Previous in Forum: Car Coasting in Neutral   Next in Forum: IGN Fuse Blowing
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Participant

Do I Have to Get a Dealer to Flash My BCM on 2001 Cavalier?

11/04/2012 7:57 AM

We've determined (hopefully) that the bcm is either bad or has a short on my 2001 2.2 cavalier. I got a used one from junk yard (numbers match) and couldn't get it to do anything--was reading online about having to "flash" this--does the dealer have to do it at a cost of about $100.00? Got to be a way around it! Thanks for your help!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: 2001 cavalier bcm flash
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Do I Have to Get a Dealer to Flash My BCM on 2001 Cavalier?

11/04/2012 9:22 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

11/04/2012 11:22 PM

I have not worked on your cavalier's but in Aus usually when we replace the BCM in our cars we try to get the key & associated parts to swap over to the other car so it all works together without having to take it to the dealer to get it all coded the same.

Guru

In reply to #2

11/04/2012 11:32 PM

This site:How do you reset a 2000 Chevy cavalier bcm says to just leave the key on for 10 minutes and everything gets to know each other and works after that.

I have no idea myself.

Power-User

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #3

11/05/2012 12:01 AM

definitely sounds easier than pulling every thing apart & paying extra for all the other bits. A lot of our vehicles don't have that option hope that works.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #3

11/05/2012 10:12 AM

Hay Lyn be careful with telling people to deactivate their pass lock system if their insurance company finds out that they disarmed it they generally wont pay off in theft situations.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 427
In reply to #5

11/05/2012 10:16 AM

Who would steal a Cavalier?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

11/05/2012 10:39 AM

I said, "I'd do this if it was mine:"

I did not advise anybody to do it themselves.

Besides, see BSR's comment, above.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #3

11/07/2012 6:24 AM

We tried leaving the key on--for almost an hour one time--nothing--chevy dealer here told me that you "can't flash the bcm--it is only good for one car at a time" while they told my mechanic "sure--$185.00" New bcm is $264.00--either price is ridiculous--it's just a little computer board! more will be revealed---wierd thing is--I can get the car to start with the old bcm if I tap on it while cranking--arrrggghhh! thanks for all your help!

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 14

11/05/2012 11:37 AM

True Sir, who in their right mind would steal a cavalier. But it has come as a problem from people who recommend such actions that then lead to issues later with the insurance companies. They look for any excuse to not pay, recently we had a company come to us and ask if we had deactivated a system on a customers car turns out the mechanic turned it off to work on the vehicle and forgot to rearm the system. When it was stolen they went looking for any excuse to not pay. later we heard that the mechanic was sued by the owner since the insurance company denied coverage he lost 15,000 for the vehicle and who knows how much for lawyer fees and punitive damages for loss of transportation and lively hood. Not a situation I want to be in, and everyone ASK'S ME WHY I DON'T MAKE KEYS TO CARS ANY MORE. Too many times I found these system deactivated when I went to make keys. I made customer sign off about systems deactivated covered my backside. But too many of my friends are now having to pay out to repair systems they did not deactivate because they were the last ones with hands on with a reciept and no documentation to prove they did not deactivate these systems hence my sign-off sheets that they poo pooed they did not need. Needless to say they all use them now after they paid dearly to repair things they did not do. We owe that to the scammer locksmith's and lowlifes in the world that the allmighty dollar is the end all to a living without discretion to the customer's safety.

06/03/2017 11:01 PM

This is an old post but some people like me use this for needed information fir ourselves, like me!

Chevy Cavalier BCMs cant be reflashed BUT it can RELEARN a key and ignition lock cylinder.

A BCM cant be Reflashed in that when it rolled off the assembly line, it was matched with the VIN. The options such as Cruise, power windows, fog lights, etc.are programmed into the BCM AND CANT BE CHANGED. If you put a used BCM on your Cav from a car WITHOUT cruise and yours did, your Cruise will be invisible to the car. None of the lights or anything for cruise will show upl. This is true for other options like ABS, fog lights, the trunk lock button. Your car will run and be fine, you will only have the options that were on the donor cars bcm. Also, the mileage dispayed will be from the donor car also.

That like I said is called a FLASH and can only be flashed once.

A key RELEARN is something totally different. I can only vouche for my limited experience. In one night, I tried 3 different BCMs in my 2000 Cavalier. All with the same key. I was trying to get the options I put on my car to actually start working.

How? By doing the relearn process that is easily found in a search. The 10 minutes on until light shuts off or quits flashing. . I did the one where you actually crank the vehicle when you put it in run. Also!!! The security light doesnt need to disappear. On one of the BCM relearns, the light just stopped blinking AND i had to do it 4 tines, not 3!!

I cant say the BCM key relearn works on later Cavs like 2003-2005 because the security system changed to passkey or passlock 3 or something. But try it anyways. Also. I used a BCM from a cav with a different motor. It was a bcm from the 2.4 liter. The car ran fine, I just didnt have the options I was supposed to.

One more thing. You can buy a brand new BCM ( or reman.just mean its not been flashed yet). It contains no info for options so you wont have any if you install it as is. The only choice you have when buying is with remote entry or without. The circuit board adds the remote part like the little antennae wire you will see dangling from it. Dont put a new one on in your driveway just by doing the key relearn. Your car will have zero options .THIS IS THE ONLY TIME YOU NEED TO GO TO THE DEALER UNLESS YOU HAVE A TECH 2. YOU DON'T! THE DEALER WILL MATCH YOUR VIN TO THE BCM AND PROGRAM IT WITH THE RIGHT MILEAGE AND OPTIONS. IF YOU ADDED OPTIONS, REMEMEMBER TO TELL THEM SO THEY CAN CHECK MARK WHATEVER OPTIONS YOU HAVE NOW. IM TRYING TO FIND A USED ONE WITH ALL THE RIGHT OPTIONS BUT NO LUCK. I HAVE A NEW ONE SO THE DEALER IS LIKE A $100 CHARGE FOR THE FLASH. Not a REFLASH....A FLASH....REFLASHES DONT EXIST!!!

All this info is accurate and very hard to find in one place. Lots of research.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (1); brettj1au (2); johnh94 (1); LOCKDUKE (2); lyn (3); Vanmansdad (1)

Previous in Forum: Car Coasting in Neutral   Next in Forum: IGN Fuse Blowing

Advertisement