Previous in Forum: Another 787 Battery Fire?   Next in Forum: The CNG Dual Fuel Aircraft is Now a Reality! Thanks for Everyone's Input!
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 50

Heathrow 787 Fire Possible ELT Cause

07/16/2013 12:35 PM

I know this is not official, but Reuters has this story:

Reuters link

Battery in Emergency Locator transmitter, from Honeywell, is suspect.

I still can't find anything on the 787 that aborted trans Atlantic flight the same day. Appears there's a news blackout on this one.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

Re: Heathrow 787 Fire Possible ELT Cause

07/16/2013 9:34 PM

Here's a link to the other one that returned to MAN, suspected hydraulic problems, gear down at 6,000 ft., used the entire runway to stop.

Good Answers: 50
In reply to #1

07/16/2013 11:24 PM

Thanks, the airliners.net pilot blog is interesting. I like the comment "The 787 is the 'Windows Vista' of the commercial aviation world! You thought you wanted it but didn't feel quite so enthusiastic about it when it arrived".

Most likely they put the gear down to burn fuel faster, as this blog indicates they were in a holding pattern for 3 hours. It also points at 2 heds and a galley with electrical issues. Near the end it say's it's back flying again, so it could not be too big of a technical issue.

I don't see why they are having issues (outside the batteries). They have not changed the power technology relative to 115VAC 400Hz (although it's wide frequency with engine RPM change). And emergency power is 28VDC, which is typical.

It's just going to take some time for problems to occur, and engineering to put in fixes.

I would have expected to find something here

FAA preliminary accident and incident reports

But there's nothing on either aircraft from July 12.

Good Answers: 21

07/19/2013 9:41 PM

ELT's used in most aircraft are very small in size. They use very little power from the aircraft as they are self contained. Also this type of system have been around for a very long time with out these issues on any other aircraft (that I know of). So what caused the fire is up to the investigators to figure out.

Reply to Forum Thread 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

fixitorelse (1); ignator (1); RAMConsult (1)

Previous in Forum: Another 787 Battery Fire?   Next in Forum: The CNG Dual Fuel Aircraft is Now a Reality! Thanks for Everyone's Input!

Advertisement