Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Associate
United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

CAD program

06/06/2007 1:46 PM

Can anyone link me to a place where I can download a decent CAD program, with few or no restrictions for free? I've tried looking, everything I find has a 10-day limit or other such crap.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 21

Re: CAD program

06/07/2007 9:51 AM

I'm not sure if you can download it but look out for Turbocad. I've not used it myself but I know someone who got it free with a cheap sketching program.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 297
In reply to #1

06/08/2007 4:47 AM

http://www.freecad.com

Search for turbocad

You're after: TCAD_LE_setup_files.zip

This is a free version!

As mentioned elsewhere Google SketchUP is really easy to use for "buildings".

http://sketchup.google.com/#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-ww-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=sketchup

If it's electronic design (schematic capture) you're after: then TinyCAD is good

http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/

In reply to #17

06/11/2007 2:26 AM

HI !

I was going to use this cad porgram. for plans for an invention to use for patent info

on products like patio umbrellas & gazebos. is there a recommendation that you have on those products ?

THANKS

goldrush91447@aol.com

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 297
In reply to #18

06/11/2007 3:59 AM

For quick 3d drawings of mechanical devices Rhinoceros may be best and quickest to learn. If you download the trial version you can save about 20 times before you have to buy. The full version is much cheaper than most of the "big names".

http://www.rhino3d.com/

Good Answers: 3

06/07/2007 4:53 PM

You can install AutoCad for 30 days. After that it just simply will not work.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/07/2007 4:56 PM

You can download an evaluation for Rhino that allows you to save 25 times after which the program will still be working but you will not be able to save or export your work. It is cheap to buy though compared to other programs and much user friendlier than auto cad or solid works. It is a full 3d program, but you can draw simple profiles and export it as DXF files for lasercutting... After the 25 saves you can always reformat your hard drive or install the evaluation on another pc. I bought it 3 years ago and am very happy with it. The website is www.rhino3d.com Good luck..

Register to Reply
Commentator
Canada - Member - Proud to be Canadian

Good Answers: 4

06/07/2007 5:16 PM

Take a look at Google SketchUp. It's free.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/07/2007 5:21 PM

Try CoCreate Modeling PE. It is a subset of their flag ship. Does 2D 3-D wire frame and solids. You can download it from their web site. You will need to register. Each time you start the program you will need to be connected to the web. Yes, even dial-up will work. After starting the program you can close your web connection and all will still work ok.

Oh, I think the PE means Personal Edition.

Register to Reply

06/07/2007 5:38 PM

I'm not sure if Autodesk Inventor is still allowing you to keep the program for 30 days anymore, but try them. It's one of the better cad programs once you learn it.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

06/07/2007 5:43 PM

You might try this link:

http://www.intellicadms.com/

They offer the lowest cost AutoCAD alternative as well as the lowest cost Intellicad in the world from what I have seen.

All AutoCAD lisp routines work just fine too. Pretty excellent!

Good luck.

06/07/2007 6:25 PM

Try Turbocad

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/07/2007 6:34 PM

Do a Google on AllyCad. It is a south African company. They have a freware version that is only limited in the size of the design file. It is often used by students taking drafting courses. It has a multitude of tookits for mechanical, architectural, and civil engineering applications, it is 2D and it has a macro facility that allows you to even compile macros using a basic like language.

It is a nice piece of software

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 245

06/07/2007 6:38 PM

You might try things that run under Linux. I have not yet, but plan to use a linux CFD program that can be downloaded for free. My current CFD program doesn't do 3d, but the new one will (and most such programs are extremely expensive). I'm sure there is an open source CAD -- but sorry to say, I don't have experience with one.

I have Design CAD 2000 on this (Windows) machine, and with it you work in a 3D wireframe mode all the time. It's sort of neat in some ways, but a little flaky in others and not completely stable. But it's cheap. (OR was cheap -- I'm not sure its still available.) I'd rather have something like Solid Works.

If you want to make simple parts, Emachineshop.com has a CAD free program you use to draw up a part to be machined, and then you click to get a quote, and it spits one out. If you like the quote, you place the order, and your part shows up a while later. It's different than most CAD programs, in that you start with a piece of stock, and machine away the parts you don't want -- it's more like being in an actual machine shop doing it yourself, than the usual drawing routine.

06/07/2007 6:55 PM

Try http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/ it's free but mostly for electronic schematic creation.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 5

06/07/2007 7:34 PM

DesignCAD™ 3D Max v17 combines powerful 3D modeling with easy to use 2D drafting to unleash your imagination and creativity. Try it free for 15 days.

http://www.imsisoft.com/prodinfo.asp?t=1&mcid=397

"DesignCAD 3D Max is the ultimate beginner tool for creating precise, professional-quality drafting, modeling and animation. 2D drafting and 3D modeling have never been easier. Create professional-quality drafting, modeling and animation with ease and speed. With no previous CAD experience needed."

I am using DesignCAD 3D Max v16. It's not perfect, but it costs me under 100 USD (include shipping), and it's easy to use.

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

06/07/2007 8:59 PM

!yo baB,

try to download a Limewire program (just google it), its a data-sharing program for online users, its free! then you can search for any software, videos, music, at any format, even documents! search for autocad in Limewire and youll have a lot of hits, it will take some time to download it(bigger the file, more time you need) but if you have a good connection to the net, it might be reduced.....

Thanks......

Good Answers: 6

06/07/2007 10:18 PM

"where I can download a decent CAD program, with few or no restrictions for free?"

IIRC there is a free program called Inkster. Not a full blown CAD program but then what do you expect? A FREE Lunch?

06/08/2007 1:03 AM

Try MOI its free in beta version

http://moi3d.com/

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #15

06/08/2007 3:08 AM

HI !

THANKS For your great help, I've Been Looking for a good cad software for a long time & you helped me out a lot.

Thanks Again !

goldrushnugget999

Register to Reply
Power-User
Canada - Member - BC Born, Alberta Raised, Quebec (poutine) crazed... Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - An airplane is just a bunch of beams... Hobbies - Model Rocketry - Had fun as a kid...fun stuff Hobbies - CNC - dreaming of cutting Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - PID ME!

Good Answers: 10

06/11/2007 8:50 AM

If you are a linux user there's a bunch of free open source CAD packages:

• qcad (2D like autocad)
  • GraphiteOne(2D and 3D) are both packages that I've used a bit. GraphiteOne is pretty good and the not-newest-but-last-version-before is completely free. The newest version is purchasable. Apparently based on the same 3D engine that BMW uses.

Disclaimer: I'm no designer...I've only really used SolidWorks, which I like but can't afford, so I've simply been exploring the free options. I think linux has more to offer in this domain (the "free" domain, that is)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (5); Blink (1); firstflight (1); GOLDRUSHNUGGET999 (2); JOHNCCARTER (1); jrpeck (1); kkjensen (1); loud834 (1); MACA (1); Optimusprime (1); Randall (2); Stan The Man (1); Stirling Stan (1); willyap06 (1)

Previous in Forum: C5 Engine Noise   Next in Forum: Gin poles for the amateur

Advertisement