Previous in Forum: Motor Terminal   Next in Forum: Is Their Any Motor That Has Zero Back EMF?
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

How Can I Build a Hybrid Battery Charger for the Toyota Prius?

10/14/2014 2:37 AM

I would like to make a charger for reconditioning and equalizing the cells in a Toyota Prius.I would need to go from 110 vac to 240 vdc for the 2004-2009 Prius and 110 vac to 326 vdc for the 2000-2003 Prius. I only need 350mA of power as it is a slow charge to equalize and recondition the cells. I could either make 2 separate chargers or would prefer to make one with variable voltage. ( I bought a Medical Scientific Charger [Thermo Electron 57090ECA-115 ] that went from 1 - 500 vdc and up t0 2500 mA but when I hook it up to more than 6 modules it reads "no load" as there is too much resistance in the battery pack). I can buy the single voltage chargers for hybrids but I would rather build my own as they cost quite a bit and I would need 2 different ones.From what I have read so far I could double the ac voltage and then use a rectifier to get me to 340 vdc which would work then use a variable voltage regulator and a digital voltage display to get to my desired voltage. I don't know what parts to buy or where or how to wire it all up though including how to limit it to 350 mA?If anyone could help that would be great.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: grid charger Hybrid Prius
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: How can I build a Hybrid Battery Charger for the Toyota Prius?

10/14/2014 3:50 AM

Google it.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

10/15/2014 12:48 AM

I have done lots of searches on this topic and there is nothing on building a charger for balancing hybrid batteries

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #8

10/15/2014 1:30 AM

There is very likely a good reason why, "there is nothing on building a charger for balancing hybrid batteries" on the internet.

If it had been done before, successfully, there would be many references to it.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

10/14/2014 5:09 AM

Fool the Thermo Electro charger into thinking it's got a load by adding a (suitably sized and rated) resistor in parallel with the cells. This will waste power, but would be your cheapest and easiest solution.

Good Answers: 1725
In reply to #2

10/14/2014 12:16 PM

...or a series of light bulbs....

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #3

10/14/2014 6:24 PM

Yup that'd prob'ly do it. Haven't done the sums - I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader (unless my palm is crossed with silvergold) .

In reply to #2

10/15/2014 12:56 AM

No sure how adding more resistance would solve the problem with the medical grade charger as the reason it says "no load" is their is too much resistance from the batteries already. It works if I only hook up to 6 modules at a time but I need to hook up all 28 for a Gen 2 Prius and 38 for a Gen 1 Prius at once to really balance them right as it takes up to 24 hours at 350 mA to equalize them all.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 140

Re: How Can I Build a Hybrid Battery Charger for the Toyota Prius?

10/14/2014 6:36 PM

In one word... DON'T. The chemistries in these batteries can do all sorts of very weird and dangerous things when they are not charged properly. Go and buy a certified charger for this car to do what you want. The car... the garage it is in... the rest of the house... your family... your neighbours place... may be what is at risk. Seriously... do not try this.

In reply to #5

10/15/2014 12:46 AM

There are no certified chargers just a couple of companies that have made up something that works but only on a single voltage which means buying 4 different ones for between $290 and $530 a piece if you want to work on both Honda and Toyota hybrids. I did find one charger from Volteq for $600 plus S&H but it only goes to 300 vdc which is not enough for a Gen 1 Prius.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 140
In reply to #7

10/15/2014 6:18 PM

If you are going to work on customer's vehicles, then... you really need to get the proper gear. The liability aspect of doing this with anything less is staggering.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

10/14/2014 11:37 PM

Do you know why the specific chargers are so expensive?

Because someone spent a lot of time and money to make them work properly and safely. Look for used ones on line, or look to the larger battery charger companies. They will make more money if they have a product to sell. They have the expertise to make them correctly.

Good Answers: 30

10/15/2014 4:43 AM

It is impossible to equalise cells connected in series by applying a voltage to top and bottom. Cell balancers all work on individual cells. Even disassembling the battery to put all the cells in parallel for balancing purposes is fraught with risk. Furthermore your Thermo Electron 57090ECA-115 cannot possibly be a charger, as I know of no medical device which has battery supplies of that voltage. I suspect it is a power supply for an electrophoresis column with constant current control but no voltage detection. I join with others in suggesting you desist from this venture before you decease.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

10/15/2014 11:15 AM

The charger you bought is sensing the current and you are talking about 2500 ma

There are two ways to solve that issue:

1-To adjust the sensing current and the output current source of the 2500 mA power supply-to the right values, but it will be hard without schematic

2- use only the DC 1-500 VDC source and add a CURRENT SOURCE for the 350 mA

B-how much is the price of OEM charger ?

Good Luck

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bob c (1); daveross100 (1); JohnDG (2); lyn (2); North of 60 (2); phph001 (1); SolarEagle (1); td.actor (3)

Previous in Forum: Motor Terminal   Next in Forum: Is Their Any Motor That Has Zero Back EMF?

Advertisement