Previous in Forum: VWAT Vs HAWT?   Next in Forum: Relating Environmental Degradation / Poor Rains & Architecture
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59

Happy Earth Day! (Google Doodle)

04/22/2013 8:57 AM

Today's Earth Day Google doodle is interactive. Search Engine Watch outlines all the stuff you shouldn't miss when playing around with today's doodle.

Share your own interesting finds!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: earth day google doodle
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1744

Re: Happy Earth Day! (Google Doodle)

04/22/2013 9:15 AM

Googlicious....

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 71

04/22/2013 10:39 AM

Awww...the fun stuff doesn't work on this computer. If you click on the sun it will go day and night, click on the clouds and it will rain then snow, click on the caves to see a bear, I think a Badger comes out of the hole in the ground and the flowers that make the G change whenyou mouse over them.

Not a bad effort from the Goolge masters of data mining.

Drew K

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 5

04/22/2013 11:06 AM

I love Google Doodles! Here is a link to a nice article about who are behind the scenes

BBC News - Google's doodles: Who's behind them?

In reply to #3

04/22/2013 1:12 PM

I liked the one on Chaplin.

Drew K

Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 27

04/22/2013 11:04 PM

Why not celebrate the real occasion? Let's all toast Vladimir's Birthday.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

04/23/2013 12:24 AM

Why it is not working in my computer?. Any way I still don't know how(in which manner /precautions/actions) this earhday was celebrated. My suggestion is shutdown all nuclear/coal power stations, IC engines,Boilers etc and use EV,electric coolers,switch off maximum possible lights/sockets,save water,check pollutions to water resources etc on this day. will someone elaborate how it was celebrated yesterday.

Good Answers: 64
In reply to #6

04/23/2013 11:17 AM

Yeah, let's just go back to the Stone Ages where there was only the comfort of a warm fire, maybe their warm wife.

We aren't going backward.! But we can find ways to use nuclear power, coal and other natural resources we haven't even discovered yet, more effectively and efficiently.

The earth was made to be highly resilient and we need to be good stewards of it.

Many people need to retrain their brain from the thinking that this enormous universe in which we reside is fragile and will somehow come apart or disintegrate if we don't quit using the resources that were put here for us to us. Earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, hurricanes, etc. are all natural parts of how this Universe operates. They aren't manmade or stoppable by man. We're too puny for that.

In reply to #7

04/25/2013 9:20 AM

Hmm...I have turned over many rocks in my lifetime and have not seen a "made by ?" stamp on any of them.

People NEED to stop believing that if they screw things up that some 'divine intervention' will come in and fix it.

An ecosystem is a balance, upset it and wit will find a new equilibrium. Problem is that equilibrium might not support the level of civilization we have today, or human life at all.

If you have to believe in divine intervention then see it as yourself, you have been granted the ability to think and manipulate the environment around you. Reduce, reuse and recycle because until we find a way to get on and off this rock this is all we have.

Right now we are using energy at an alarming rate and there are a limited number of energy sources we have access to. Primarily we use fossilized sunlight that was gathered by plants and animals for millenia has been trapped and condensed into hydrocarbons that we can use for energy. The future is using energy more efficiently and finding ways to use fresh sunlight.

Drew K

In reply to #8

04/25/2013 11:02 AM

No one is saying that "if they screw things up that some 'divine intervention' will come in and fix it." There are natural laws in place that govern how nature operates and we don't impact the laws, they are what they are. What we've got, we've got. The earth isn't expanding. The Universe may seem to be, but that's just because we are gradually being able to observe more of what is there already.

Science and observation says that the earth is much more resilient and durable than those with a religion of evolution give it credit for. The earth's durability is not by accident. It was made for human inhabitation and therefore was made to handle the faults and shortcoming of mankind.

We do need to be good stewards and I'm all for being progressive with new ideas as long as they work effectively and efficiently in terms of resources and cost to the end user.

You say "an ecosystem is a balance" and you're correct. Only many people see the earth as fragile and that any little thing will unpset that "balance". Our earth is not fragile. It was made to withstand earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, man-made screw ups, etc.

It doesn't take millenia for energy to be produced. Check out scientific data from when Mt. St. Helens erupted a number of years ago. You can see there was oil formed in a very short period of time. It just takes the proper conditions of organic, temperature, pressures, etc.

In reply to #12

04/28/2013 3:36 PM

I will keep looking, but I still have not seen anything on Earth that says where it was made or who made it.

I can't believe that it was made for human habitation and designed to handle the faults and mistakes of humans. Instead it is a balance, and a balance on a very large scale. With such a large scale it takes a long time for it to tip and just as long to find a new center.

If you look around (do a google search) you will see that it is not just one big scale, but a collection of many smaller scales. Ecosystems that depending on their size that some can be tipped with ease into a collapse. The collapse will result in a new ecosystem balance. To think as many to that humans have no influence is silly. Look at organisms and animals that have become extinct due to abuse or overuse (overfishing).

I watched the beginning of the movie 'Idiocracy' today. It is terrifying what it says about humans today. The human race is still evolving and look at what parts of our society are breeding the most and you will see the future of mankind.

Drew K

In reply to #7

04/25/2013 10:08 AM

Can't we reduce pollution at least one day in an year,symbolically?.

In reply to #9

04/25/2013 10:39 AM

What good is symbolism? Especially when the premise of "Earth Day" is flawed and misused by those with a lack mentality.

Intentions don't do any good. Action based upon good, legitimate science and common sense is what is needed. We do need to recycle as we can. We do need to conserve as we can. We do need to look for alternative sources of energy. But all those things should be done under the guise of progress, industrialization, economy, etc., not.lack mentality, lame politically, philosophically-driven ideas, i.e. carbon tax, ethanol viability, solar panels, wind farms, etc.

Look for directional innovation where existing technologies can be improved upon while looking for alternatives based upon free enterprise, capitalism, without government iterference and involvement. If ideas and technologies have merit they will be marketable in the general market without the government.

In reply to #10

04/25/2013 11:00 AM

I think the Govt interference part is spot on. Does anyone know why North America doesn't produce sugar cane, or sugar beet for ethanol production? I heard that somewhere in South America they produce enough ethanol from sugar cane that they export it and don't import oil for fuel.

Anyone know the details?

Drew K

In reply to #10

04/25/2013 11:53 AM

it will create awareness among people

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Drew K (5); facilitiesmgr (3); JWthetech (1); LakeGrl (1); pnaban (3); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: VWAT Vs HAWT?   Next in Forum: Relating Environmental Degradation / Poor Rains & Architecture

Advertisement