Previous in Forum: Medical Implant Polishing   Next in Forum: What are the limitations of humans and space travel ?
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Eucaryotic Cell Irradition

07/12/2007 11:07 AM

I want to irradiate eucaryotic cells with low-power, near-infrared coherent energy without disturbing their life processes. I want the specifications for a laser diode that will accomplish this for me, together with the necessary support for that diode and the capability of tuning it across its spectrum. Later, I will want to modulate the delivered energy with different frequencies. Any other pertinent information would be welcome.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 49

Re: Eucaryotic Cell Irradition

07/13/2007 10:54 PM

First, laser diodes don't tune. They are built to produce a specific frequency of light. So, next, ask yourself what frequencies are you interested in.

Standard laser diodes come in 808 nm, 879 nm (I think), 980 nm, 1330 nm and 1550 nm. Power can be anything from about 500 mW and down. The 808 nm laser diodes are the most common and least expensive. Also, their about as close to IR as you can get and still see. Very faint as visible light, but they'll still cook your eye bulbs, so watch it!!!

NOTE: there is a big difference between laser diodes and "Diode Lasers."

I assume you're doing something like (or close to) cytometery? Let me know a little more about what you're trying to accomplish and perhaps I can help more. I am willing to sign a NDF if necessary.

In reply to #1

07/22/2007 10:05 PM

A) I've been busy. Part of that is because my research is on a budget so thin that one can't see it when it's turned sideways. Also, I wasn't clear that I'd get a reply on my e-mail. Somehow, I thought I'd have to raise the CR4 site to find a reply. This way is better.

B) If you can point me to a series of books or tutorials such that I make no more stupid mistakes, I'd be grateful.

C) I don't think cytometry is exactly what I want. As I understand it, the effort there is either counting or identification.

D) I want to irradiate living, eucaryotic cells from a variety of sources with coherent infrared energy at very low power and between 800 and 1,000 nm. (To start with!) I want also to be able to modulate the wavelength to a degree unknown at this point. I don't want to disturb the life processes of the cells. The reflected and/or transmitted energy will show some modification if my thesis is correct. Detectors that will operate at these low levels will also be necessary.

E) A non-disclosure document might be necessary, if I knew what I was doing! I refer you to Albert Einstein's famous remark on the subject.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

07/23/2007 1:20 AM

Currently, I don't know of any single laser that can be tuned through that spectrum, except possibly for a Ti:Sapphire laser... But then you're talking hundreds of thousands of bucks if your lucky.

Fortunately, there are a bunch of inexpensive, low power laser diodes out on the market that can give you a range of wavelengths 653, 780, 808, 980, and so on. Also, if you put a piece of non-linear optical material in front of an 808nm diode (say, ND:YVO4) the 808 will turn into 1064nm.

Here are a couple of my favorite haunts on eBay. You should be able to find something to interest you.

lab-lasers-&-photonics and this place industrial-lasers. If you still need more info or don't find something you can use, feel free to come back and we'll see what we can do. Good luck.

In reply to #4

07/24/2007 12:56 AM

Thank you.

I looked at the e-Bay listing and it seems that the prices couldn't get any lower. It might take me a while, but I can surely afford the equipment that I need.

Is there anything that isn't sold on e-Bay?

The remark by Einstein was:

"If you know what you are doing, it isn't research!"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

07/24/2007 1:44 AM

Good for you! Congratulations!!!

As I said, these two links are my favorite haunts. There's always something of interest. And the prices are pretty good... There are a few sellers there that think anything they're selling should go for "big-bucks." But they're just the freak fringe.

Anyway if you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask. I love this stuff!!!

07/19/2007 11:15 PM

Hey! Where'd ya go?! Did I scare you?!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Medical Implant Polishing   Next in Forum: What are the limitations of humans and space travel ?

Advertisement