Previous in Forum: Feasibility of water wheel powered generator?   Next in Forum: Design parameters for domestic refrigerator
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Associate
India - Member - New Member

Looking for Career Suggestions

05/30/2007 1:54 AM

hi,

I am mechanical engineer working for construction company as qa engineer fabrication and erection. I want to jump to oil and gas industries with my experience in structural engineering. Experts suggestion required. The right way to jump to oil and gas field. Interested in offshore jobs.

looking for experts guidence.

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Looking for Career Suggestions

05/30/2007 8:03 PM

move to Edmonton, Alberta.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

06/01/2007 9:50 AM

thanks

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/30/2007 11:32 PM

Suggest looking to gaining experiance in marine engineering?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/31/2007 8:23 AM

I suggest that you research all the big groups in Oil & Gas and apply. Network as much as possible.

Start by finding out who is listed as certfied vendors to the Oil & Gas companies. This info should be on their websites or public domain information.

Call reception and ask to speak to someone in engineering in that company of interest. Introduce yourself and ask for a moment of their time and get some one on one advice. It is a great way to start building a network of relationships that could lead to your ultimate goal.

ask about experience, any special qualifications etc.

Good Luck

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #3

06/01/2007 9:29 AM

hi,

thanks

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/31/2007 8:32 AM

Options:

www.oilcareers.com

Move to the Middle East

Search for work in Libya, BP have just signed $900million deal to drill a set of exploritory wells, prospect of $26billion.

Search for jobs in Nigeria, its touch and go, rigs have reduced to key personnel because of rebel kidnappings. (Never fall of the rig either there's a hell of a lot of sharks out there).

Move into marine or heavy lift industries, those which support offshore. Your fabrication and structural background are excellent for these industries. For areas such as sea fastenings and lifting structure design.

Advice:

Be confident, enthusiastic and assertive, know your stuff start reading oil and gas journals, search anything on the web that you can read and gain knowledge from. The more you prove you can learn and diversify the better.

Be prepared to ruff it; there is a real shortage of people entering into oil and gas industries who have a good technical background, are competent and are willing to get stuck in with hands on work and problem solving. Everybody wants to sit back in the AC'd office and manage from there.

Be prepared to take responsibility for people, there are a lot of guys who want to be in charge, but do not understand the responsibilities involved. You have to be prepared to push people and drive them.

Research companies operating in the oil, gas and serving industries, just knowing about these companies looks good on applications and interviews.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #4

06/01/2007 9:49 AM

hi,

thanks for your valuable guidence ,it's of great help to me

regards

Register to Reply
Associate

05/31/2007 11:11 AM

Suggest you search out what life is like on a platform first. The north sea is not a fun location. Working on a platform is 24/7 of bust ass work. I am sorry to say, but by the question alone allows me to suspect that you may not be one for off short work.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #5

06/01/2007 9:44 AM

hi,

I am not searching any fun location.I think you are the right person to discuss regarding my question.

Looking forward for your response.

With Regards

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #5

06/04/2007 9:10 AM

Hello sir,

where are you?

Register to Reply
Participant

05/31/2007 12:34 PM

Hello

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have quite a few friends who are working in the gas and oil field. They are working in Western Canada (Alberta). I am not sure if you are interested in work in this area, but they are hiring a lot of engineers. I know of many mechanical engineers working in Fort McMurray, Alberta (kind of isolated, but a lot of jobs there for oil & gas).

A company that came to my University to recruit for oil & gas was Schlumberger. This is their website if you want more information.

http://www.slb.com/content/careers/index.asp?

This is just one suggestion though. I am sure that there are many other companies.

I found another gas and oil forum, not sure if you've already seen this or visited -

http://www.oilcareers.com/content/community/

Hope this info is helpful. Good luck.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #6

06/01/2007 9:54 AM

hi,

thanks for your response and information,it will help me.

regards.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Egypt - Member - Member since 02/18/2007

Good Answers: 244

06/02/2007 4:01 AM

There are a lot of American codes and standards, which i prefer to use it, cover piping, pressure vessels, heat exchangers, structural steel works, ..... etc. So, if you want to jump to oil and gas you are requested to learn a lot.

A. For structural steel, in which you are interest :

AWS D1.1 : Structural Welding Code-Steel

AWS D1.3 : Structural Welding Code-Sheet Steel

AWS D1.6 : Structural Welding Code-Stainless Steel

AWS D9.1 : Sheet Metal Welding Code

AWS D10.9 : Specification for Qualification of Welding Procedures and Welders for Piping and Tubing.

And a lot of AWS Codes & Standards.

AWS = American Welding Society

B. For pressure vessels :

ASME BPVC (ASME Section VIII, Division1/2/3, ASME Section II, Parts A/B/C/D, ... etc.)

C. For piping (ASME B31.1, B31.3, B31.4, ..... etc.)

D. For heat exchangers, TEMA

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Abdel Halim Galala (1); Anonymous Poster (4); mecheng (1); shaffimj (6); Ydobon (1)

Previous in Forum: Feasibility of water wheel powered generator?   Next in Forum: Design parameters for domestic refrigerator

Advertisement