Previous in Forum: Critical Thinking - In a Country in Which People Only Want Boys…   Next in Forum: Metric vs Imperial
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Time - Fluid ?

02/27/2013 12:42 PM

If time "flows" as fluid what may be time "flow drop" ?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

Re: Time - Fluid ?

02/27/2013 1:22 PM

It depends if you are waiting at the hospital, or talking to a beautiful cat.
Del

Good Answers: 1662

02/27/2013 6:53 PM

If this is true, what will we do when the washer wears out??

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

02/27/2013 8:23 PM

I think they covered this in the Red Dwarf episode, "Out of Time"....

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #3

02/28/2013 7:33 AM

My favorite was the episode called "Backwards" and the look on the cat's face after coming out of the bushes.

There's a theory stating if anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for & why it is here, it will instantly disappear & be replaced by something even more bizarre & inexplicable. There's another theory stating this has already happened.D Adams
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 86

02/27/2013 10:11 PM

The Plank time, something like 5.39106 × 10−44 seconds. All time lengths are supposed to be exact multiples of that. No? S.M.

Good Answers: 249

02/27/2013 10:57 PM

If time is considered as a flow, then velocity is the variable that controls it.As an object approaches C, "Time" slows down.From the perspective of the observer in motion,everything is ticking along at a normal rate, but many years can pass a stationary observer in the same interval.

Like an observer standing beside a river,watching a line of leaves float by,versus an observer on a boat traveling on the river at almost the same speed as the leaves.

The clock on the boat ticks ever time a leaf passes the boat,and the clock on the shore ticks ever time a leaf goes by.

If the boat slows down, the tick rate(time) speeds up.If the boat speeds up, the tick rate slows down.The boat can never reach or exceed the speed of the floating leaves(C),but if it could, it would in effect,stop time totally,or travel back in time, but that would require more energy than is in the entire universe.

The tick rate is the same for the guy on the shore,regardless of the speed of the boat.

There! Clear as mud?

In reply to #5

02/28/2013 9:18 AM

Einstein was fulla "stuff". Time can neither speed up nor slow down as it's a dimension (one of the four that we exist in.) The speed of light, or the velocity of anything, is totally irrelevant to time as A. the speed of light is a variable not a constant and B. it exists as an element of content within the universe as we know it. (ie four dimensions... if there are more than four, they will still be dimensions, not elements.)

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 44
In reply to #14

03/01/2013 11:39 AM

It's funny that you use the word "irrelevant" when pouncing on relativity!

Show your work...

see that Del? I used pouncing...

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #20

03/01/2013 12:16 PM

"Show your work" brings back memories of 5th grade and long division. I'd learned both short and long, and thought long division was stupid and more work than it had to be. So I "invented" a new way to do division - and I always got the correct answer with my method. Every paper I turned in came back marked "F -show your work" and I explained to him that I HAD shown my work - that what was there was all there was. But apparently since HE couldn't figure it out, it must be wrong somehow. The "teacher" struggled for two weeks trying to find a way to prove that my method wouldn't work, and couldn't. Finally the dirty Bastfink found a "trick" problem in a joke book, one that wouldn't work with long division either but I was in 5th grade and not smart enough to try that, so he "proved" my method wouldn't work with that problem. So I abandoned my new method and forgot it, and completely lost interest in math. "Teacher" was happy because he'd forced me to do it HIS way - but I sometimes wonder if that could have been the beginning of a whole new and better way to do math... and that jerk just cheated the Earth out of an interstellar space drive. ie the brakes on my ship worked just fine until I ran into that "teacher."

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

02/27/2013 11:39 PM

Entropy? As time flows, entropy in the universe increases.

When entropy equal infinity, time will stop. If I remember my thermodynamics correctly.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661
In reply to #6

02/28/2013 3:25 AM

Entropy is rubish
Del

In reply to #7

02/28/2013 7:57 AM

It all runs downhill!

In reply to #7

02/28/2013 9:10 AM

You must be a young person. I experience entropy every day when it's time to get out of bed.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #7

02/28/2013 10:14 PM

entropy is a constant for whatever the ambient temperature is so if the earth warms up does time speed up?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #6

03/01/2013 12:28 PM

It is my contention that entropy is not a function of time, which as I stated is simply a dimension. It is my belief that entropy is a function of energy conversion from concentrated forms of energy to less concentrated forms (and thus less accessible). ie entropy is simply dissipation of energy.

As to time being a dimension leading to the possibility of "time travel" I always laugh at people who bring this up, and tell them, "Certainly time travel is possible. In fact, it's a part of daily life - you are traveling through time right now! Oops, right... ummmm then... right in a minute.... ooops there it went again! ie time travel is mandatory. NOT traveling through time is the hard one. (And learning how to travel faster or backwards through time is still unknown.)

Guru

In reply to #22

03/01/2013 2:05 PM

Correct. I entered this discussion totally underarmed to contribute meaningfully.

Entropy increases as energy moves through time, and is sometimes pictured as a possible means of time measurement. At least in my feeble mind.

In reply to #23

03/03/2013 10:09 AM

I was always taught that entropy was a measurement of the status quo, the balanced state of things, "a measure of thermal energy per unit temperature that is not available for useful work". It is a measurement and not an entity. There has to be energy for there to be entropy. When you get down to absolute zero there isn't any to measure.

You decrease the entropy of the air in a scuba tank when you fill it, thereby forcing the molecules into a tighter formation, which bleeds off the entropy, which is why you have to cool the tank by putting it another open tank full of water. When you spray paint out of an aerosol can, it becomes colder because the molecules inside, that have been crushed into a balanced formation that allows little movement, need more heat to move around more in the now lower ambient pressure inside the can, 7th grade science.

You can't measure entropy in an unbounded system because it is looking for the maximum separation of it's components and there is none, which is why the Universe is cooling.

Guru

Good Answers: 774

02/28/2013 6:24 AM

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

I'll explain later. I promise.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

02/28/2013 8:08 AM

An instant.

(For whatever sense that makes)

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

02/28/2013 9:04 AM

Time does not "flow" Time is a dimension, one of the four dimensions in which we exist.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 70

02/28/2013 9:46 AM

Bed time for me!

In reply to #15

02/28/2013 10:12 AM

I've long been of the belief that If or WHEN my ship comes in, it will do so under full steam, kill hundreds of people and destroy both ship and dock, and here's me with no insurance.

Power-User

02/28/2013 1:29 PM

If you are on vacation time is restricted thus it goes by so fast it is over before you know it and the drop is in your time to enjoy life...

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

02/28/2013 2:59 PM

I'm an expert on this. The drop is how long it takes for the spurt to occur when the drip is under pressure. (ex-spurt)

03/01/2013 4:09 PM

"flow drop"???Did you mean like a drop/droplet of water? Like a unit of time? If that's what you meant by the question, then I'd have to say there is none.

Asking what a time drop would be is like asking how much a piece of Length or Width or Height is. Time is arbitrarily divided by humans into various segments - but that's for the convenience of humans and has no relation to reality. You cannot divide a dimension into pieces because by itself it has no actual presence as we understand the term. Dimensions are only descriptive place markers in the world we exist in. (Like map coordinates)

Register to Reply
Power-User

03/02/2013 11:49 AM

If poets studied physics they would think up less qwestionable, but more dull, metaphors.

Time is marker of movement and process - if in the end universe had come to standstill, had become "frozen" and all all processes stopped time would have stopped too ?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #25

03/04/2013 5:51 AM
[quote]

Time is marker of movement and process - if in the end universe had come to standstill, had become "frozen" and all all processes stopped time would have stopped too ?

[quote]

Surely there would be some grumpy being that would say "it's been ages since anything good has happened around here."

There's a theory stating if anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for & why it is here, it will instantly disappear & be replaced by something even more bizarre & inexplicable. There's another theory stating this has already happened.D Adams
Register to Reply
Guru

03/04/2013 7:47 PM

I think it is Time to name our Sun...I'm not even sure if it has a number.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Register to Reply 28 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

129CBRider (3); cuba_pete (1); Del the cat (2); Geode Hunter (2); HiTekRedNek (1); lyn (1); nofluer (7); Ried (3); Rixter (1); Rockyscience (1); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (1); StandardsGuy (1); tcmtech (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Yuri B. (1)

Previous in Forum: Critical Thinking - In a Country in Which People Only Want Boys…   Next in Forum: Metric vs Imperial

Advertisement