Previous in Forum: IGN Fuse Blowing   Next in Forum: 3 D Structure
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Active Contributor

2003 Cavalier Starting Issue

11/05/2012 4:40 PM

Back again with another 2003 cavalier start issue. I had a previous issue where the fix was changing out the ignition switch. So at the moment the car has a fairly new Ign Switch.

Here is the issue...

The other day, my battery ran completely dead when I was about to start my commute home. I was lucky to have a friend near by that had the patience to come jump me. We hooked up the cables and started his car and began to charge it. When I felt like it was long enough I went to start the car... there was enough juice to crank the engine but it never turned completely over. From past experiences, I have found to listen for my fuel pump priming when having these issues so I turned the key all the way off and turn it back to accessories. Surely enough, I was not getting any priming from the pump ALSO I had no dash lights, however, I got head lights, windshield wipers, horn etc. So I sat a bit longer and turned the key a few times till finally I got lights on the dash, I heard my fuel pump prime and the car started as usual.

So the car runs a few days and starts as normal of course and this morning I went out to start it up and I have the exact issue as before, though this time, jumping it for a long while and messing with the key did nothing. I turn the key to accessories and to the last step before the "start" position and nothing happens other than hearing a relay click under the hood (one single click). When I turn the car to "start" the everything cranks as it should but since the fuel pump didnt prime, it does not start.

I am concerned about the similarity between the fuel pump not priming and the lack of dash lights, seat belt alarm, etc... Could this have anything to do with my ignition tumber assembly? Could it be that brand new ignition switch has already went bad? Or is it having to do with a drained battery even though a jump does not help?

I know you guys see a lot of Cavalier start issue posts but any help would be majorly appreciated.

Thanks

Brock

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Re: 2003 Cavalier Starting Issue

11/05/2012 8:07 PM

Just to let you know I have a question posted on here as well, but after looking at some of the answers on here I wouldn't trust anyone. Anyone can answer your questions, and right now I am in living hell with electrical problems no one is going to know exactly what wrong with your car. I can tell you that cavaliers wiring systems are all jacked up all years. Worst car I have ever owned.

CR4 Admin: Edited Post

Abuse/Attack: This post was deleted because it was an attack on another user. Please review the CR4 Site FAQ and the CR4 Rules of Conduct.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1663
In reply to #1

11/05/2012 8:38 PM

Don't let the doorknob hit you in the butt on the way out.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Active Contributor

11/05/2012 8:18 PM

Thanks for taking your anger out on derailing my thread... go cry somewhere else.

Register to Reply

In reply to #2

11/05/2012 10:35 PM

Lyn I seen some of your answers on here. Man what an Idiot. I noticed you didn't answer this guys question because you have no idea what the hell is going on with cars. No answers yet I see. I already had 5 reply's on the other forum. I wasn't crying I was trying to help you out by telling you this site is full of idiots. But i guess you want to wait three days for an idiot to tell you something incorrect. See Ya

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #4

11/06/2012 7:59 AM

Yep, you've found me out.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 283
In reply to #4

11/06/2012 11:00 AM

I went thru the chow line at about 5:30 PM CST last night.

I see that after I had supper, sour grapes were added to the line. It appears that you, scottttttt, had an ample ration of them.

Yeah, I am hard pressed to understand why members of the forum have no interest in helping you.

In reply to #11

11/06/2012 11:35 AM

Seems like some Cavalier owners have attitudes.

I guess one could hardly blame them, though. It must be stressful driving such a notorious (substitute favorite epithet here) vehicle.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 422

11/06/2012 12:57 AM

Nah, Lyn's just burnt out on Cavaliers. Seriously, we have tried to lobby for a special section just for Cavaliers. If you do a CR4 search on Cavalier you will see what I am talking about.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266
In reply to #5

11/06/2012 7:41 AM

I know they fed us something about what CR4 stands for.

But beginning to beleive that the C stands for Cavalier.

I wonder what the R & 4 really stands for?

In reply to #7

11/06/2012 8:19 AM

I think it stands for Return 4 another car

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #7

11/06/2012 12:27 PM

It stands for Conference Room 4, but I'm on board to change it to Cavaliers Run 4 (no one).

Good Answers: 21

11/06/2012 2:08 AM

Check for corrosion in the fuse box/relay area. I have seen this on several GM models of late and give same indications.

Good Luck

Fixit

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

11/06/2012 7:55 AM

Bad ground somewhere.... good luck...many other forums will give you advice as they are not sick-of/burned-out/fed-up with Cavalier questions. I have never seen a car with so many problems described on any forum!|

11/06/2012 12:22 PM

I have to apologize because I DO know how many Cav threads you guys receive on this forum. I happened upon this forum roughly a year ago and I was able to solve my previous issue using bits and parts of everyone's replies on the thread I had going. So I will try and keep this thread alive as I try and troubleshoot my issues.

If any mods can remove scottttttt's posts to clear this negative energy, that would be largely appreciated, as I don't want that to be the focus of my fix it thread.

Thanks for the already given advice and any advice moving forward.

Brock

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #13

11/06/2012 12:29 PM

Oh sure, but when you report something, we do get a ticket, no need to post the request

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #13

11/06/2012 7:28 PM

It does sound like you may have multiple problems: 1. something is discharging your battery(but not each time you park) - perhaps contacts on a relay sometimes weld together, or perhaps a relay is being held in by some stray current.... 2. failing to crank/light the dash/prime the fuel ( after re-charging the battery) - this could be one or more bad contacts, or that same (possibly) welded relay contacts or other cause of power drain, draining some of the charging current. I would suggest installing an AMMETER in your charge/power line from the battery (NOT between the battery and Alternator) and check for discharge each time you park. Then when you observe the discharge you can disconnect circuits one at a time by pulling fuses until the discharge stops .... then you have localized you problem to that circuit and you can then chase it further using similar methodology.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

11/07/2012 7:45 AM

Please do not hate all of us here. It just seems that the more Cavalier posts we get, the more flood in.

I do not like the idea of an amp meter as WAWAUS suggested, but in this case there is some merit to the use of one. Have you had the battery tested? If the battery is going dead, you will need to find out why before condemning anything else electrical.

Be careful with the amp meter install. There will be up to 60 amps going through it at times. Make sure there are fuses at both connections to prevent the chance of shorting the wires out. There could be a light that does not go out when parked, like a trunk light or a glove box light. Also pull the cigarette lighter completely out of the socket to be sure it is not sucking the life out of your battery. Good luck.

Good Answers: 6

11/07/2012 9:20 AM

Hello. A lot written here so at the risk of duplicating;

Cavaliers are known to have high ignition starter current . Chevrolets fix was to install a starter relay. Now the ignition switch lasts longer but it is neccessary to replace the starter relays about every 5 years or so. About $ 14.00 @ Autozone. (not an endorsement). The starter relay is a good point to start your troubleshooting the starter circuit.

Hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

11/07/2012 12:43 PM

I am going to start by getting this battery checked and tested at les schwab. I will let you all know how that turns out. I have read in the past that if there is not enough charge, I could still crank but not get electrical cooperation... Not sure if it is true but it definitely is the cheapest place to start.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #19

11/07/2012 4:32 PM

Hello. Yes battery condition is a good start. General rule of thumb we use is the battery maintains a minimum of 9 volts for the electronics while cranking.

hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 20 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bob c (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); brockfittro (3); Doorman (1); fixitorelse (1); grandpaw (2); lyn (3); Mizuti (2); ozzb (1); scotttt1970 (3); Tom_Consulting (1); WAWAUS (1)

Previous in Forum: IGN Fuse Blowing   Next in Forum: 3 D Structure

Advertisement