Previous in Forum: VBA Code for Excel (2007) for Newton-Raphson Analysis   Next in Forum: ASP.net
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 6

Linux Questions...From a Returning Linux User

10/21/2013 6:03 AM

1. linux file system can read windoze. (true?) so....if i install linux in its own partition

I should still be able to read and copy (but not run, since linux cant do .exe) my files

from the windoze partition. (windoze has boot issues, but its windoze not the hardware) or do I misunderstand?

2. since I last used Kubuntu about 5 years ago, there are new distros: mint, chromium, android. has anybody tried them and do u like them?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 138

Re: Linux Questions...From a Returning Linux User

10/21/2013 9:20 AM

I use Linux every day but I am not an expert.

I have not heard of people reading and writing back and forth between the main partitions of a dual/multiple boot machine. I'm sure it is possible but I don't know of people doing it. I do recall something about setting up another partition as a shared partition that both/multiple boots can use. Do a little Googling on "shared partitions" and see if my memory is correct.

I try to never access the Internet with a Windows (virus magnet) machine. If I need to download a pdf or an exe file I commonly do it from Linux and transfer with FileZilla or thumb drive to Windows. That should answer your read/write question.

I was very fond of Ubuntu 9.x and 10.x systems. Since then the Linux world has started trying to be like Windows and gone to a more graphical (tablet like) interface for everything with everything useful hidden under a maze of multiple layers of graphical junk to help the person who doesn't know what they are doing fail at trying to do something new. In addition, just like Windows, everything seems to change on every release or update.

I currently run Linux Mint Mya 13 and I think that at the time I installed it Mint was probably the least annoying of all the Linux interfaces that were current. I am considering Linux Mint Cinnamon as a replacement for Mint 13 since it seems to correct a few of the things I don't like.

On my older "just a tool" machines I still have Ubuntu 9.x and 10.x as my first choice. They were easy to understand and easy to use. For modern machines my recommendation is Mint Cinnamon.

One of the good and bad things about Linux is that someone else will give you a different answer with good reasons why their answer is correct. You probably want to avoid anything with "bad" recommendations. You will need to do some experimenting with what people recommend to find what is best for you.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 112

10/21/2013 11:51 AM

Linux can access Windoze file systems that have been set up as NTFS.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

10/22/2013 9:54 AM

In a world where sophisticated maleware is taking over most computers, the pressing question is why does your windoz not boot? The likely answer is malware. I know you have run all sorts of malware scans and none were detected. The new wave of malware is invisible to scanners. I posted an article less than a month ago on this topic. By the way no OS is a safe haven unless it is extreamly rare. Windows, Unix and the Mac OSs are equally vulnerable. I doubt that you can 'catch' anything from your old files. I would buy a new C: and install windows or what ever on that and use the old C: as D:. I will warn you unless you are super careful, you will be reinfected reguardless of your new OS in the first second you connect to the internet or 2 seconds on the outside. You need to have a high end firewall installed, up and running before you connect no matter what OS you are using. You likely have multiple bot nets on your C: drive. Your inability to boot is due to a turf war among your different bot nets. They normally are very stealthy and only heavily utilize your computer when you are not using it. I am sure you think I must be off my rocker how can I be attacked in a second or 2 after I connect to the internet I am not even accessing the web? In the olden days 5-10 yrs ago the largest bot net found and taken down was 30 million computers strong. Now the bot nets are really an order of magnitude more sophisticated. Once they infect your computer they can not be found with any software. I fear 100 million bot-nets are now a reality. With botnets that large they can afford to have 10-20 million sentinels monitoring a list of IP addresses for when they come on line. This is mainly to provide a 2-do list but also to re-infect a cleaned computer. It is much better to infect before the security software is up and running.

The problem is the moronic security software companies obsessed with everyone having the latest software do not supply installation packages that work without connected to the internet. This insures you will be infected before your security is installed. No wonder why the hackers are winning this war. My advice is try to find a software disk of some security software with a descent firewall. Set it stealth all your ports and block all incoming connections. These are the most critical and will prevent the re-acquisition attempt. You will need to reject all fragmented packets in your firewall before you browse the internet. 90% of the attacks come from fragmented traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_fragmentation_attacks

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35

10/22/2013 10:22 AM

Run your anti-virus/anti-spyware programs from your Linux OS.

You might also try just re-installing your windows OS on a separate partition. Keep your OS on it's own drive and do all your other operations on a different drive. That way if something becomes corrupted on your working drive it doesn't affect your OS.

Good Answers: 22

10/27/2013 8:40 AM

I use a Mac, and a Linux machine. Both have got Virtualbox (free), with a Windows installation. This allows me to set up the main computer to access the internet, and the Win XP or 7 in the virtual machine can be run (simultaneously) without connection to the net. I then set up access to the main desktop and/or downloads folder from the virtual machine, so data can be transferred within the computer. Any software I require can be downloaded onto the main machine, then pulled into the virtual machine for installing.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aDIYguy (1); BruceFlorida (1); GM1964 (1); Hooker (1); Janissaries (1)

Previous in Forum: VBA Code for Excel (2007) for Newton-Raphson Analysis   Next in Forum: ASP.net

Advertisement