Previous in Forum: Pressure Vessel Baseplate Calculation   Next in Forum: Wanted: Proof Of Concept/Product Development ME
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

AutoCAD Assistance Fast-Forward

03/12/2015 6:23 AM

Hello all

I need an .STL file and have not used AutoCAD before. In the interest of not chasing around in circles, I could use some info beforehand.

Should 3D objects that will be interacting in Boolean processes ( addition, subtraction, intersection ) be constructed in the same layer? Is layering even applicable to 3D modelling?

Can those objects be defined with their co-ordinates relative to each other, according to their positioning in the Boolean processes, or must they be constructed with the 0,0,0 origin as part of each object?

Can scaling and object co-ordinates be defined with integers and then converted en masse to fractions or other units later? ( e.g. tenths, millimeters, cubits etc. )

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

Re: AutoCAD Assistance Fast-Forward

03/12/2015 7:39 AM

In reply to #1

03/12/2015 8:49 AM

Thanks for your response, Massey. I have looked at this site. My questions ( basically yes / no ) are specific to the use of AutoCAD, as a PC application.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102

03/12/2015 9:47 AM

Here's a link to the AutoCAD forum on STL files.

I only have ACAD 2007, but the Quick Reference says,

*The solid model must lie in the positive x,y,z-octant of the WCS.

*This command exports a single 3D solid; it does not export regions or any other AutoCAD object.

Have never done this, but I gathered: make sure you are working with solid objects and not surface bodies (since you are apparently new to AutoCAD, this is very important, not that I'm an expert).

To answer your questions: yes layering is applicable and very useful with 3D, although the term 'layer' is a little mis-leading. As far as the Boolean processes: imagine you have 2 intersecting cylinders, a blue one on layer blue and a red one on layer red. If you add blue to red, the result will be on layer red. If you subtract red from blue, the result will be on blue. (I'm not sure about intersection, but I'm sure it's on one layer or the other.)

The objects can be drawn/defined either way, just be sure your final solid is in the positive x,y,z octant of the World Coordinate System.

Googling "STL file AutoCAD" will point you to more useful information.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #3

03/12/2015 10:02 AM

First question answered. Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #3

03/12/2015 12:48 PM

Re-reading, "*This command . . ." refers to the 'StlOut' command in AutoCAD (2007).

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bigg (2); Massey (1); zzorb (2)

Previous in Forum: Pressure Vessel Baseplate Calculation   Next in Forum: Wanted: Proof Of Concept/Product Development ME

Advertisement