4% for short periods. These are calibrated every 6 months, adjusting the zero and span potentiometers while concentrations of 100% N2, 5% CO2 and 10% CO2 cal gas are sampled. Sometimes adjustment is needed but most cals are within tolerance.

I've replaced pumps, sensors, hoses, filters, orifices and entire modules. I've checked the gas supply (CO2 and Clean Air), Tested the mass flow controllers. Everything works great except the CO2 mixer.

Does anyone know what causes the fluctuations? More to the point, how do I fix it?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 34

Re: CO2 Gas Mixer Fluctuation in Wave Bioreactor

10/19/2012 2:39 PM

Could you give more info. on your Wave Bioreactor? Is it a waste water treatment unit?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 59

10/19/2012 11:22 PM

Based on the meager info, the first thing comes to mind, that the CO2 fluctuations are real. The biomass uses up, changes acidity. Activity changes. Then new supplies come in and the cycle repeats. A bioreactor does not have to behave steady state at all.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

04/15/2013 9:05 AM

The bipreactor is used for mammelian cell growth. I can't say much more as I'm a Calibration Technician not a Biotechnician.

These fluctuations are short staccato like waves. They don't last more than a few seconds but are enough to trigger the alarm set points. So I dont think the cell growth is causing it.

I appologize for the length of time between posts. This is still an issue.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Joshi (1); jscott (1); leveles (1)

Previous in Forum: Accuracy of Ramsey Micro Tech 2101 Integrator   Next in Forum: Selection of Valve for Flow Control

Advertisement